• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Who reloads and has experience? I started heavily about a month ago and I have now reloaded 1000 rounds :party29:
    I have learned from trial and error and I know that I could learn more from some others who has been reloading for years.
    I am using the Lee Anniversary Kit.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I used to reload quite a bit for .357 and 30-30. Now I primarily shoot a Glock 23, and from what I understand reloading for a Glock can be risky at best. I'm sure it is probably OK if the rounds are jacketed, but I don't want to risk a kaboom. I have to admit that I do miss reloading though. I've got a box in the basement full of reloading equipment that I'd love to put back in service. I used to reload 300+ rounds a week for my .357. I would go to the local auto garages and collect used wheel weights and then melt down the lead to cast bullets. Ah, the good old days.

A17195

Jun 12, 2005
    Most of the reloading issues I have hear of with the Glocks stem from the barrel. It needs jacketed. Get a different barrel and try some lead if you want. I've loaded .45 ACP, 45 Colt, 38/357, 40/10mm, 9mm, .38 Super, .223, 30-06, .308 over the past 30 years. Just gotta be very careful.

Last edited:

stsltd

Feb 1, 2006
    I am also interested in reloading - been trying to find a class to at least see it done before I jump in but have yet to find one nearby. Would start primarily with 45 acp but would expand to 38 spec and 357 later.

have ordered a few books and manuals to research first - hopefully to get an idea of whats involved at the onset -

45 ammo is supposed to be one of the best for savings - in the long run of course

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Welcome to MDshooters.

Reloading all lead for my .45 ACP has saved me a lot, but the most it has saved me is the .45 Colt because I have to use cowboy loads and winchester charges an arm and a leg for cowboy loads.

Reloading is easy just as long as super care is used in weighing the powder and knowing how much to use. The book that comes with the Lee anniversary kit (for a few extra bucks) will be more than enough to get you started and I don't think you'd need a class unless you want to start off loading match quality rounds.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You can find a class by state at the NRA website:

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/find.asp

Look for the Metallic Cartridge Reloading Course. These courses are usually hard to find scheduled in Maryland but you may find more options if you live near another state, PA, VA, DE.

You can also find instructors at the NRMA website. Several are in MD with their phone numbers. The NRMA website also has a "virtual" reloading course:

http://www.reload-nrma.com/

Be sure to read all the safety info there too.

Some clubs also offer instruction. You might want to check out any bulletin boards where you shoot.

The best thing you can do is to pick up a couple of reloading manuals and throughly read the tutorial infomation in each. I would do this before you take a course, that way you'll be able to get any questions you have from your reading answered.

The NRA manual is good, cheap (~$5) and unlike other manuals is not biased toward one manufacturers equipment. You get it with the NRA course but you can also order it from the NRA.

IMHO out of the five or so reloading manuals I have seen, the Speer manual also has the best tutorial information.

I'd definately take a course or find somebody near you reloads to try it if your goal is only to save money. I've read of people who've bought all the gear, tried it once and gave up.

Reloading is good if you want to develop custom loads, or load for a hard to find caliber. You will save money over commercial ammo if you compare it to the cost of the components (once you have reloaded enough ammo to offset the cost of the equipment). It also takes time to reload however so if you value your free time, and your only goal is to save money, you should consider that as well.

stsltd

Feb 1, 2006
    Been working on the reading up and researching part. Am looking at this as a way to expand my shooting hobby along with hopefully some long range savings but that is not my primary goal.

Thanks for the reponses

SST

May 10, 2005
    FYI Gents, I'm a NRA Certified Reloading Instructor....I would be gald to give anyone the NRA Reloading Course. Dates and cost are not on my website. I schedule those classes on a one-one basis. www.sureshottraining.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom