• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Ok, I'm aware of the negative press regarding the Mitchell's Mausers as a whole. That being said I think I did pretty well today at the York show with this: 147 code 1940 date k98 (J.P. Sauer and Sohn production) with Nazi proofs, blue bolt which appears correct, and 100% matching serial numbers throughout. Certificate lists this as one of their Premium Grade models. This is the nicest K98 I've ever seen, and I've seen plenty of the surplus ones. What would have been a good price range to pay (I'll reveal what I actually paid after some responses)? Should I shoot this with the same surplus Yugo ball I'm using in my M24/47, or should I only shoot non-corrosive in this?

Attachments

• k98 #7.jpg
      k98 #7.jpg
      67.2 KB · Views: 957
    • k98 #1.jpg
      k98 #1.jpg
      64.4 KB · Views: 844
    • k98 #2.jpg
      k98 #2.jpg
      58.3 KB · Views: 827
    • k98 #3.jpg
      k98 #3.jpg
      73.3 KB · Views: 843
    • k98 #4.jpg
      k98 #4.jpg
      77.3 KB · Views: 832
    • k98 #5.jpg
      k98 #5.jpg
      54.6 KB · Views: 824
    • k98 #6.jpg
      k98 #6.jpg
      48.6 KB · Views: 849

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    Go ahead and shoot it. Mitchell arms has a reputation of matching the numbers. From the pix it looks buffed. But that said it look great.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Go ahead and shoot it. Mitchell arms has a reputation of matching the numbers. From the pix it looks buffed. But that said it look great.

I've read alot about their M48's being passed off as K98's, but this one seems to be a genuine article. Any opinion on a fair price? I'm still newer to this, explain buffed?

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    See the faint stampings on the reciever. They should be deeper. I've read that they refinish RC 98ks and match the numbers. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice rifle. But not a high dollar collectable. How's the bore? I like Mausers, I've three myself. I have three grades of ammo, 70's Yugo (my fav) 70's Romanian (when I plan to shoot alot that day) and 70's N/C Port surplus (shoots nice, but I'm hording it)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Mitchells are the mausers to buy if you want a really accurate one, that you can shoot, that will have TIGHT headspace.

They look good and shoot good. The bores are usually pristine.

I would say a fair price for that is $500.00

Thats certainly a K98, its not an M48.

Heres an M48 Mitchells that I reworked further, and turned it into a Serb Sniper:

DSC08016.jpg

DSC08017.jpg

DSC08018.jpg

DSC08019.jpg

DSC08020.jpg

DSC08024.jpg

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Well I guess I didn't do bad then, I got it for $400. I heard from 2 other people that were there that they would have bought it if they had the cash (that particular dealer only was accepting cash, but the ATM was still full luckily for me). Looks like an older one of theirs (guesstimate from the outdated pamphlet inside), from the box it looks like it was bought from someone other than Mitchell's by the shipping label. The point I'm seeing here with it is that it has been reworked and refinished, but also that it is real. Bore is perfect and looks unfired btw.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    $400 is a really good buy on that. That Yugo ammo, is it the 50' or 70's stuff. two of my mausers have the sight hood, and the one that doesn't has the better sight picture. It's easier for my old eyes to see the target.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan

My research shows that the Sauer and Sohn produced models have a light date code and date stamp on the top of the receiver which is why all other markings are deeper. Nothing I can find screams RC, anyone else with expertise care to weigh in?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Also of note too, everything I read about the Mitchell's talks about the white bolts, this one is blued and also has a correct buttplate which seems to be another point of contention with their guns. Based on the paperwork this appears to be their Premium Grade (which from the condition I can believe that) which retails from them for $899. So somehow I've gotten some kind of fantastic deal it would seem at $400?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    That is a really nice looking Mauser, and you are lucky as Mitchell has been putting M48s out (or mixed M48 parts and K98 parts) as the new deal lately. There older stock guns were real nice. Refinished but great looking guns for the non purebred collector.

I wouldnt worry about corrosive ammo, its seen plenty in its life already, just make sure you clean it really well.

P.S. I am having some real problems with the case of Yugo 8mm me and my father split. Was in the tin when we got it, but about 17 out of 60 light fired in three guns (Persian, K98, and M24) fired on the second hit. Think its past its prime. Buy with caution.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    That's the other question I have to resolve, when was this particular gun made/ sold by Mitchell's. The Mitchell's box has a shipping label from what appears to be a private party in MA to the dealer, and the box had older pamphlets.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    What MM does is that they take russian capture riffles strip them down, buff and sand them, grind the old serial numbers off the small parts and re-stamp them. If you were to look up the waffens on the small parts they probably wont match with the riffles maker or known subcontractors for parts.
    The problem some have is that they feel like MM is lying with there advertising of these rifles. In the collectors market an all matching original K98 averages @ $1500 and can go as hi as $3000 for a more rare one, so there are people out there that "hump" (reserial number) these to realize a greater profit. So it makes people in the collector market frown upon those that do. MM at least states that their rifles are factory overhauled but they do not really advertise this and in their older adds they were outright deceptive.
    I for one don't care what MM does its still a German Mauser at heart just not in original WWII all matching, at least they are blueing the bolts now. I have probably done worse to my RC mauser by changing the stock and removing the dip but I wanted one that looked better.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    What MM does is that they take russian capture riffles strip them down, buff and sand them, grind the old serial numbers off the small parts and re-stamp them. If you were to look up the waffens on the small parts they probably wont match with the riffles maker or known subcontractors for parts.
    The problem some have is that they feel like MM is lying with there advertising of these rifles. In the collectors market an all matching original K98 averages @ $1500 and can go as hi as $3000 for a more rare one, so there are people out there that "hump" (reserial number) these to realize a greater profit. So it makes people in the collector market frown upon those that do. MM at least states that their rifles are factory overhauled but they do not really advertise this and in their older adds they were outright deceptive.
    I for one don't care what MM does its still a German Mauser at heart just not in original WWII all matching, at least they are blueing the bolts now. I have probably done worse to my RC mauser by changing the stock and removing the dip but I wanted one that looked better.

Good point about matching the proof marks to documentation. 1940 Sauer's are fairly well documented in books and the Internet so I'll work in that direction. Also I may contact Mitchell's to see if they can provide any further info as the box and barrel import mark both have their batch number present.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    No doubt Mitchells overhaul the guns, change numbers on parts, ect. I have had a few in my hands, and you can tell some of the parts were newly made and serialed to the gun. I myself don't have a problem with it, as long as the buyer knows what they are getting. The bottom line is you get a very nice looking, great shooting K98 for a fair price. You can't buy a capture rifle and recondition it yourself for that price.

On the Yugo 8mm, the 50's era has very hard primers. I am shooting that in my 1919A4 that I just built, and I had to make mods to the striker to get them to reliably light off. I still get a couple here and there that don't go boom. Place it in the next go around and it will fire though.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Oh, and to answer your question, I would have easily parted with 400 bucks for your rifle. That is a very nice looking Mauser, and worth every penny and more.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    No doubt Mitchells overhaul the guns, change numbers on parts, ect. I have had a few in my hands, and you can tell some of the parts were newly made and serialed to the gun. I myself don't have a problem with it, as long as the buyer knows what they are getting. The bottom line is you get a very nice looking, great shooting K98 for a fair price. You can't buy a capture rifle and recondition it yourself for that price.

On the Yugo 8mm, the 50's era has very hard primers. I am shooting that in my 1919A4 that I just built, and I had to make mods to the striker to get them to reliably light off. I still get a couple here and there that don't go boom. Place it in the next go around and it will fire though.

Yup pretty much my experience, wont be buying anymore 50s Yugo ammo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom