• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have been looking to build a reproduction Mosin sniper. For Christmas I got the reproduction sniper scope and mount from Sportsmans guide. I know, not perfection, but close enough for me. Well, I sold another set of rims I had and bought this '44 Izzy ex sniper from Pat Burns. It is a '44 with a very repaired ex sniper stock, which I thought was pretty nostalgic. The plan was to take the action, keep the stock as is, and drop the action into another stock with cutout for the scope mount. The action is kinda smooth. However the bore was listed as good sharp and shiney. Looking at it (got it yesterday afternoon), the bore looks very worn out. The lands toward the end of the muzle are almost worn down. Worse than my '42 infantry Mosin, and much worse than my '32 infantry Mosin, which is pretty sharp. Haven't shot it yet, but just in looking at it, I'm debating on selling it already and try another exsniper and try my luck. I wanted a really good bore, and even asked for more in depth crisper pictures, and they looked good via email. So now I debate, sell and go fishing again, or keep this one?

Attachments

• 44 mosin sniper.jpg
      44 mosin sniper.jpg
      29.6 KB · Views: 329
    • 44 mosin sniper1.jpg
      44 mosin sniper1.jpg
      43.5 KB · Views: 334
    • 44 mosin sniper2.jpg
      44 mosin sniper2.jpg
      39.9 KB · Views: 336
    • 44 mosin sniper3.jpg
      44 mosin sniper3.jpg
      39.4 KB · Views: 334
    • 44 mosin sniper5.jpg
      44 mosin sniper5.jpg
      43 KB · Views: 340
    • 44 mosin sniper6.jpg
      44 mosin sniper6.jpg
      40.2 KB · Views: 333
    • 44 mosin sniper7.jpg
      44 mosin sniper7.jpg
      33.8 KB · Views: 332

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    '44 Mosin bore pics;

Attachments

• 44 mosin bore.jpg
      44 mosin bore.jpg
      39.1 KB · Views: 307
    • 44 mosin bore1.jpg
      44 mosin bore1.jpg
      34.7 KB · Views: 318
    • 44 mosin bore2.jpg
      44 mosin bore2.jpg
      34.2 KB · Views: 319
    • 44 mosin bore5.jpg
      44 mosin bore5.jpg
      27.1 KB · Views: 319
    • 44 mosin bore4.jpg
      44 mosin bore4.jpg
      20.5 KB · Views: 321
    • 44 mosin bore6.jpg
      44 mosin bore6.jpg
      32.1 KB · Views: 156
    Last edited:

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    '42

Attachments

• 42 mosin.jpg
      42 mosin.jpg
      28 KB · Views: 314
    • 42 mosin bore 2.jpg
      42 mosin bore 2.jpg
      32.8 KB · Views: 310
    • 42 mosin bore.jpg
      42 mosin bore.jpg
      36.9 KB · Views: 311

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    '32

Attachments

• 32 mosin.jpg
      32 mosin.jpg
      28.2 KB · Views: 319
    • 32 mosin bore2.jpg
      32 mosin bore2.jpg
      31.4 KB · Views: 313
    • 32 mosin bore.jpg
      32 mosin bore.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 321

screamingeagle

Mar 7, 2010
    veery ,veeery ,nice comrade:party29:I would get a new stock like you said and slap a scope on it. I don't think the bore is horrible.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I'd say it doesn't look too bad, at least from my opinion. I would shoot it a few times before you decide to sell it to see if it doesn't shoot good. I've had a few rifles with worn out looking bores that shoot just as good as rifles with perfect ones

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Checking out the bore visually >may< be a decent way to judge a potential shooter. But let's be honest, you will never know how well the rifle shoots...until you shoot it. The best advice I could give you for "re-snipering" an ex-sniper is to take it to the range and see if it groups well enough to be worthy of adding the scope.
    No sense in spending the money on one that can only group within a pie plate at 100yds on it's best day. YMMV

Sirex