Go Back   Maryland Shooters > General > Comments and Suggestions
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old August 5th, 2020, 09:38 PM #1

Gun safes and Cases

Being all new to this. What would an experienced responsible person recommend for a gun safe and range carry. I am looking for something inexpensive for now and a few suggestions from the group

Also, if you guys have any safes or gun cleaning stuff you looking to get rid, sell or donate I would also appreciate it.

Thank you!
Rick Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2020, 10:21 PM #2

Depends on what you consider inexpensive. In my opinion, based on what I have read, this is the best deal with regards to a balance between size, security, and price.

https://www.sturdysafe.com/products/model-2016

I have two Zanotti safes and a Fort Knox. I bought the Fort Knox years ago which is a good safe in my view. In the past few years, I bought the Zanotti's because I needed the modularity. If I didn't need that feature, I would be buying a big Sturdy safe.

If you don't have the money for this Sturdy safe now, I recommend you save up for it. Don't buy big box store crap.
Old August 5th, 2020, 11:29 PM #3

It partially depends on what you have and are using? Long guns or pistols or both? How expensive are they?

I have hard cases for my bigger expensive rifles and pistols but a soft case is fine as long as you aren't going too far. I have an explorer bag and just bought a savior american classic double rifle bag. Both are good soft cases for long guns. If you want. A decent hard case for the money for rifles, take a look at harbor freight at the Apache 9800 case. For pistols, you can do a soft case but a small hard case isnt too bulky or expensive.

As for storage at home, the best defense imho is to be as inconspicuous as possible. I have been moving a lot the last eight years so I only have a sheet metal case that I hide and bolt down. It doesn't have a fire rating and isnt a true safe but will keep snatch and grabs off it as well as kids.
Swaim13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2020, 11:57 PM #4
Making Libs Cry Since '80

Making Libs Cry Since '80

Best Buyers Guide for Gun Safes on the intersebz.

https://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html

I went with a Sturdy after reading 6mmbr's Safe Guide

"A long time ago, I made me a rule. I let people do what they want to do."
Hondo Lane

"What's good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Augustus "Gus" McCrae
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2020, 03:06 AM #5
Purity of Essence

Purity of Essence

In addition to seconding the link Huckleberry posted, there is one absolute rule of safes:

Always buy one twice as big as you think you'll need. Always.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

A new life awaits you on the off-world colonies!
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2020, 08:00 AM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by K31 View Post
In addition to seconding the link Huckleberry posted, there is one absolute rule of safes:

Always buy one twice as big as you think you'll need. Always.
So true!
hosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2020, 11:02 AM #7

I have perhaps a bit of a contrarian position on safes. I don't have any irreplaceable firearms; all mine can be easily replaced with $$$. Might take a few months to find a particular item in the condition that I want, but they are available. I have fire insurance and documentation of what is present in my home (in a separate location). I have smoke alarms and residential fire sprinklers and practice good fire prevention practices, all for reasons not related to firearms.

I'm see no point to spending the $$$$$ for a so-called 'fireproof' safe that provides limited protection to a specified test fire that may or may not be representative of the heat flux and duration from a fire in my home. There are a couple of YouTube videos out there about opening a gun safe after a fire - pretty enlightening to someone who thinks 'fireproof' means no damage to the contents.

I personally laid hands on several 'fireproof' gun safes in the aftermath of the Paradise CA fire of 2018. Everything inside each of them was seriously damaged or unrecoverable since the fires exceed the intensity, heat flux, and duration of the test fires to which the safes had been tested. If you live in an area with a good, aggressive and well-trained fire department and a short response time, a 'fireproof' safe may protect the contents long enough for the FD to suppress the fire. But purchase good insurance, just in case the FD is out on another fire when your fire occurs.

That said, there most certainly have been home fires where the 'fireproof' gun safe protected the contents. I have seen several web pages documenting such success stories; so I am not dismissing them as useless. Match the fire rating of the safe to the anticipated worst-case fire event, and you can have a successful outcome. If fire rating > fire exposure, success.

My goals when storing firearms are: 1) prevent access by the children in my home (our kids are full grown, but their kids are not); 2) lessen the chance of a thief gaining access to firearms; and 3) permit rapid access for selected items for defensive purposes (not everything needs to be accessible in 12.47 seconds).

Any good-quality gun lock will accomplish #1. By good-quality I mean something better than the cheap cable locks that come with guns...

There are a lot of pundits that opine on different approaches to accomplish goal #2. It all depends on the certainty one wishes to achieve, since every lock and every safe can be defeated given perseverance, time and tools (and the skill to employ such). After considering a myriad of approaches, I decided to go with concealment as my first line of defense, backed up by storage that is moderately difficult to penetrate (i.e., 10 minutes or so of effort with standard tools). What works for me may not be appropriate for you.

With respect to goal #3, I employ different methods when children are present than I do when none are present; and that's all I am going to type about this in a public forum.... Match the protection to the hazard, a time-honored approach.
Flametamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2020, 11:33 AM #8

What are people’s thoughts on stack-on cabinets?
tdmne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2020, 12:29 PM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdmne View Post
What are people’s thoughts on stack-on cabinets?
They have their place its just a locker. I have a few.
"I acknowledge that such a debt [of service to my fellow-citizens] exists, that a tour of duty in whatever line he can be most useful to his country, is due from every individual. It is not easy perhaps to say of what length exactly that tour should be, but we may safely say of what length it should not be. Not of our whole life, for instance, for that would be to be born a slave--not even of a very large portion of it." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1793. ME 9:118
chrisflhtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2020, 09:03 AM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flametamer View Post
I'm see no point to spending the $$$$$ for a so-called 'fireproof' safe that provides limited protection to a specified test fire that may or may not be representative of the heat flux and duration from a fire in my home. There are a couple of YouTube videos out there about opening a gun safe after a fire - pretty enlightening to someone who thinks 'fireproof' means no damage to the contents.
My goals when storing firearms are: 1) prevent access by the children in my home (our kids are full grown, but their kids are not); 2) lessen the chance of a thief gaining access to firearms; and 3) permit rapid access for selected items for defensive purposes (not everything needs to be accessible in 12.47 seconds).
I am of the same mind with regards to "safes." I put "safes" in quotes because pretty much all of the typical gun "safes" that you see are not safes. They are glorified cabinets with a few layers of dry wall in them as the "fire proofing." ie garbage.

For me, right now, a simple SecureIT Answer Model 12 cabinet plus insurance works great. And I have a SecureIT Fast Box mounted under the bed to hold my main defense rifle.

Whenever we (wife and I) get around to building our planned home addition I am going all out just because I can. I plan to have the foundation guys pour in reinforced concrete walls for a vault in the basement and then I will have an actual UL listed TL 15 or 30 composite safe inside the vault plus a few of the large SecureIT ammo cabinets to store ammo and accessories. Safe will most likely be used and I will build out the interior using SecureITs system (I really like it) myself.

So, OP to answer your question. Check out SecureIT for simple home storage. For range transport I just use little soft cases for handguns that get stuffed into my range bag and I have a Pelican Mobile Armory soft case hard case combo that I use for travel and range time for long guns. The hard case only comes out for air travel or long distance when I need to stay in a hotel and I use the soft case by itself for 99% of my range trips. Basically any soft case will work for range trips. If you want to be 100% law compliant remember to have little locks that you can secure the zipper with.

If you could provide more details we could be more specific. Things like budget, what you have in your collection (long gun count, hand gun count), accessories you want to store (optics, ammo for example) etc.

And remember, whatever your get. . .bolt it down! Doesnt have to be into concrete. A few lag bolts into the floor and into wall studs will work. Example: when I moved recently I easily moved a stack on cabinet that was COMPLETELY full of ammo (well over 300 pounds) with a cheap hand truck all by myself.
niftyvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > General > Comments and Suggestions