• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vfr750f

Feb 2, 2008
    I was shooting my 1979 dated P1 with my 124 grain reloads when I noticed that the recoil pulse felt a bit different - as if the slide had locked back on an empty magazine but I knew that rounds remained in the magazine. The slide was partially back, but I wasn't able to move it forward or back easily. I ended up tapping the slide forward off the frame and noticed the broken lug on the locking block - interesting. This is the same pistol that has spontaneously ejected the extractor from the frame on at least 2 occasions. I also own a 1941 dated Walther P38 that has fired the same number of rounds of the same ammo as the P1 with absolutely no issues at all. So I'm not terribly impressed by the P1 thus far, and would definitely go with the P38 if my life depended on it and I was forced to choose between the two. My P1 is one of the later models with the reinforcing pin in the frame. I've ordered a replacement locking block so we'll see how that goes.

Attachments

• DSC05657.jpg
      DSC05657.jpg
      74.5 KB · Views: 1,454
    • DSC05658.jpg
      DSC05658.jpg
      83.2 KB · Views: 750

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    well that sucks. it looks like a cast piece.
    hope the other one holds up better.

Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    People’s Republic of Maryland
    I have heard that hot loads can be problematic in these guns. Stick to factory made 115 grain 9mm ammo.

I have shot a thousand rounds 115 grain ammo through my 1978 P1, without the hex bolt, with no problems.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    If you Google "Walther P1 broken block" you'll find you're in good company. This isn't the first broken P1 locking block I've heard about and it won't be the last. Luckily the frame isn't damaged and a replacement is easily available and cheap (RTG has 'em for $25)
    Good luck on getting her repaired and back on the line!

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    My Russian captured p38 did the same thing with 115gr factory ammo. Got a p1 replacement part. I hope it holds up. Good luck to you.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    Interesting that your locking block has an electro-penciled partial serial number on it. My P1 has the partial serial number very professionaly displayed on it. It's not electro-penciled. I also have some sort of marking like a proof mark on mine. Maybe Walther changed the design/manufacture of the part at some point.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Aw heck, a little JB Weld and you'll be good as new....ok, obviously that's a joke. Sorry to see that. Is it a part that is hard to come by?

vfr750f

Feb 2, 2008
    I ended up ordering one from CDNN Sports, Inc. Very fast shipping - this block also has a partial electropenciled serial number much like my original. So, clearly not new, but when I checked their web page again, they did not claim that is was new, but did say it was a Walther part. I'll see how long this one lasts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom