Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles

Notices

Old March 28th, 2012, 04:16 PM #1

AKMS from century international arms, a good buy?

The gun comes with some tapco and utg parts it other wise looks good. What are your opinions?
raff696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 04:29 PM #2

Century? - I'd give that 50/50
BradMacc82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 04:34 PM #3
Support the IDF

Support the IDF

i've been wondering the same??? i don't think the US should get into the AK market just stay with accessories. there are plenty of combloc made/parts out there

"In the future there will be no hunger, there will be no greed, and all the children will know how to read."

I'm a political prisoner in a Maryland Gulag

Disclaimer: Expressed above are my personal opinions. If you wish to complain, kindly take a number.
fivepointstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 04:38 PM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointstar View Post
i've been wondering the same??? i don't think the US should get into the AK market just stay with accessories. there are plenty of combloc made/parts out there
That's why I said 'I give it 50/50..'
BradMacc82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 06:13 PM #5
Love those Combloc guns

Love those Combloc guns

My biggest beef is with the barrel.

The barrels Century uses are Green Mountain barrels, a company that is known for making barrels for BLACK POWDER FIREARMS. That is like I.O. using Mossberg, a shotgun company, to make their barrels WHICH THEY DO! Their barrels are not known for durability which goes against the whole point of the AK's existence which is over-built durability. The barrels are not hammer forged or chrome lined, they are no better than a steel pipe with threading in it. Why may you ask hammer forging and chrome lining are desirable?

Hammer forging gives strength to the barrel making it more resistant to heat and won't damage barrel rifling over long-term use. Chrome lining adds to it even more by increasing heat resistance, makes cleaning easier, rust-resistant (not rust-proof), and is better at extracting steel cased ammo than non chrome barrels.

With this rifle and the fact it is century-built, it would be only good as a range plinker if that is what you are looking for. SHTF purposes I'd look somewhere else.

If you are looking for a good underfolding AK on a budget go with a WASR underfolder. These were made in Romania at an arsenal that has been building AKs for the Romanian military for decades with factory hammer forged chrome-lined barrels. Best part about them is century doesn't build them so you don't have to worry about their QC issues.

And BTW, UTG is airsoft grade junk and the only thing tapco makes well are its trigger components.

Last edited by Scott7891; March 29th, 2012 at 12:36 AM.
Scott7891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 06:17 PM #6
Love those Combloc guns

Love those Combloc guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointstar View Post
Well you can thank presidential executive orders and ATF "interpretations" that have made many quality AK parts (like barrels) no longer possible to get driving up price, demand, and freezing the supply.

Because AK's are a terrorist gun
Scott7891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 10:15 PM #7

Quote:
the only thing tapco makes well are its trigger components
I'd have to disagree with that. I've got numerous Tapco magazines, and they are decent quality. I've never had any issue with any of them. Now they are not quite up to milsurp quality, but for their price point; they return a good value IMO. They cerainly aren't the "junk" some people make them out to be.

Asteroids. Nature's way of saying "Hows that Space Program coming?"

"Even when you have all the answers, it won't give you peace. My greatest fear, and I have many, is not in the solutions that evade me. It's in the answers I have, that I'm too slow to execute. It's when I 'could have'..but didn't soon enough." Barry Ween
DarthZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 01:35 PM #8

I've got to agree with Scott. I was looking high and low for a WASR underfolder and every shop I visited kept showing me the Century AKMS. I turned it down based on the barrel.

I've got a Century Yugo M70 and the barrel is my main concern with that rifle seeing how it's not original mil-spec.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."

"People who are not themselves are nobody." - Gen. George S. Patton

Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range

Member of:
The human race
KMK1862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 01:35 PM #9
Legalize the Constitution

Legalize the Constitution

My experiences with Century have been really, really bad. A few weeks ago I looked at a C93 (Hk93) they assembled and it looked like it was manufactured on a Friday afternoon of a holiday weekend by a group of untrained Reese's monkeys.

I personally would pass.
sailskidrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 02:00 PM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott7891 View Post
My biggest beef is with the barrel.

The barrels Century uses are Green Mountain barrels, a company that is known for making barrels for BLACK POWDER FIREARMS. That is like I.O. using Mossberg, a shotgun company, to make their barrels WHICH THEY DO! Their barrels are not known for durability which goes against the whole point of the AK's existence which is over-built durability. The barrels are not hammer forged or chrome lined, they are no better than a steel pipe with threading in it. Why may you ask hammer forging and chrome lining are desirable?

Hammer forging gives strength to the barrel making it more resistant to heat and won't damage barrel rifling over long-term use. Chrome lining adds to it even more by increasing heat resistance, makes cleaning easier, rust-resistant (not rust-proof), and is better at extracting steel cased ammo than non chrome barrels.

With this rifle and the fact it is century-built, it would be only good as a range plinker if that is what you are looking for. SHTF purposes I'd look somewhere else.

If you are looking for a good underfolding AK on a budget go with a WASR underfolder. These were made in Romania at an arsenal that has been building AKs for the Romanian military for decades with factory hammer forged chrome-lined barrels. Best part about them is century doesn't build them so you don't have to worry about their QC issues.

And BTW, UTG is airsoft grade junk and the only thing tapco makes well are its trigger components.
I see alot of these newer Ak's with US made chrome lined barrels. Do you know who is making them?
aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles