• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    I've never used a recurve to hunt, and haven't even bow hunted since I was a young teen with a youth compound.

I always enjoyed using recurves more than compounds and decided to pick up one of these take-down 50# draw bows

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/martin-jaguar-take-down-recurve-bow.aspx?a=548939

need to get some decent arrows for it for when I can't use the crossbow or shotgun this season.

also. is it normal for bow strings to not have a nock?

I've done some target practice with it at about 20 yards so far and enjoy it (other than hitting the frame of my old target stand bending one aluminum shaft arrow and shattering a wooden shaft)

any suggestions?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I've never used a recurve to hunt, and haven't even bow hunted since I was a young teen with a youth compound.

I always enjoyed using recurves more than compounds and decided to pick up one of these take-down 50# draw bows

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/martin-jaguar-take-down-recurve-bow.aspx?a=548939

need to get some decent arrows for it for when I can't use the crossbow or shotgun this season.
    I've used a recurve to shoot pheasants, nutria and fish. Never did get a deer with mine, but mostly deer hunt with compounds anyway and have taken quite a few with the wheel bows.
    also. is it normal for bow strings to not have a nock?
    The nock itself is a part of the arrow. Do you mean "serving" for the nock, the area where the string is wrapped with fine cordage, or do you mean a "nock set", the small crimped-on ring of metal/rubber that provides a reference point?

Most, if not all, bowstrings are served in the nock area by the string maker.

New bows/strings require the nock set be installed by the archer, who will start with "square" to the arrow shelf/rest and then use the vertical position of the nock to fine tune arrow flight to prevent "porposing".

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    the nock set is what I was reffering to. I guess I'll have to find one at the store as it didn't come with one. not that it has been a huge deal for me, a peice of brite colored thread tied as a refference point would be enough to make me happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom