• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blalock

Apr 1, 2009
    Kingsville, MD
    Today while shooting my AR I had the pleasure of meeting some of Baltimore Countys finest who informed me that I could not shoot in the Metropolitan district of the County. They were very nice and said basicly that if the neighbors hadn't called that they could care less. I'm trying to find out what the actual Metropolitan district is without having to drive to the police station. Does anyone have any idea?

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Today while shooting my AR I had the pleasure of meeting some of Baltimore Countys finest who informed me that I could not shoot in the Metropolitan district of the County. They were very nice and said basicly that if the neighbors hadn't called that they could care less. I'm trying to find out what the actual Metropolitan district is without having to drive to the police station. Does anyone have any idea?

You might be able to call your local precinct to find out, but the information is only posted there and at the courthouse.

Teemus

MSI Executive Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    I think this means any part of Baltimore Couty that is served by the Baltimore City Water System.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Baltimore County Code:

§ 17-2-101. DISCHARGING FIREARM OR WEAPON IN METROPOLITAN DISTRICT.
    (a) Prohibition. Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, a person may not fire or discharge a crossbow, pistol, air pistol, gas-propelled pistol, rifle, air rifle, gas-propelled rifle, or shotgun within:

(1) The limits of the metropolitan district of the county;

(2) A nondistrict enclave within the metropolitan district; or

(3) An appendage attached to the metropolitan district.

(b) Duty to post metropolitan district. The Police Department shall post in the county courthouse and in every police station and substation throughout the county, accurate maps designating the locations of the boundary lines of the metropolitan district established according to the Code.

(c) Exception. This section does not prohibit:

(1) A licensed hunter from discharging a shotgun, properly hunting in season using a shotgun that contains no heavier than No. 2 shot; or

(2) A person from discharging or firing a crossbow, pistol, air pistol, gas-propelled pistol, rifle, air rifle, gas-propelled rifle, or shotgun:

(i) On a permanently located, properly posted, and bona fide target range, the location of which has been filed with the Police Department;

(ii) When reasonably necessary for the defense of life or property; or

(iii) As part of a military occasion when the discharge is done under the orders of a commanding officer.

(d) Automatic weapons.

(1) In this subsection “automatic weapon” means any weapon capable of firing multiple shots with one depression of the trigger.

(2) Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, a person may not fire or discharge an automatic weapon in the county.

I agree with Teemus. It has something to do with the water and sewer district but I can't find a map of it. Exeption 2(i) looks interesting.

Afield

Jul 3, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    Here in my nanny-state county, we have a similar thing. The "urban area," which kind of runs north-ish of where Watts Branch runs into the Potomac River. Basically, mostly affects hunters who run afoul of the rules while duck hunting from boats drifting down the Potomac. Its like a $1000 fine and jail time too (thinking of "Office Space" sentencing scene), again, subject to the mood of the person catching you. The following article does little to define the zone well.

http://www.gazette.net/stories/02022011/wheanew215656_32548.php

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    What is the zoning? If it is "RC" ( rural conservation) you shouldn't have a problem. You may be in a mixed area, with some RC, and some metro type zoning. That could mess things up.

I don't know how it would work in solid RC where every other property has target shooting going on at some point or another, and some whiny ninny moves in and calls the cops over simple target shooting. I was talking to one neighbor one day about wether they even notice anyone shooting, and she said she is so used to it she doesn't even notice it anymore, but that a friend of hers from the city come to visit and heard some shooting and asked wether to call the police. We both laughed.

One time at a private range in PA, there was a guy there with a suppressed .223 or 5.56 rifle. It sounded like a .22lr, and he was shooting at 300 yards. It was really neat to hear the pop, then a half second later a "clink" on the metal target. Point is, you could still hear the report. Maybe there are bigger better suppressors. I'm not well versed in this.

I still can't believe no one called the cops the day last summer that I had some PA guys over and we had an M1, an AR, and an AK, as well as a shotgun and a bunch of pistols. It was mad loud with that M1, and the guys got me to do some rapid fire with the AK. Then someone was a bad boy and was bump firing a pistol. Oh well, it was only going on for about 2.5 hours on a nice saturday afternoon...

surplusfan

Feb 2, 2009
    PA
    Kingsville aint what she used to be....I had a friend that lived up there circa 1993. Used to hear gunshots all of the time. No one ever called the cops.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

No Neighbors.

No Problems. :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom