• Status
    Not open for further replies.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    What is the best gun for the shower?

.....no seriously. I know it is kind of a joke "so and so even wears a gun in the shower", but I am not really talking about actually wearing it, just available.

I was thinking that while in the shower I am vulnerable if there was a fast attack on my home. If someone snuck in or kicked in the front door and ran to the bathroom, I might not have time to get out of the shower and run to a room to grab a gun. So then I thought, instead of leaving a handgun right outside the shower every time which might lead to a forgetful moment and leaving it out for a child to find (which I doubt would happen happen to most people, but still), how about a wall safe or something for the bathroom in or outside the shower itself so one can place it in a safe place and forget it unless they needed it?
    I was wondering which gun would withstand the humidity of a bathroom with a shower in it best? A aluminum or titanium/scandium revolver, or something like a plastic toy Glock?

Now this is just a purely academic question and not for me because I can neither afford such a gun and I am fine having my fifty dollar Iver Johnson disposable gun sitting in the bathroom while I am in the shower at the moment (which I will do until a certain someone is in jail or has fully divorced his wife). But I still wondered a few times.

Discuss.....

IronicEnigma

Apr 6, 2008
    Abingdon
    This reminds me of the ending in the movie Night Hawks. Stallone pretends to be his girlfriend Rutger Hauer comes to kill. The scene shows Stallone dressed up, doing dishes, and as Hauer raises up to knife "her", Stallone turns around pointing a pistol he had hidden in the sink and that was protected by a zip loc bag...which of course proved to be no problem when Hauer is blown away.

Point being, if one decides a gun in the shower is necessary, seems like a simple zip loc bag would fit the bill in providing protection and functionality if needed.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Titanium would probably not work well. Titanium is extremely vulnerable to oxidation from water mixed with chlorine. This is the reason they had to use chlorine-free water to wash the SR-71's off during the Cold War.

As far as "plastic toy" Glocks, those are only made by Airsoft, and I don't know how they would help. I am more familiar with the "best-designed, most functional and dependable handgun ever made that the others are still trying to copy" Glocks. :D One of those would probably hold up fairly well, that tenifer finish is tough as crap. But they still have steel barrels and parts on the inside that condensation is going to get to. Navy divers after all use the Marine Glocks in saltwater, I'd imagine they clean them very thoroughly after though. Glocks are very easy to detail strip so maybe that's one reason they like them for that.

The Soviets just broke down and designed the SPP-1 for underwater use in the early 1960's, carried four 4.5mm darts in separate barrels. A little exotic but how cool!

01_45_mm_SPP-1M_underwater.gif

Vegas_Jester

Aug 26, 2008
    I have seen a nice mount for the shower, or anywhere for that manner, that mounts with 2 screws and is basically a very strong magnet. the top of the slide simply "sticks" to the magnet and can be mounted out of the showers overspray area in the shower and will only require a simple cleaning regement to avoid condensation build up. I personally do not feel the need to be armed in the shower as i have taken other measures to ensure i have time to react if needed. such as home alarm, large, loud dog, and always ensuring the doors and windows are locked. although i do not feel the need to have a pistol in the shower i can certainly understand the premise behind it. just like i always explain to the officer writting my speeding tickets when he asks why i carry two knives, a pistol and have my Norinco Mac 90 beneath my rear seat. Im not paranoid, just prepared. they usually understand and just smile. Gotta Love NEVADA!!!

crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    I remember seeing a pic on Arfcom of a Glock in a vacuum sealed bag. Like the ones you store food in. The dude had it hanging on a clothes hangar from the shower head.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I have seen a nice mount for the shower, or anywhere for that manner, that mounts with 2 screws and is basically a very strong magnet. the top of the slide simply "sticks" to the magnet and can be mounted out of the showers overspray area in the shower and will only require a simple cleaning regement to avoid condensation build up. I personally do not feel the need to be armed in the shower as i have taken other measures to ensure i have time to react if needed. such as home alarm, large, loud dog, and always ensuring the doors and windows are locked. although i do not feel the need to have a pistol in the shower i can certainly understand the premise behind it. just like i always explain to the officer writting my speeding tickets when he asks why i carry two knives, a pistol and have my Norinco Mac 90 beneath my rear seat. Im not paranoid, just prepared. they usually understand and just smile. Gotta Love NEVADA!!!

Strong magnet?
    I don't know if I like that idea. :sad20: http://www.ajronline.org/cgi/content/full/178/5/1092

:lol2:

Actually a good idea though. No complicated lock to get corroded or rusted, it might be too strong and too high up for a kid to get it off if forgotten, and it is immediate access.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Maybe a Remington Marine Magnum? Should be pretty resistant to corrosion caused by soap, shampoo, and shaving cream. I don't know how well it will hold up in the long run if you carry it every time you shower. (Why put it down? Always be ready!) Still, I like the simple expedient of a ziploc bag. I don't know, I usually don't worry about self-defense in the shower.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    There's also the Mossberg Mariner 590.

Although it's not specifically a marine shotgun, there is the Ruger Red Label stainless.

ozwyn

Ultimate Member
    Apr 21, 2008
    Richardson, Texas
    Toughen up your doors and windows, add entry alarms and buy yourself more time instead.

and have the gun in a dry space by the pathroom instead. A picture safe in the wall within reach distance of the shower might work. That way the gun and ammunition is safe and house guests do not assume you are paranoid.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Save on your water bill and just take whore baths in the sink.

Would it just be better to get either

A) A big dog with big teeth

B) An house alarm with extra instrusion detection on doors and windows.

C) A shower "buddy" who can watch and wash your back for you. It would be like you're in the Navy (Not there is any wrong with that) "Reach Arounds" could be optional:lol2:

D) Move and build your own Fortress of Solitude.:rolleyes:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    i think the ziploc bag would be a good idea since it would be easy to shoot the gun if you had to...the vacuum sealed would be protected buy you would need a knife or scissors to get it open and in an emergency that would be critical time lost and you would be screwed if you couldnt find scissors..as for the gun I would go with a stainless gun rather than blued since blued would hold the moisture and rust....:)

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    If you feel the need to have a gun while in the shower you need to move.

Oh now come on!!
    Look, my situation is probably like millions of other Americans so let me describe it for you with varied circumstances. A friend is going through a divorce with a person with a violent felony past and he attacked her and her friend she was with in his house by kicking in the door, running in, knocking her out and then attacking the male friend who could not get his handgun lock off in time.
    This man is threatenning her friends that are helping her and I am helping her. He even threatened me December of last year five months before this house attack even happened. Until this threat is in jail or he and his wife have finally divorced, he is a potential threat to me as either revenge or if he thinks his soon to be ex-wife is over at my house shtooping me at the time or something.
    The man is a threat and even if I HAD the money to move, the threat should be stopped by the court system before I could feasibly move anyway.

Any of us could be in such a temporary danger like this and it often happens. With all due respect VnV, to suggest that all of us in this situation move instead of carry a handgun to the shower for a time is a little naive and shortsighted.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom