• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I just ordered 1k of these to get myself started in reloading. Powder will be W-231 which a kind MDS member will be picking up for me in NC Friday. Couple of questions for those much more experienced:

Looking at Hogden's website, they list RN, but not LRN. Should I be using the data from the RN section? C.O.L. = 1.100" and starting at 4.3gr of powder with velocity of 1079 and a max of 4.8gr with a velocity of 1135.

On Xtreme's website, they have this for their "Load data":

"Load Info:
    - Our Copper Plated Bullets can be run at mid-range jacketed velocities or higher end lead velocities. We do not recommend velocities over 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and only a light taper crimp.
    Any velocities over 1200 FPS we recommend either our Heavy Plate Concave Base or Hollow Point products for superior accuracy. We do not recommend velocities over 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and only a light taper crimp.
    - All of our Hard Cast Lead Bullets are approximately 18 on Brinell, our Cowboy lead bullets are approximately 15 on Brinell."

Hogden's Load Chart: http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    By the chart, you should do well starting at 4.5 grains with a 1.14 COAL. Check that with a few reloading manuals.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    just looking back at the chart and I'm a bit confused by the COAL you listed. Can you point me to how you came up with the 1.14?

I have done a fair bit of reading for the competition reloaders (IDPA, USPSA.) The recommendation is to load as long a COAL as will reliably feed from your magazine to improve accuracy. Most recommend 1.135 - 1.14. The Hodgdon site even lists some loads out to 1.169. I don't think those are likely to feed. The Lee Modern Reloading, lists some out to 1.142.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I just looked at the data on the Hodgdon site and their COL recommendation is a bit peculiar.
    I think that the range 1.135-1.15" is reasonable, and I would be a little apprehensive loading at 1.10" as suggested on the site.
    As Traveler notes, the worst problem with a too long COL is improper feeding, but with a too short COL , over pressure.
    DocAitch

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Just using some theory here, not experience.

Wouldn't the COL be determined more by the length of the bullet that is being used?

RN vs FMJ vs HP???

IF all of these were the same length, to get the same seating depth (to keep pressures consistent), the COL would be the same, but if they are different sizes, the COL would change.

I figure it's better to ask too many questions than to get the wrong information with all of this :)

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Bullet weight plays a role in how much powder you use. Bullet shape plays a role in the COAL. For example, a 147 grain .355 bullet, leaves less room for powder than a 115 grain bullet of the same shape (i.e. round nose.) The heavier bullet, at the same COAL, goes deeper into the case, resulting in a higher pressure, if you use the same amount of powder you did on the lighter bullet. That would make for a bad day. Checking the round with calipers, a case gauge, and the plunk test (dropping the round into your chamber, then dropping it out, with only gravity), and magazine feed, are your best tests to see if your firearm likes that COAL.

Bullet diameter (lead or plated - .356, vs jacketed - .355) will vary your powder charge as well. Bigger bullet diameter, better seal in barrel, less powder to get the job done.

The 9mm and .40 SW are considered high pressure rounds, so take special care with the COAL and powder charges. My reloading manuals tell me those two cartridges are less forgiving than say .45 ACP.

Always check several reloading manuals to confirm anything in a forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom