Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading

Notices

Old October 6th, 2011, 09:32 AM #21

hey, this is KINDA off topic, but i'm curios....are you using an adjustable gas block? i have a SI defense barrel, chambered in .300 fireball, that i just can't get to cycle. the gas port is in the pistol position (i think its .081"), i have a JP adjustable gas block, shooting 125gr with 19.8gr H110. I can get them to cycle the bolt, but it will not extract. When i shoot a 220gr with 9.8gr of 110
it will cycle, eject, etc. but will not strip the next round and chamber it. Any thoughts (short stroking?) I'm a newb. to reloading, and to this round. I've done a bit of research, but i'm still missing something. Also, i was thinking of scraping this project and just going with a blowback Tok upper (cheaper to shoot, no gas block to mess with) Thoughts on that. Thanks
motox79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 09:38 AM #22
John Galt Speaking.

John Galt Speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motox79 View Post
hey, this is KINDA off topic, but i'm curios....are you using an adjustable gas block? i have a SI defense barrel, chambered in .300 fireball, that i just can't get to cycle. the gas port is in the pistol position (i think its .081"), i have a JP adjustable gas block, shooting 125gr with 19.8gr H110. I can get them to cycle the bolt, but it will not extract. When i shoot a 220gr with 9.8gr of 110
it will cycle, eject, etc. but will not strip the next round and chamber it. Any thoughts (short stroking?) I'm a newb. to reloading, and to this round. I've done a bit of research, but i'm still missing something. Also, i was thinking of scraping this project and just going with a blowback Tok upper (cheaper to shoot, no gas block to mess with) Thoughts on that. Thanks
My Blackout doesn't have any issues with subsonics, even unsuppressed, and I'm not using an adjustable gas block.

..........................................-Hanlon's Razor

"No one Is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it."

..........................................-16 Am Jur 2d, Sec 177 late 2d, Sec 256
BenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 09:40 AM #23
John Galt Speaking.

John Galt Speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward78 View Post
A update on the 125 Sierra Pro Hunters they shot very well I got them to run at 2300fps with little signs of pressure so I am very happy with that.
2300fps is great; I wonder what the factory 125gr accutips are running at.

"No one Is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it."

..........................................-16 Am Jur 2d, Sec 177 late 2d, Sec 256
Old October 6th, 2011, 11:02 AM #24

Ben, what setup are you running? (bolt, barrel, gas postition, etc) thanks
Old October 6th, 2011, 12:40 PM #25
John Galt Speaking.

John Galt Speaking.

Quote:
Ben, what setup are you running? (bolt, barrel, gas postition, etc) thanks
CMMG 16" upper, pistol length gas system (non-adjustable), standard bolt, and a middy spring/buffer/buffer tube.

It shoots factory 220gr and 208gr Amax's (11.0gr of Reloader 7; ~1010fps) very reliably without a suppressor.

Old October 6th, 2011, 05:53 PM #26

Looks like some more official load data is being posted over on quarter bores forums.

Though for me I seemed to do okay with 17.5 of h110 for a 125 grain Hp. Was in a 16" aac barrel
HokieCasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 06:04 PM #27

yeah, i'm starting to lean towards out of spec brass, or a tight chamber.....gonna break out the old calipers tonight.....anyone know a good place to get a go-no go guage in .300-.221?
Old October 6th, 2011, 07:56 PM #28

Your problem is the powder you are using for a ar platform you can not use H110 on subsonic loads it is great for Supersonic but not the subsonic it will not create enough pressure to cycle the bolt completely. You need to use AA1680. Also H110 is position sensitive and should be used unless you are filling most of the case capacity with powder and with subsonic loads you do not so stay away from H110 on your subs. I am using a non adjustable YHM Lo Pro gas block on a Wilson Combat 16" barrel Carbine length gas system and have not had any over or under gassed issues on Super or Subsonic loads. Here is a link to some AA1680 load info bellow.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/38398925/S...r-Loading-Data

Quote:

NRA Member
Utah CCW Holder
MD Designated Collector
Gun Fanatic
Edward78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 08:17 PM #29

My loads are a little hot for sure but not to hot to be unsafe in my rifle but others my not be able to achieve that velocity safely. If you reload use LC or comparable brass (PMC Federal Win Remington and so forth are to soft) and thick primers made for Ar's like CCI military, wolf or tula .223 primers and you should be able to get a little more out of you rifle with out the brass failing but do so at your own risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenL View Post
2300fps is great; I wonder what the factory 125gr accutips are running at.

NRA Member
Utah CCW Holder
MD Designated Collector
Gun Fanatic
Edward78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:42 AM #30

actually, the subs run better! i can occaionally get it to cycle a sub properly. sometimes it will shortstroke the subs (ejects fine, strips and chambers the next round, but does not trip the sear, there is no "click" to make the firearm go "bang"!) Also, most of the case IS filled in the subs (the 110 is supposed to be pretty bulky. The supersonics seem to be the problem. It will blowback the carrier, but the case stays in the chamber, the next round will jam into it.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading