• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I met Steve this weekend and we had a great talk. He is very pro 2A and for CCW.
    Steve is a prior Marine aviator and native of MD. He's got a great head on his shoulders and will be in our corner for the 2A fight.
    His website:
    http://www.waugh2010.com/index.php
    I told him about MDS and MSI and am going to pass links o him so he can check us out.
    This guy in my opinion is the real deal.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    His website does not say, but it holds a lot of positions frequently credited to Republicans: lower taxes; reduced spending; smaller government; etc. He is in favor of the AZ immigration law and for small businesses (really, who doesn't claim to be for small business?).

But his positions on 2A seem clear from the OP. In my mind it'd be better if he were a Democrat, so that 2A would stop being a polarizing issue between the parties.

Remember two things: many Dems are in favor of 2A; Ronald Reagan was a Republican and did more damage to 2A than Obama and Clinton combined.

2A is not about a party affiliation; it is about a Constitutional affiliation.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Waugh is a Republican. The good thing about getting a republican majority (yeah right in Maryleft) is the Mr. Frosh would be out of a committee head job and that would weigh very well for 2A.

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Remember two things: many Dems are in favor of 2A; Ronald Reagan was a Republican and did more damage to 2A than Obama and Clinton combined.

I honestly know nothing about Reagan and 2A, so please enlighten me. I know about the nat'l parks carry restriction, but what other positions did he take?

I hit the web for answers, but only found pro-2A info, such as: http://www.nraila.org/Issues/Articles/Read.aspx?ID=140
    Then again, I wouldn't expect a negative article to be written by NRA after his death. :rolleyes:

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Reagan started the "Assault Weapon Ban" wagon, which Clinton merely expanded. Reagan also pushed for a series of laws that created seven day waits for handguns and banned the sale of all auto weapons to civilians if they were manufactured after 1986. And the "Brady" in Brady Bill was Reagan's aide who took a bullet when Hinckley tried to kill the President. As much as I sympathize with his friend getting shot, the "Brady Bunch" as we call them today was just Sarah Brady and some anti-gun people ranting into the wind. Until Reagan gave them a law and a prominence.

The lasting effect of the Clinton expansion is bad memories. Obama has done little more than scare up so many sales that ammo is expensive. But Ronnie's legacy lives on. You can Google quite a bit more.

Do I claim that Republicans are generally worse than Democrats when it comes to guns? No. But Reagan is a reminder that we stand surrounded by politicians who will trade our rights at a whim. GWB was willing to sign into a limited AWB if he got his way on some other laws. Didn't happen. But the fact is we were once again a bargaining chip.

Hopefully the Supreme Court puts an end to it.

Aug 7, 2010
    Gents,

I'm Steve Waugh, and I'm here to answer your questions! Also, just filled out my candidate questionaire from NRA/ILA, so went through some interesting topics.

Looking forward to getting to know you, and sharing your views on 2nd Amendment.

Semper Fi,
    Steve

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Welcome, Sir.

You might want to post your geography in terms other then "District 29", because few people pay attention to such things. You'd hate to miss some supporters just because they are not up to date on archaic MD district plans.

Maybe a map.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom