• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Another birthday gift from the pups - New Photos!

Every year my pups scour the 'net to find me something nice that's C&R for my birthday. They're gotten wonderful stuff like a Ross MkII Military Match rifle and the Enfield No2 MKIV trainer they found last year. This year was no exception and they did themselves proud, finding a rare French Mle 1950 9mm pistol at an Ohio auction yesterday, ending a 15 year search.
    The Mle 1950 is a beefed-up version of the 1935a, allowing it to handle the 9 x 19mm cartridge. The 1935a, while an excellent pistol, had the drawback of using a rather wimpy 7.65mm cartridge. Suffice to say, the Viet Cong were not impressed when shot with this round and often kept going about their business. The Mle 1950 did a much better job of stopping them in their tracks (think Moros vs. Colt Model 1911).
    The Mle 1950 has been a front line handgun for the French military and Gendarmerie for nearly 50 years. Unfortunately the French signed onto the UN small arms treaty and no Mle 1950s will ever be exported to the US. They'll be destroyed instead. About 250 examples did get imported from South Vietnam in the late 50s or early 60s along with bring-back trophies from 'Nam. So the number available in the US is very small. My example is an early one built by MAC (Manufacture d'Armes de Châtellerault) which produced them from '53-'63. MAS (Manufacture d'Armes de St-Etienne) built them from '63-'78 so all of the imported pistols would have been MACs, making any Mle 1950 marked MAS extremely rare here in the US. I won't know if it's one of the imports or a bring-back until it arrives and I can examine it.
    10/5/12- Pistol arrived today, less than a week from the auction date. Great service!
    No export marks whatsoever, it is a bring-back! Finish is all original, thinning parkerizing. Grips are intact, no chips. Reminds me of a Beretta 1950. Bore looks a bit rough but I think it'll clean up.
    Picked up a proper MAC-50 Holster, Model 1948 GT2, a while ago. You see these in NOS condition all around. So much easier to find than the pistols that they were designed to carry!

Attachments

• DSC01567.JPG
      DSC01567.JPG
      46.9 KB · Views: 493
    • mac 1950-1.jpg
      mac 1950-1.jpg
      92.4 KB · Views: 576
    • mac1950-2.jpg
      mac1950-2.jpg
      72 KB · Views: 538
    • IMGP6267.JPG
      IMGP6267.JPG
      80.4 KB · Views: 387
    • IMGP6265.JPG
      IMGP6265.JPG
      68.4 KB · Views: 609
    • IMGP6269.JPG
      IMGP6269.JPG
      90.1 KB · Views: 317
    Last edited:

dancnr

Jul 27, 2011
    Washington County
    Your dogs have excellent taste in gifts. I'm sure its rewarding to fill such an extremely rare hole in your collection congrats. Also thanks for the info, I usually learn something in your posts.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Thanks for finally posting the pics! ;)
    I've been checking back here specifically to find this thread! Glad you got it and will be eagerly awaiting you to post pics of your own when it arrives and gets checked into your museum :D

Great pistol!

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Something ironic about "front line" and "French" being used in the same sentence. Unless we're talking about a Napoleonic era musket. That's a neat looking pistol. I love old obscure finds. I bet it's a great shooter.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Awesome! I am happy if my pups just remember to crap in the yard.
    Congrats on finding your new toy!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    The Mle 1950 has a good rep for being accurate. The Swiss SIG P210 borrowed heavily from Petter's design for the French Mle 1935a, the basis for the Mle 1950. I just hesitate to shoot these as parts, like the extractor and firing pin, are difficult to get. Though I do have a friend who is active duty in the Gendarmerie and has gotten parts for MAS 49s for me in the past.
    Did run across a photo of one of the imported Mle 1950s and it has "France" stamped on the right side of the frame, just above the trigger. Photos from the auction house don't show any stamp so I'm getting more hopeful that this is indeed a 'Nam bring-back.

cjl7

Apr 2, 2012
    Happy Birthday. Who did you get to train those dogs? Id like to meet them

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Something ironic about "front line" and "French" being used in the same sentence. Unless we're talking about a Napoleonic era musket. That's a neat looking pistol. I love old obscure finds. I bet it's a great shooter.

Many of the French troops in Vietnam were Foreign Legion, so they weren't French at all. That could explain the apparently glaring contradiction in terms.

Mawkie - I'm betting that's a bring back. Let us know what you find out.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Many of the French troops in Vietnam were Foreign Legion, so they weren't French at all.

I read somewhere that the language most commonly spoke in the Legion in Vietnam was German. FWIW.

Bryan

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Many of the French troops in Vietnam were Foreign Legion, so they weren't French at all. That could explain the apparently glaring contradiction in terms.

Mawkie - I'm betting that's a bring back. Let us know what you find out.

I've read that the P-38 was a favorite for the Legion. Not surprising as the French kept production of the P-38 (Grey Ghosts) going for a couple of years after the war ended to replenish arms lost during the war. The holsters used by the French military will hold both a P-38 or a Mle 1950.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    alot of tall tales about the Légion étrangère. i wonder how they stack up to the elite of the elite around the world...i mean if Bear Grylls was in the LE.....meh

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom