• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    I picked this up a few weeks ago (undocumented but an SRS hit). One of my more expensive purchases simply because M1911 collectors come to spend money. M1903s are a lot cheaper by comparison.

I pulled the file and fortunately it was tied to an issuance card with the trooper's name. Fred S. Spink, it took a while to narrow down which Fred Spink was the one I was looking for. He was born in 1901, enlisted in 1918. Sent to Camp Funston and was discharged from there when the war ended. He enlisted again, and was sent to the 14th Cavalry. He spent a few years there until he moved over to a field artillery unit in the late 1920s. He married and had two daughters. Sadly he died suddenly in 1952 while on a hunting trip.

I was able to find one photo of him, it was very grainy so I had a friend digitally restore it, to the best of his ability.

I pulled his service record (what was left of it) and ironically it was last updated in 2007 when his daughters were requesting his service number so they could get nursing home benefits for their mother.

Fortunately the seller didn't take great pictures in natural light. Initially it looked as it was rubbed down with cold blue. I asked for some pictures in natural indirect sunlight and it looked a lot better. I was after a M1911 to a cavalry or infantry unit and relatively original condition. I didn't mind used, I just didn't want abused. There were several I had to pass on because they were abused. (buffed and colt blued, markings like US property removed, etc). This fit all the parameters. The only downside is it was made postwar.

But I'm very happy with this one.

QqQv45Ll.jpg

l2g7Scpl.jpg

uzmdSCnl.jpg

GkWuZL5l.jpg

B7m6nIZl.jpg

LH4mUxwl.jpg

amLdKxfl.jpg

pnjhXTJl.jpg

xRPOmHsl.jpg

CpxG8Jkl.jpg

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Another great thread! This is what I look for in a firearm, as original as possible, not shying away from a "lesser grade" example when it comes to finish. I get nervous when an example is too "perfect". A bit of holster wear is just fine, especially in a military arm. The only exceptions for me are military rework or an example so rare that to acquire an example in any condition is an imperative. For example, I have an Army issue Colt 1909 that underwent rework, as many did, after hard service in the Philippines. While not what most Colt collectors want it was affordable at the time as high condition examples are highly vaunted and command stiff prices, just like with the 1911 (try to find a Marine Corps marked 1909 for anything less than $3k).
    -Glad you were able to dig up as much as you did on the service record of Mr Spink. I've found the US military record system difficult to access, unlike my forays into Canadian records. Also love the cavalry gear, really does tie the arm to a specific period, in this case the end of the use of horses for cavalry in the field. Moving forward they would rely on mechanized technology, but still carry the 1911.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    -Another great thread! This is what I look for in a firearm, as original as possible, not shying away from a "lesser grade" example when it comes to finish. I get nervous when an example is too "perfect". A bit of holster wear is just fine, especially in a military arm. The only exceptions for me are military rework or an example so rare that to acquire an example in any condition is an imperative. For example, I have an Army issue Colt 1909 that underwent rework, as many did, after hard service in the Philippines. While not what most Colt collectors want it was affordable at the time as high condition examples are highly vaunted and command stiff prices, just like with the 1911 (try to find a Marine Corps marked 1909 for anything less than $3k).
    -Glad you were able to dig up as much as you did on the service record of Mr Spink. I've found the US military record system difficult to access, unlike my forays into Canadian records. Also love the cavalry gear, really does tie the arm to a specific period, in this case the end of the use of horses for cavalry in the field. Moving forward they would rely on mechanized technology, but still carry the 1911.

Thanks Mawkie, I liked how this one turned out. Past 3-4 years I've been buying basic gear as props so when I do a themed layout I got stuff that would hopefully compliment the SRS hit and create a theme around the paperwork. Here I did my best for what a 1920 trooper may have had in his equipment or uniform items.

As far as pristine pieces, what I've noticed is the high condition items usually are officer purchases. So they were taken out of government usage/circulation. Probably sat in a box or closet. Typically SRS hits show use (with few exceptions) simply because was a tool recorded at being used, lost, repaired, etc. So the majority of items in my collection are not high condition for that reason. But doesn't bother me because high condition usually commands premium price. And I'm on a peasant budget for collecting haha

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Helps that your focus is provenance right out of the gate. A very different lane compared to the majority of collectors. But 1911s, like Lugers, can get very expensive quickly. I attended a Morphy auction about 10 yrs ago and was floored at the bidding for a North American Arms produced example (one of only about 100 built in the ex-Ross Rifle factory in Quebec!). Seem to remember it crossing the finish line @ $85K.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Helps that your focus is provenance right out of the gate. A very different lane compared to the majority of collectors. But 1911s, like Lugers, can get very expensive quickly. I attended a Morphy auction about 10 yrs ago and was floored at the bidding for a North American Arms produced example (one of only about 100 built in the ex-Ross Rifle factory in Quebec!). Seem to remember it crossing the finish line @ $85K.
    You definitely have a point.

The majority of collectors look at condition and originality. I just look at SNs. If it’s not a hit I simply move on. If it is a hit I try to figure out how interesting the hit is (sometimes if time permits I try and pull the file prior to bidding). Probably went through 800-900 auctions over the course of a few years and finding less than 10 hits. Most had significant problems.

Most advanced collectors want rare time capsule pieces. Which I certainly can appreciate, just can’t afford so I found another avenue that is largely ignored.

LuckyShot

Pissing off Liberals
    Apr 13, 2010
    on 270
    Looks great! What avenues did you use to research the soldiers life?

I've always wanted to research my swiss 96/11 soldier but the swiss army archives could only give me so much.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    In the end it is a competitive world and you've found a less travelled lane that lets you enjoy what's important and of interest to you. I appreciate anyone with innate curiosity, it's what drives me. A need to learn. I'm that guy who's watching something interesting on TV and just has to run to the 'net to look up more information on the subject at hand.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Looks great! What avenues did you use to research the soldiers life?

I've always wanted to research my swiss 96/11 soldier but the swiss army archives could only give me so much.
    It was a combination of multiple locations. The National Archives Personnel Files in St Louis (not much there to be expected), ancestry, fold3, newspapers archives, family search (this one is a gold mine for inter-war stuff and best part its free). Those were the majority of the locations I use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom