• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zebramochaman

May 3, 2009
    Damascus, MD
    I own an Arisaka Type 99 that my father-in-law brought home from WWII. If I am reading the symbology correctly, I believe that it is a series 20 made in the Kokura arsenal.
    From what I have been able to google, series 20's were made at Kokura from 1939 through 1945. The serial number is 55897. Can anyone tell me based on this information what year this gun was made?
    I know these rifles are not particularly valuable. Its currently detailed stripped. I am refinishing the stock and reblueing the metal (not Bubba-rizing). My goal is to have it look like a cleaned-up version of a field grade weapon.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Could you shoot a picture of the actual marks and post it here. I will be more than happy to give you all the info I have about these rifles.

Otherwise re-bluing is not recommended! These are old battle rifles and develop a patina. Unless they are sporterized anyway, you will decrease the value of your rifle.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    When I bought a T99 a while back I did a lot of searching on the net about Arisaka's. I'm certainly no expert on them.

There are no difinitive records on dates or years of manufacture I've ever found. Considering we were at war and it was 'the enemy's rifle' that's not surprising.

This site was a nice find. Mine turned out to be a Nagoya Arsenal - series 1 which would put it very early on the time table. It's a terrific and strong shooter with my light reloads.
    http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html

Since there are no accurate records, the series symbols are only one clue as to 'about when' an Arisaka was made. Other clues are type of sights, quality of metal work,furniture, butt plate...lot's of things.

Generally the later an Arisaka was made, the less likely I'd want to actually shoot it. Metalurgy declined quickly around 1942 and there are plenty of "Last Ditch" rifles around that are collector's items, but unsafe to fire. If I had a genuine WWII bring back, I'd leave it as-is. IMHO, it has more value in that.

Echo Victor

Mar 25, 2009
    Harf Co.
    The Arisakas I’ve seen have an interesting brown tome to the metal as it has aged.
    I would definitely not re-blue it!

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Agreed. Unless its already molested and sporterized, I'd leave it as is. There are other more sporterizable milsurps with more easily available ammo than the 7.7 jap cartridge.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I own an Arisaka Type 99 that my father-in-law brought home from WWII. If I am reading the symbology correctly, I believe that it is a series 20 made in the Kokura arsenal.
    From what I have been able to google, series 20's were made at Kokura from 1939 through 1945. The serial number is 55897. Can anyone tell me based on this information what year this gun was made?
    I know these rifles are not particularly valuable. Its currently detailed stripped. I am refinishing the stock and reblueing the metal (not Bubba-rizing). My goal is to have it look like a cleaned-up version of a field grade weapon.

BTW:

:needpics:

Agreed. Unless its already molested and sporterized, I'd leave it as is. There are other more sporterizable milsurps with more easily available ammo than the 7.7 jap cartridge.

+1

However, since I reload, Prvi makes 7.7 jap cases and T99 Arisaka's shoot .311's just like Mosin's and Enfields...availability of ammo hasn't been an issue for me. :innocent0

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom