Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Black Powder

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2011, 01:41 PM #1
smokey0118's Avatar
smokey0118 smokey0118 is online now
2A TEACHER
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Annapolis
Posts: 21,307
Images: 33
smokey0118 smokey0118 is online now
2A TEACHER
smokey0118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Annapolis
Posts: 21,307
Images: 33
Stuck omega breech plug

Jenni's uncle isnt the best at maintaining his firearms. He has a t/c omega with a very stuck and corroded breech plug. He said he typically uses bore butter on yhe plug threads, but he hadnt shot it in about a year and after shooting a dozen or so(without cleaning) the plug wouldnt come out. I now have a pretty rusty omega with a stuck breech plug. I poured some breakfree clp down the bore and from the breech side, and am waiting for that to penetrate. Aside from using a socket wrench + light hammer and heating the breech, what do I need to know to get this unstuck(i know the best way is to keep it clean/lubed and keep it from seizing in the first place.......buuuuut it is what it is).

Thanks guys
__________________
MSI EXECUTIVE MEMBER:

"It's hard not to be a menace to society, when half the population is happy on their knees"

Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!
smokey0118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 02:27 PM #2
K31's Avatar
K31 K31 is offline
What fresh hell is this?
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: AA county
Posts: 23,860
Images: 14
K31 K31 is offline
What fresh hell is this?
K31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: AA county
Posts: 23,860
Images: 14
I'd have poured some Kroil down it first. I'm not sure how that will play with the CLP now though.
__________________
Giving "respectful, civil gun owners a bad name" since January 15th, 2006.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

A new life awaits you on the off-world colonies!
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 03:25 PM #3
smokey0118's Avatar
smokey0118 smokey0118 is online now
2A TEACHER
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Annapolis
Posts: 21,307
Images: 33
smokey0118 smokey0118 is online now
2A TEACHER
smokey0118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Annapolis
Posts: 21,307
Images: 33
Is kroil that much better? I havent ever really used it before.
__________________
MSI EXECUTIVE MEMBER:

"It's hard not to be a menace to society, when half the population is happy on their knees"

Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!
smokey0118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 03:26 PM #4
clandestine's Avatar
clandestine clandestine is offline


AR15 Instructor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Glen Burnie, MD
Posts: 32,882
clandestine clandestine is offline


AR15 Instructor
clandestine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Glen Burnie, MD
Posts: 32,882
Is the weapon cleared? I despise Muzle Loaders. If you cant clear it scott can. Hes a master at that shit.

I had one blow up trying to dislodge a charge. Some dummy loaded 3 rounds and 3 charges. I soaked the bore in oil for a week. I was able to pull the front round and charge with a round puller, then I put a drive rod in the back of the gun (Aluminum) and started to tap the rounds out it. Well the compression or something set the ceter charge off. I heard a pfffffft and I ducked, not a second later a sabot fired out of the muzzle, the rond shot out the back and impaled the tolbox and the last round stayed in the bore somehow.

I have also had residue flash off after soaking the bores in oil when I heated them to remove stuck breach plugs.

If they are really stuck you have to dril the mout and use an E-Z out with an impact wrench to break it loose.

Oh god I hate muzzle loaders. I think I have an ulcer just thinkng about it.
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 04:14 PM #5
smokey0118's Avatar
smokey0118 smokey0118 is online now
2A TEACHER
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Annapolis
Posts: 21,307
Images: 33
smokey0118 smokey0118 is online now
2A TEACHER
smokey0118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Annapolis
Posts: 21,307
Images: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
Is the weapon cleared? I despise Muzle Loaders. If you cant clear it scott can. Hes a master at that shit.

I had one blow up trying to dislodge a charge. Some dummy loaded 3 rounds and 3 charges. I soaked the bore in oil for a week. I was able to pull the front round and charge with a round puller, then I put a drive rod in the back of the gun (Aluminum) and started to tap the rounds out it. Well the compression or something set the ceter charge off. I heard a pfffffft and I ducked, not a second later a sabot fired out of the muzzle, the rond shot out the back and impaled the tolbox and the last round stayed in the bore somehow.

I have also had residue flash off after soaking the bores in oil when I heated them to remove stuck breach plugs.

If they are really stuck you have to dril the mout and use an E-Z out with an impact wrench to break it loose.

Oh god I hate muzzle loaders. I think I have an ulcer just thinkng about it.
He said it's clear....putting the rod down it, it felt like there wasn't anything down there, so that's good. I'm just going to assume it's loaded an follow the safety rules until i can get the breech out and clear for certain. I was thinking a hair dryer should be able to get it hot enough to swell a bit without risk of lighting anything. It there anything i should know to help loosen it before smacking a socket wrench with a hammer to try to break it free? I gave it a hard turn with the stock breech plug wrench, but it wasn't budging after the ol' rob try.
__________________
MSI EXECUTIVE MEMBER:

"It's hard not to be a menace to society, when half the population is happy on their knees"

Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!
smokey0118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 04:34 PM #6
clandestine's Avatar
clandestine clandestine is offline


AR15 Instructor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Glen Burnie, MD
Posts: 32,882
clandestine clandestine is offline


AR15 Instructor
clandestine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Glen Burnie, MD
Posts: 32,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey0118 View Post
He said it's clear....putting the rod down it, it felt like there wasn't anything down there, so that's good. I'm just going to assume it's loaded an follow the safety rules until i can get the breech out and clear for certain. I was thinking a hair dryer should be able to get it hot enough to swell a bit without risk of lighting anything. It there anything i should know to help loosen it before smacking a socket wrench with a hammer to try to break it free? I gave it a hard turn with the stock breech plug wrench, but it wasn't budging after the ol' rob try.
Try to be sure to clear it first. Soaking it in oil and using heat afterward is the trick. Heat gun or hair dryer is too mild. A propane torch is needed.

I use a mixture of PB Blaster and Hoppes for the soak. I plug the nipple or peen it closed with a punch. I let it sit for a week like that. If you cant plug the nipple jus make a mix of one bottle of hoppes and a spray a whole can of PB into a cut off 20 ounce soda bottle and drop the action into it for a week.

Wipe it down and then add the heat get it smoking then stop and try the socket wrench with a long handle for leverage. An if that fdont work youll have to drill the breach plug and use an eazy out and impact wrench. If that dont work it will have to be plugged and an acid bath will have to be used in the very back of the blast chamber area. Its delicate work.
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 04:38 PM #7
smokey0118's Avatar
smokey0118 smokey0118 is online now
2A TEACHER
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Annapolis
Posts: 21,307
Images: 33
smokey0118 smokey0118 is online now
2A TEACHER
smokey0118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Annapolis
Posts: 21,307
Images: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
Try to be sure to clear it first. Soaking it in oil and using heat afterward is the trick. Heat gun or hair dryer is too mild. A propane torch is needed.

I use a mixture of PB Blaster and Hoppes for the soak. I plug the nipple or peen it closed with a punch. I let it sit for a week like that. If you cant plug the nipple jus make a mix of one bottle of hoppes and a spray a whole can of PB into a cut off 20 ounce soda bottle and drop the action into it for a week.

Wipe it down and then add the heat get it smoking then stop and try the socket wrench with a long handle for leverage. An if that fdont work youll have to drill the breach plug and use an eazy out and impact wrench. If that dont work it will have to be plugged and an acid bath will have to be used in the very back of the blast chamber area. Its delicate work.
balls. Thanks chad
__________________
MSI EXECUTIVE MEMBER:

"It's hard not to be a menace to society, when half the population is happy on their knees"

Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!
smokey0118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 04:41 PM #8
Deep Creek Rock's Avatar
Deep Creek Rock Deep Creek Rock is offline
.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: McHenry,Garrett County Maryland
Posts: 5,091
Images: 3
Deep Creek Rock Deep Creek Rock is offline
.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
Deep Creek Rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: McHenry,Garrett County Maryland
Posts: 5,091
Images: 3
If your not sure that there is a charge in it - soak it with oil, and run some compressed air through the nipple with a soft tip air blower. That may blow out anything that is in it. Make sure the thing is pointed away from anything that should not be hit. If it just blows out air out of the muzzle, then you know its clear. They used to sell CO2 charged muzzleloader clearers, but if you have acsess to shop air, that probably would work better.

Muzzleloaders arent too bad - you just gotta keep on top of cleaning them, and unfortunatly, people dont like to do that.

Another thing - T/C warranties there guns for life - worst case scenario - contact T/C, and they may even remove the breech plug for you for free. Not sure what there policy is on lack of maintenence, but it wouldnst hurt to call them.
__________________
One Shot, One Kill !....One Mind ...Any Weapon!

Deep Creek Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 04:47 PM #9
Deep Creek Rock's Avatar
Deep Creek Rock Deep Creek Rock is offline
.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: McHenry,Garrett County Maryland
Posts: 5,091
Images: 3
Deep Creek Rock Deep Creek Rock is offline
.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
Deep Creek Rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: McHenry,Garrett County Maryland
Posts: 5,091
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
Is the weapon cleared? I despise Muzle Loaders. If you cant clear it scott can. Hes a master at that shit.

I had one blow up trying to dislodge a charge. Some dummy loaded 3 rounds and 3 charges. I soaked the bore in oil for a week. I was able to pull the front round and charge with a round puller, then I put a drive rod in the back of the gun (Aluminum) and started to tap the rounds out it. Well the compression or something set the ceter charge off. I heard a pfffffft and I ducked, not a second later a sabot fired out of the muzzle, the rond shot out the back and impaled the tolbox and the last round stayed in the bore somehow.

I have also had residue flash off after soaking the bores in oil when I heated them to remove stuck breach plugs.

If they are really stuck you have to dril the mout and use an E-Z out with an impact wrench to break it loose.

Oh god I hate muzzle loaders. I think I have an ulcer just thinkng about it.
Pyrodex is actually impact sensitve - its actually recommended that you dont tamp for that reason. Never understand why people tamp anyways.
__________________
One Shot, One Kill !....One Mind ...Any Weapon!

Deep Creek Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 04:56 PM #10
clandestine's Avatar
clandestine clandestine is offline


AR15 Instructor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Glen Burnie, MD
Posts: 32,882
clandestine clandestine is offline


AR15 Instructor
clandestine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Glen Burnie, MD
Posts: 32,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Creek Rock View Post
Pyrodex is actually impact sensitve - its actually recommended that you dont tamp for that reason. Never understand why people tamp anyways.
I had exhausted every method. Drilling, Pulling, ect.... The first round wasnt charged with pyrodex. It was standard blackpoweder. This guy must have changed powders in between rounds. The sabots were also different brands as well once we recovered the fired ones.
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Black Powder


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2017, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service