• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 11wideglide

Feb 3, 2017
    Baltco
    I called MSP and I explained I am building a AR15 rifle on a post 10/1 lower. I asked what is the qualification(s) a barrel must meet in order to be considered a heavy barrel. I was told "As long as the manufacturer OR Store that sold you the barrel has it advertised as a heavy profile barrel than it is MD Legal". I confirmed it with the person I spoke to that it does not have to be stamped and than she repeated the above quote. I also asked if I thought it was questionable would it be beneficial to me to keep a copy of the sales receipt / description, she responded "yes"

Now with that being said I came across the barrel in the link below, advertised as Heavy in multiple places, cannot find anything direct from Colt stating profile. Colt's parts section directs users to Brownells or Midway. Just concerned because it has the "evil" grenade launcher cut. Thoughts anyone?

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...th-sight-tower-sku160000399-71337-146423.aspx

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Buy it. Print that page and save it like it was a stamp, and enjoy shooting it. Make sure, if you are not using it on a pistol or a registered SBR(in which case, it wouldn't need to be Hbar), that you permanently attach a muzzle device that will take you to 16'' of legal barrel length.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Buy it. Print that page and save it like it was a stamp, and enjoy shooting it. Make sure, if you are not using it on a pistol or a registered SBR(in which case, it wouldn't need to be Hbar), that you permanently attach a muzzle device that will take you to 16'' of legal barrel length.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, what he said.

:D

11wideglide

Feb 3, 2017
    Baltco
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I do know about the pin/weld. Know anyone in North Baltco / Harco that can do a pin / weld job? I do not have a welder

cokebuck

Don't Re-Member
    Apr 1, 2016
    I've been entertaining the idea of building a 458 upper but I just don't know how much I'm going to be able to shoot a $3-$6 round. And no I ain't reloading.

It would make that steel ring a fine tune.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've been entertaining the idea of building a 458 upper but I just don't know how much I'm going to be able to shoot a $3-$6 round. And no I ain't reloading.

It would make that steel ring a fine tune.

Good for pig killin'

Not so much of a range toy though...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes, I would be intrigued by a .458scom. Unless I stumble upon stupid great deal, it is well down the list of $ priorities.

If you don't reload, it would be a " sight in a beginning of season, then only shoot at things that walk on all fours and taste good. Next year buy another box, repeat.

Meanwhile on the original subject :
    If you are having this much mental stress over this bbl, don't use one. Plenty of other options out there without the grey .

11wideglide

Feb 3, 2017
    Baltco
    1 more question guys, could I legally run a flash suppressor on this barrel, or would it have to be a muzzle brake? Yes it will be perm. attached. Thank you!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom