• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Everyone worries about what to put in an emergency bag, or bug out bag if you want to call it that. With this I will try to show you an easy way to think about it. I was able to make one in an hour with things I had around the house.

First of all, forget any list of fancy gadgets and cool camping gear you could buy. Think instead of satisfying certain "areas" of survival. I will list these "areas" and then discuss their importance and how to satisfy them. You must realize that there is no list of items you need. You simply must satisfy all categories of survival.

Water
    Shelter
    Fire/Light
    Weapons
    Food
    Medical
    Sanitary
    Communication/LandNavigation

Pack: Do you have something to carry your stuff in? It doesn't have to be military. I have a military pack but I made a simple 72-hour BOB with a sturdy school backpack recently for keeping in my vehicle. ALICE packs are mil surplus and very cheap.

Water: Do you have it and can you make it? A few bottles of water ready for drinking and water purification tablets (sold at walmart) for when that runs out. Something to filter or strain it with is a plus, as tablets do not remove sediments.

Shelter: Do you have adequate shelter? You need either a tent or a tarp and some rope. The tent is obviously more comfortable, but weighs more and costs more. I also consider a decent sleeping bag rated for winter temperature to be necessary, though optional when considering a bare minimum survival kit.

Shelter - Clothes: Clothing counts as shelter. Do you have the clothes to let you survive bad weather? 3 pairs of socks and 3 pairs of underwear in a ziplock bag. Spare shirt, spare pants are also something you would benefit from having. You must also have cold weather clothes. A wool hat, gloves, long johns, and an old jacket you don't want anymore to go into the pack.

Fire: Can you make fire? Technically, a pack of BIC lighters will make the answer to this question "yes" but a few extra alternatives are cheap. I would add a pack or two of matches to the lighters as well as a handful of dryer lint. The dryer lint is cheap and makes good tinder. Magnesium firestarters are cheap and last forever, but I am strictly speaking of bare minimum stuff you can find around the house or find very cheap.

Light: Can you make light? You need a flashlight. Do yourself a favor and don't buy one at the dollar store that will break easy. I recommend AA batteries but that's just because I use them in ALL of my survival gear to keep things uniform. Emergency candles would be a good addition too, since they are not electronic. Remember, if you can make light then you have satisfied the "light" category.

Weapons: Do you have a gun? Do you have a knife? If the answer is yes, then you are armed. I will not go into a "which gun is the best" conversation but I think it is important to have a handgun. When SHTF do you really want to be walking around with a rifle if you don't want to attract attention?

Tools: You must have a good knife. This is not only a weapon, but a tool. Get one that is a decent brand and not a cheap $5 gas station knife which will become dull way to quick. I would also recommend a knife sharpener, and a leatherman tool. These are not mandatory however.

Food: Do you have atleast 3 days of food for your BOB? Assuming a 2,000 calorie diet, you need about 6,000 calories of food. MRE's are the best in my opinion, but they are pricey. Find what you can that is ready to eat without cooking, and doesn't go bad quickly.

Medical: Can you stop bleeding, take care of wounds, and keep up with your current health situations? Get basic first aid training and also learn about taking care of wounds. To stop bleeding you need cheap supplies like 4x4 gauze (I recommend buying a lot of these) and kerlix (roller gauze) to bandage. Make sure you have perscription medications you need to keep you alive. Over the counter medications are nice, but are the really something you NEED?

Sanitary
    : Can you keep clean? Now I do think you should have a roll of toilet paper, toothbrush and some hand sanitizer, but if we are talking bare minimum barbaric times then they aren't technically something you NEED to survive. I think you should get them though, especially the toothbrush.

Land Navigation: Can you navigate somewhere? You will need a compass and a map. Topographical maps are supposed to be the best, but in mine I just have a ADC map book. One map is of Maryland and the other is a similar map with every state in it. GPS is great, but don't depend on satellites.

Communication: Can you communicate when the phones don't work? I really suggest you get into HAM radio. When the earthquake happened this year the phones may have been jammed, but I immediately was able to make contact with friends on HAM radio. IF you have a HAM radio, I HIGHLY suggest you get an adapter that lets you use AA batteries, as the power grid may be down and not let you recharge. Absent this, you should get a AM/FM radio so you can atleast know what is going on around you. Also a scanner would be nice too, which would allow you to listen to HAM frequencies by the way.

Now, I hope you see how easy and cheap it is to really put together a 72-hour survival kit. This is meant for bare minimum, and does not mean you shouldn't improve your kit the best you can. However, this is good for those people who put making a BOB off because they fear the costs and supplies you must get.

Thanks for reading!

Bertha

Aug 15, 2011
    Awesome post! My wife and I were just discussing this last night. Thanks for the information

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'd add about the knife, get at least a 6" blade sheath knife and you can use it to fell small trees for shelter. Avoid stainless steel because they are a bitch to sharpen properly with a stone.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I was just thinking that there are tons of people on various types of medication, including mood altering drugs. After their insurance restricted 30 day supply runs out, the real impact of the situation will be multiplied for lots of people. It's hard enough for healthy people to deal with catastrophies, let alone someone with a mental illness or dependence on medication who no longer has said medicine.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Add some plain ol coffee filters & you can remove a lot of sediment from water. Works well as a pre-filter for the pills.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Add some plain ol coffee filters & you can remove a lot of sediment from water. Works well as a pre-filter for the pills.

Yeah that is what I did, in addition the purification pills. I have a legit water filter but they are expensive and I can't afford buying an extra one just for the BOB I keep in my car.

Sev

"Vern"
    Mar 18, 2010
    formerly silver spring
    with the dryer lint, be careful that you grab it from a load of jeans or other clothing that is cotton. I had a handful I was practicing with last time I went camping, and it kinda smoldered and melted. Wasn't until after I got the fire started (by another means) that I realized the non-organic fibers didn't light easily

plus its easy enough to just run a load of jeans or sheets or whatever and grab the lint :)

Sev

"Vern"
    Mar 18, 2010
    formerly silver spring
    I was just thinking that there are tons of people on various types of medication, including mood altering drugs. After their insurance restricted 30 day supply runs out, the real impact of the situation will be multiplied for lots of people. It's hard enough for healthy people to deal with catastrophies, let alone someone with a mental illness or dependence on medication who no longer has said medicine.

There's really nothing you can do for that. My only suggestion is for you personally (this applies to anyone reading, not just you particularly) is to try to get a doctor who will write a longer prescription (more per month or more per cycle) or try to find an OTC equivalent if there are any

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    with the dryer lint, be careful that you grab it from a load of jeans or other clothing that is cotton. I had a handful I was practicing with last time I went camping, and it kinda smoldered and melted. Wasn't until after I got the fire started (by another means) that I realized the non-organic fibers didn't light easily

plus its easy enough to just run a load of jeans or sheets or whatever and grab the lint :)

Something much better is taking cottonballs and soaking them in petroleum jelly (Vaseline). These things go up in flames!

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Awesome way to make tinder & make antibiotic cream do double duty?
    Get some cotton cotton balls (some are blends) and daub hand sanitizer, antibiotic cream, or plain ol' Vaseline on one. Then light it. It'll burn for 10~15 minutes. If you pre-daub a few & shove them in a small bottle, can, or something they even work when sopping wet. You can probably get 8~10 of them in a film type can.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    Just a couple suggestions I use

food: choclate is a small high calorie never goes bad item that you can easily carry.

Sanitary: a half a roll of toilet paper inside a ziplock bag then sealed inside a foodsaver vacuum bag.

Why the double bag treatment you ask? the food saver bag keeps it dry in decent shap for a long time but is not resealable once you open it use the ziploc bag to keep it dry and out of the way.

Also sealing the choclate in a small section of food saver bag makes it easy to handle when it is 110 degrees outside. If it melts snip of the corner of the bag and squeeze it like frosting.

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    good waterproof fire starter/tinder:

strike anywhere type match wrapped in dryer lint and dipped in wax.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Want a cheap, effective, easy way to make drinking water safe?

Unscented household liquid bleach.

2 drops treats one quart of water. 4 drops per quart, if the water is cloudy. Shake vigorously, wait 30 minutes.

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    According to Penny from "The Big Bang Theory", a friend of hers said you can use panty hose to convert urine into drinking water.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom