Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Neighborhood > West Virginia

Notices

Old July 11th, 2011, 11:00 PM #1

Transporting Guns to WV

I thought this would be the best place to get my question answered. I tried searching but could not find anything specific.

I am planing to visit my Bother in-law who lives in Martinsburg two weeks from now with my Shotgun, .22 and AR-15 to do some shooting at a range.
Is there anything I need to be aware of regarding any specific rules transporting my guns to WV as well as his house and then to the range.

Likewise he would like to come down to my house in Maryland with his AR-15, handgun and shotgun and then we plan to go to my range the morning after he arrives and then he will depart about a day later. Would this be ok ?

Thanks in advance.
dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 01:30 AM #2

It all sounds routine enough. Each of you follow the usual Federal transport protocols. Just be careful about when in second stage , that going from your house to range transporting handgun is directly to/ from range.
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 03:33 PM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
It all sounds routine enough. Each of you follow the usual Federal transport protocols. Just be careful about when in second stage , that going from your house to range transporting handgun is directly to/ from range.
Thanks for the information. I still need some clarity if it is ok for my brother in-law to come to my house with his guns the night before we go shooting in the morning. The reason why I stress this is mainly because I have read on the forum that you can only drive to and from the range.

So basically what it boils down to is if he is allowed to bring his guns to my house in Maryland from WV.
Old July 13th, 2011, 01:33 PM #4

Drive to your house yes. Store at your house overnite yes. To / from range yes. From your house back to state line yes. Handgun in trunk while going shopping , out to dinner, visiting friends , no.
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 01:49 PM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
Drive to your house yes. Store at your house overnite yes. To / from range yes. From your house back to state line yes. Handgun in trunk while going shopping , out to dinner, visiting friends , no.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:02 PM #6

[I am asking my question in this old thread because I thought it better than creating a new one on the same topic]

This is also unclear to me. How exactly is Person A allowed to carry from his home to the home of Person B in WV? WV Code 61-7-6 says the person has to be carrying from his or her own home to and from a range, or to and from the store of purchase or repair. I don't see mention of carrying to a friend's or relative's home. Maybe I am missing something, either in state law or in FOPA?
Tashtego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 08:26 AM #7

This is all good info to know I am planing to do a trip to wv soon.
MrPiBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 09:49 AM #8
FFL/SOT

FFL/SOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashtego View Post
[I am asking my question in this old thread because I thought it better than creating a new one on the same topic]

This is also unclear to me. How exactly is Person A allowed to carry from his home to the home of Person B in WV? WV Code 61-7-6 says the person has to be carrying from his or her own home to and from a range, or to and from the store of purchase or repair. I don't see mention of carrying to a friend's or relative's home. Maybe I am missing something, either in state law or in FOPA?
I think you have to read the section in its entirety. 61-7-6 is a list of exemptions for activities that may otherwise require a carry permit.
Here's the full section: http://www.legis.state.wv.us/wvcode/...rt=7&section=6
bcr229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 10:04 AM #9

Here is a web link to get to all of the state laws: http://www.atf.gov/publications/fire.../31st-edition/

Here are WV Laws: http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...ginia-2010.pdf

Here are MD Laws: http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...yland-2010.pdf
MikeTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 01:26 PM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
I think you have to read the section in its entirety. 61-7-6 is a list of exemptions for activities that may otherwise require a carry permit.
Here's the full section: http://www.legis.state.wv.us/wvcode/...rt=7&section=6
Thanks BCR. But if I put a firearm in my car and take it to my friend or relative's house, I am carrying. Therefore, I need a carry permit, unless I fall into one of those exemptions. And I don't see "going to a friend or relative's house who gives me permission to bring a gun," or even "shooting at a friend or relative's property with their permission," among those exceptions.

So I recognize I might be missing something--I am asking what it is.

Am I not "carrying" when I do those things, and if so, how does the statute say I am not carrying? Or, am I exempt from the carrying ban in those situations, and if so under which exemption?

Finally, is it possible that we might be MORE protected going across state lines to a friend or relative's property to legally shoot, if FOPA protects us from anti-carry laws in those circumstances, whereas in-state laws do not? In other words, if we can show it is legal in WV to shoot at a friend's private property with his permission, would it not be true that FOPA would protect me crossing state lines to a friend's property in WV to legally shoot? Whereas if I was in Maryland going to a Maryland friend's property to shoot, or if I was in WV going to a WV friend's property to shoot, FOPA would not apply and I would be stuck with no exemption from anti-carry laws?

Again I am honestly trying to figure out how this works. Thanks for all your input!
Tashtego is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Neighborhood > West Virginia