13 years is all you get for murdering someone in broad daylight in front of their kids…

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LAC_MD

Oct 18, 2022
    Towson
    From the article:

"...Miller had dated Harris’s sister, according to court records.

Prosecutors said the two men had an ongoing dispute, and Harris fatally shot Miller, who was holding the hand of his 5-year-old child and carrying his infant in a car seat in his other hand.

Harris, who was on probation at the time for three separate gun possession cases, was arrested two months later. [Not sure if they mean after killing Miller or the probation.] He was charged with first-degree murder while armed.
    In addition to the 13 years, Harris could face prison time for the three previous unlawful gun possession cases in which he was on probation at the time of the shooting. Judge Rainey Brandt ordered Harris to undergo mental health and substance abuse treatment while incarcerated."
    Just sad very sad…

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    How can shooting someone 11 times be considered manslaughter? Did he have a seizure after finding a gun on the street?

In the same jurisdiction, a police officer was not only charged with but convicted of second degree murder for trying to pull over a moped driver for riding on a sidewalk and without a helmet. Of course, that person fled, crashed and died of a head injury. But DC prosecutors thought it was the officer’s fault for pursuing the criminal.

Justice is a pipe dream.
    I could be mistaken but I believe there was a specific prohibition on such a chase/persuit to prevent events like this, which both officers misrepresented in their official reports.

Last edited:

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    How can shooting someone 11 times be considered manslaughter? Did he have a seizure after finding a gun on the street?

Justice is a pipe dream.
    Duh, everyone knows the problem is guns. In this case the gun didn't yell "STOP!" before the 11th shot.

Has been said by others, we have a legal system, not a justice system. There are things that are legal that are not just and things that are just that are not legal.

I could be mistaken but I believe there was a specific prohibition on such a chase/persuit, which both officers misrepresented in their official reports.
    I don't see why cops should do anything at this point. Just nonchalantly show up after the fact if they are called, take some notes/statements and move on.

Ismee

Jan 6, 2018
    Duh, everyone knows the problem is guns. In this case the gun didn't yell "STOP!" before the 11th shot.

Has been said by others, we have a legal system, not a justice system. There are things that are legal that are not just and things that are just that are not legal.

I don't see why cops should do anything at this point. Just nonchalantly show up after the fact if they are called, take some notes/statements and move on.
    {sarcastically}, I believe that's kind of what happened here, they just didn't mention the part about the chase, and didn't cover the dash/body cams

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    From the article:

"
    Harris, who was on probation at the time for three separate gun possession cases, was arrested two months later. [Not sure if they mean after killing Miller or the probation.] He was charged with first-degree murder while armed.
    In addition to the 13 years, Harris could face prison time for the three previous unlawful gun possession cases in which he was on probation at the time of the shooting. Judge Rainey Brandt ordered Harris to undergo mental health and substance abuse treatment while incarcerated."

Did he get one probation for 1 possession case that had three charges? Or did he get 3 probations for 3 separate instances?

Maybe if he wasn't on probation .....

Last edited:

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    11 shots....

So was it a 10 Round Magazine +1 in the chamber or was he carrying a "high capacity magazine"?

Anybody know?

Not sure what Harris had but from another article: "According to court documents, 13 cartridge casings from a 9 mm handgun were found by Miller's body. Police also discovered a green satchel that contained Miller's ID card and a Taurus handgun which had one round in the chamber and six rounds in the 12-round capacity magazine."

So both felons were in posession of high cap mags, unlicensed pistols, unregistered ammo, etc, etc.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    I didn't realize the kids were Harris' sisters' so they were his neice/nephew!

Also looks like Harris had a stable upbringing. From the judge at sentencing: "I do believe you are really sorry,” Judge Brandt said. “The support was there. Your parents are married and are employed. They raised seven kids with some even being police officers and a school teacher. I keep scratching my head about what went wrong. Mr. Miller was apart of your family. He was the father of your sister’s children. The same children that witnessed you shooting their father 11 times. Use this time to reflect, read and good luck to you sir.”

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Not sure what Harris had but from another article: "According to court documents, 13 cartridge casings from a 9 mm handgun were found by Miller's body. Police also discovered a green satchel that contained Miller's ID card and a Taurus handgun which had one round in the chamber and six rounds in the 12-round capacity magazine."

So both felons were in posession of high cap mags, unlicensed pistols, unregistered ammo, etc, etc.
    Thanks for the info. How about that.... Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom