Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Curio and Relic (C&R)

Join MD Shooters

Old August 15th, 2011, 08:00 AM #1

7.62X25 Bulgarian Ammo Warning

Not sure how valid the warning is about the Bulgarian Tokarev Ammo being dangerous but I had heard that warning more than once.

I ran across this warning again on AmmoGuide which included a Photo of the Box and I believe the Headstamp.

I have not personally used any of this Ammo so I can't speak from experience but thought it was in the best interest of any of our members who may have any of this ammo to make them aware of the reported danger.

With the shortage of 7.62X25 Ammo I have noticed several brands of Ammo being offered on GunBroker and others. (at outrageous prices from six Months Back)

If you should see any Bulgarian offered I would stay away from it. but it's your choice. Like I say I have no personal experience with bad Toke Ammo, with exception to the cracked neck Polish which I shoot with some reluctance. With all the problems with surplus 7.62X25 I've set up my LEE to reload that cal.

In checking Gunbroker I found five seperate Auctions for Bulgarian Ammo.

http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/myag.cgi?sn=BNprrsCfnJ&cky=

"...Ammunition-test results... indicate the sample ammo in question generated an AVERAGE of 46,000 cup..."
Attached Images

Last edited by edhallor; August 15th, 2011 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Addition Info on Gunbroker added
edhallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 02:24 PM #2
Retired C&R Addict

Retired C&R Addict

i cant get in the website, what exactly is the warning for? We all know Tok is a pretty high powered round.

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights.
The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”
—Federal Judge Benson Everett Legg
yellowsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 03:04 PM #3

From what I have seen, for every thread saying that ammo is too hot for pistols, there was another saying that it isn't.
I ended up with a fair quantity of it several years ago and it shoots the same as any other surplus 7.62x25. In fact I just put 100 rounds of it through my Romy Tokarev last Friday with no problems at all so I will side with those saying it is OK to shoot in pistols.
Old August 15th, 2011, 03:40 PM #4
collector of fine .22s

Send a message via AIM to 4g64loser
collector of fine .22s

Send a message via AIM to 4g64loser
this is essentially subgun ammo. i shoot it through cz52s. don't own any tokarev pistols, so not an issue for me. it runs GREAT out of a postie PPSH41. i'd agree that it's hotter than some other surplus, but i've had no major issues.
4g64loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 03:52 PM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsled View Post
i cant get in the website, what exactly is the warning for? We all know Tok is a pretty high powered round.
Basically they are saying that the Bulgarian Ammo is too hot to fire in the Tokes. I believe, "but don't quote me" that this may go back to the rumor that there was some "Hot" Toak ammo floating around that was intended for use in Machine Guns and possibly for the CZ52 which supposedly had a stronger Barrel than the Tokes.

This was proved to be false, in fact the Tokes I understand actually have a stronger Barrel than the CZ52.

I only post the warning as a large Ammo Board has seen fit to Post the warning on it's Home Page.

When you go to the Site, scroll to the bottom of the Home Page to the Warnings section and you will find the warning about the Bulgarian Ammo at the bottom of the page.

I'm no Ammo expert so take the warning for what it is worth, I only pass it on for your consideration.

I post the warning because it has again surfaced, I don't recall ever seeing a Picture of a Toke that went Kaboom using Bulgarian Ammo.

That said, I Post the warning because the Mods at a major Ammo Board saw fit to print it.

Ed
Old August 15th, 2011, 03:58 PM #6
Stop Negassing me!!!!!

Stop Negassing me!!!!!

Someone gave me about 500 rounds of the stuff unopened from their little tied paper wrappers. Out of that, I only found FOUR rounds that didn't have split necks and most of those were split down to the shoulder. I'll not be shooting any Bulgarian out of my CZ's ever. I'd shoot it in a PPSH but defenitely NOT a pistol.

If it's Czech and it's military, it's Cool!!
Combloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 05:21 PM #7
Nugget Popper

Nugget Popper

I bought some Bulgarian from a gun show a while back. It functioned, but every case split the neck, and the recoil was a little bit unnerving. It certainly felt "hot", to the point where I was a little worried about it. Thankfully I fired it all off without incident, and I know now not to buy any more.
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:13 PM #8

This story has been going on for over 10 years. It was originally thought to be questionable as the original poster who called himself the OG was a drama hound.
The original link posted by the OG no longer exists.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7895
I think if you have that specific batch with the star,10,52 and 3 (clockwise) of course be cautious and make your own decision. I would probably pass on buying it because of the rumor. I have used other Bulgarian with other 50's years without any indication of a problem.
miben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 11:59 PM #9

All those with worry about this ammo, feel free to PM me for a "disposal address" you can send it to. No charge.
Old August 17th, 2011, 08:20 AM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_bud View Post
All those with worry about this ammo, feel free to PM me for a "disposal address" you can send it to. No charge.
Fuel for the Fire.

http://www.ramanon.com/forum/showthr...bers-are-short

Me, I have all my reloading Dies, Sizer, and .32 Cal RN Mold waiting. I've got 1,500 Stlrline Casings on the way and should be set for a while. I have a couple of Load recommendations from a Master Boolet Maker over at Boolets.

Hopefully no more Corrosion or Split non-reusable cases.

I'll post the Load Data as I receive it and would appreciate any data our Reloaders may have.

Now, if I can only find an easy way to recover that Brass that kicks 30 Yards Out?

Ed

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Curio and Relic (C&R)