Anyone know where I can find 7.5x53 ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Long story short, I'll be picking up an 1889 Schmidt rubin tomorrow :D With this in mind, would anyone happen to know if anybody still makes commercial loads, or has it fallen into the realm of impossible to find?

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Long story short, I'll be picking up an 1889 Schmidt rubin tomorrow :D With this in mind, would anyone happen to know if anybody still makes commercial loads, or has it fallen into the realm of impossible to find?

The common 7.5x55 which is fired in the more "modern" swiss rifles like the K31 and 1911 models is easy to find like the above links but the 7.5x53 in the earlier 1889 models is no longer loaded as far as my knowledge goes. I think I remember reading somewhere on the internet that some people resize brass and make their own loads for the 1889 models which is probably your only route

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I am into the books now, I see what you mean Dan. Give me a few minutes. Dan is this the straight rimmed case that looks like a 45/70 ? 7,5 x 53,5R Rubin ?
    Sev do you reload ?

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I am into the books now, I see what you mean Dan. Give me a few minutes. Dan is this the straight rimmed case that looks like a 45/70 ? 7,5 x 53,5R Rubin ?
    Sev do you reload ?

Yes I believe so. I've never come into contact with the 7.5x53.5 ammuntion and I do not own a swiss M1889 but I found some more information about the cartridge on this website

http://www.swissrifles.com/ammo/index.html#7.5

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    This is what i have found, It seems to be a easy fix to get new brass for this rifle.
    Also maybe someone has 7.5 once fired brass that is on this fourm

Re: 7.5 x 53.5 ammo and reloading #1 [-]

Ammo for the Model 1889 is pretty much in the "collectible" category now. Hard to find, often pricey, and not necessarily "sure-fire". It's also mercuric primed and cases should not be reloaded.

Modern 7.5x55 cases can be trimmed to 54.5mm and used for the 1889. Use .308" bullets, ordinary 7.5x55 dies, and .30/40 Krag load data.

Be prepared for substantial blow-by with lighter loads of slow powders, thanks to the wide chamber neck designed for paper-patch ammo. Best results are likely with long bullets seated deeply and moderate charges of medium-fast rifle powders like RL-7 and 4198

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    I knew I'd have to get into reloading at some point, now I have the perfect excuse to do so! Definitely going the resizing route once I start getting reloading stuff together. I'll be posting pics of the rifle sometime tomorrow :D

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Sounds like a plan, Good Luck, I would be tempted to slug the barrel and see if i could find a inexpensive mold and cast some bullets for it. That would make it cheap to shoot.

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    I'll go ahead and ask now, I know nothing when it comes to reloading, what kinda reloading kit should I look for? I've never done it before and I'd like to find something that won't break the bank

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    A good investment would be a rcbs rockchucker combo kit is a excellent start.
    lower end would be a lee single stage kit. lee dies are reasonable to buy also. You can ask here for used equipment for sale or look online. A good way to start is to buy a beginners loading manual from maybe Lyman or Lee reloading then give it a good read and figure out what you want to spend and go from there. Ask on these fourms for help also.

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Alright, picked the rifle an hour ago, upon taking it apart, I discovered the firing pin is broken, that shouldn't be hard to replace so I won't fret over it. Is there a way to find out when this particular rifle was made? :u

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Alright, picked the rifle an hour ago, upon taking it apart, I discovered the firing pin is broken, that shouldn't be hard to replace so I won't fret over it. Is there a way to find out when this particular rifle was made? :u

Try checking out this website. Scroll down to the bottom of the page with the M1889 rifle section and you should be able to find out the manufacture date based on the serial number. Hope this helps

http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/schmidt_rubin.html#m1889

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    As promised, pictures :D

Anybody know what the purpose of the numbers stamped on the underside of the barrel are for? Also, is it normal for these rifles to not have an import mark? I've looked over every inch of it multiple times and I can't find anything.

Attachments

• schmidt 1.jpg
      schmidt 1.jpg
      48.6 KB · Views: 2,007
    • schmidt 2.JPG
      schmidt 2.JPG
      55 KB · Views: 2,022
    • schmidt 3.JPG
      schmidt 3.JPG
      31.7 KB · Views: 2,019
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread