• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    OK, I've got to much going on right now to buy another rifle but I have always been interested in the Russian Vepr line. It appears that there are more models that I was aware of.
    Vepr AK 47 .308 Rifle 20 Inch Barrel
    Vepr AK47 Rifle .308 16 Inch Barrel
    Vepr AK74 Rifle 5.45x39 Russian
    Vepr Dragunov Style Rifle 762 x 54R
    Vepr AK 47 Rifle Russian Heavy Duty 762 x 39mm by MOLOT
    Vepr AK 47 Rifle MD2 Russian
    Vepr AK Tactical Rifle
    Super Vepr Russian .308 AK Target Rifle

Looking at the rifles on Atlantic Firearms AK section I see that the prices have come down a bit and the specs on a lot of these rifle is really awesome. I also spoke with Atlantic about a new model that is in the stand AK style but the barrel is super heavy, that would be available in Feburary.
    If you have a Vepr or experience with a Vepr chime in. Pictures are always awesome. I’m sorry if there is an official Vepr thread already.
    I think if I was going to get one of these I'd look at the Drag style vepr. Atlantic also has a video comparison with a PSL which is cool.
    http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1002.aspx

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Don't have one but a friend does in 7.62x39. Very nice, but it is heavy as hell. I think it is because he has a huge rail on it. I would like to handle one without it. The less expensive ones don't take AK mags. Not sure if anything above 10 round are available, or if they would be easily converted to take AK mags.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Veprs are very nice but for what they want for them you are not far off a Valmet and they are not even standard capacity.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    Hey hey, I found the new Vepr picture being posted by Atlantic over on AR15.com. Here is the pic, its called the "Pioneer". Wonder what it will cost! WANT!
    verprclassic2.jpg

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I have one of the older Robarms converted VEPRs in x39 (looks like the Atlantic model above, but with poly furniture). Same kind of bolt-on break.

As mentioned these things are HEAVY for an AK, being based on a design modification that was intended for a light machine gun. The whole front end has more steel in it from the trunnion to barrel and the receiver is thicker as well. But accuracy-wise it is hands-down the best AK I own. I still haven't scoped it and gone for MOA. Need to do that.

Build and finish on these is very nice. Definitely worth it IMO, especially if you can get one with a proper handguard retainer already in place, but the tradeoff is definitely weight. The guy that sold me mine was getting rid of it because he thought it was too heavy. I'm not 100% sure how different or similar conversion is to a Saiga but it's not any more difficult. I would strongly recommend a 7.62x39 due to mag availability but a 54R would be really nice.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Those 54R VEPRs are super sexy, and are on my list, too. A little iffy about throwing corrosive ammo down the barrel of an expensive rifle, but if the Soviets could do it, so can I!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Atlantic claims that they've got a manufacturer for 10rd magazines lined up. Based on comments at Gunco, I'm going to guess CSSpec is the manufacturer. Of course, if Atlantic wants to confirm or deny, I think we'd all be happy.

Remember that double-stacking a rimmed cartridge is rather difficult - and a 20rd single-stack 7.62x54R mag would be longer than a 40rd double-stack AK magazine. I could see 15rds as perhaps being usable.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    The bren gun has a 30 round mag with rimmed cartridges, it just has a ridiculous curve to it. How come it can't be done?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The bren gun has a 30 round mag with rimmed cartridges, it just has a ridiculous curve to it. How come it can't be done?
    Funny that you should mention that: people have converted Bren magazines to work in these guns, too. But the simple answer is probably that it's a difficult task with not a lot of payoff. We just got VEPR 54rs over here, after all, and they're not cheap guns. Magazine sales will probably not be all that brisk.

Atlantic Firearms.com

Industry Partner
    Jul 31, 2011
    The mags are US poly mags for the 762 X 54R and we not made by CSSPECS and can not comment on the mag company building the mags until they give us the green light . We hope to see 10 & 15 round 762 x 54R mags in 2 -3 months !!

Atlantic Firearms.com
    Widest Selection of AK Firearms in the USA .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom