• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Lots of folks using Trailboss powder popular with cowboy action shooters for quiet .308.
    You may need to open up the flash holes on your brass to get a better burn.
    If you do open any flash holes be sure and mark that brass well as you can NEVER use that brass for standard rifle pressure rounds again.
    There is a bunch of info out there for quiet .30cal due to the popularity of the 300 Whisper.
    I would suggest reading everything you can get your hands on twice.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I don't reload, but here is some SubSonic .308 ammo that I bought on GunBroker. It is VERY quiet.

Attachments

• SS 308.jpg
      SS 308.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 412

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    What twist is your barrel? Are they coming out straight?

I was thinking of getting some trailboss and working up a subsonic load for the Hornady 208 gr. .30, but wasn't sure how they'd fly in my 1:10 .308.

I shot a few of the subsonics this weekend out of my Savage BAS-K. It has a 24" barrel with a 1:10 twist. They are definately no where near as accurate as full power loads. This was my first time shooting this gun. The best were a few 3/4" & 7/8" 5 shot groups at 100 yds with 168gr Hornady Match & 168 gr Federal GM. For comparision, a 3 shot group of the 200gr Subsonics were about a 2 to 2.5" group. To me, these are really just fun rounds for playing with the silencer. The silencer is an SWR Omega 300.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I shot a few of the subsonics this weekend out of my Savage BAS-K. It has a 24" barrel with a 1:10 twist. They are definately no where near as accurate as full power loads. This was my first time shooting this gun. The best were a few 3/4" & 7/8" 5 shot groups at 100 yds with 168gr Hornady Match & 168 gr Federal GM. For comparision, a 3 shot group of the 200gr Subsonics were about a 2 to 2.5" group. To me, these are really just fun rounds for playing with the silencer. The silencer is an SWR Omega 300.

:thumbsup:

Exact same barrel, and exactly what I wanted to know.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    BenL, after getting home and looking at the target, here is a little more info for you. The subsonic 3 shot group actually measured 1-7/8". Putting the silencer on the barrel changed the POA to POI to 5" low at 100 yards. Ammo here was 168gr Hornady Match and that 5 shot group was 7/8" with the silencer. The SWR Omega 300 is a heavy, but very effective can! (10.5" long, 32oz of stainless steel, and rated for 300 WMag.) The drop with the 200 gr subsonic ammo was 11-12" at 100 yards. That subsonic ammo is VERY quiet (and fun:)), but not for long range shooting.

I'm looking forward to trying out this rifle, silencer, and different types of ammo again when it is not 40 degrees and drizzling.

JC308

Aug 14, 2009
    White Marsh
    I have load up some .223 sub for my bolt gun. Some people talk about drilling out the flash hole. I just use a magnum primer to light the low charge. And it works very will.
    That's my 2 cents.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Would subsonic .308 cycle an AR platform gun? I doubt it but just asking. Just picked up my first .308 rifle.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Would subsonic .308 cycle an AR platform gun? I doubt it but just asking. Just picked up my first .308 rifle.

With a suppressor it might. However you probably would need an adjustable gas block and to open up the gas port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom