• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Started another thread (tell me I didn't make a mistake) regarding using a PSA 22lr upper with a Del Ton lower and was told that using those in combination with the Franklin binary trigger (Gen III) poses an out of battery explosion risk.

I had never even heard that term before so I spent the last day looking at virtually every review and discussion I could find on the trigger and the only "risk" I found was the possibility of hammer follow due to being able to outrun the gun with the binary trigger. All the advertisements also say the trigger "Works on .22LR uppers WITHOUT modification" and "Works on 9mm uppers WITHOUT modification".

It seemed to me that if out of battery kaboom was a risk with a blowback upper that it would have been mentioned somewhere by at least one person, BUT since I'm completely ignorant on the subject I'm throwing it out there to the collective wisdom of the group.

Anybody else have any personal experience/knowledge on this ??

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I haven't heard out of battery, there are some concerns about safety and trigger discipline.

I have one on the shelf that I haven't had a chance to install yet.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Regular AR's have a rotating/locking bolt.

This means that on a regular AR, unless something is grossly wrong with headspace or firing pin protrusion, it's almost impossible for one to fire unless the bolt is completely closed and locked, no matter when the hammer falls.

AR's in 9mm and .22 are blowback. It means that they can fire if the bolt is forward or partially open if the hammer drops. If the bolt is partially open and the hammer drops, the casing won't be fully supported by the chamber and the casing will rupture and blow the casing. Sometimes it does nothing, sometimes it just blows out a magazine and leaves a blown casing jam in the receiver. Sometimes the shooter gets serious shrapnel, and it's possible to get fatally wounded in a worst case scenario.

If you can't find cases of blowback firerams firing out of battery then your asking the wrong people or looking in the wrong places.

I have had countless blowback guns in my hands that have blown up with just a regular semi auto design. The binary triggers and bump stocks increase the risk of firing out of battery because of how the stocks and triggers work. I too have seen them blow up with these stocks and triggers. I have a very fast trigger finger and blew up my 9mm AR with a regular Geissele SSA-E. Adding a binary trigger (without a trigger lock/safety sear) or bump stock to a blowback AR is foolish no matter what the manufacturer says

The only binary trgger that won't allow a blowback gun to fire out of battery is the Fostec Echo, Gen 2 and if the host blowback gun has an M16 compatible carrier (M16 Carrier/Sear Trip). The Echo Trigger has a safety sear (they call it a trigger lock) that prevents the hammer from firing unless the carrier is in battery.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Got a chance to try one for the first time today, on both a 5.56 and 9mm. I was skeptical of them but after trying it it's way too much fun and pretty controllable. Definitely impressed

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Got a chance to try one for the first time today, on both a 5.56 and 9mm. I was skeptical of them but after trying it it's way too much fun and pretty controllable. Definitely impressed

I agree. And I think the safety concerns are way overblown.

Edit: safety concerns as far as controllability is concerned.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Regular AR's have a rotating/locking bolt.

This means that on a regular AR, unless something is grossly wrong with headspace or firing pin protrusion, it's almost impossible for one to fire unless the bolt is completely closed and locked, no matter when the hammer falls.

AR's in 9mm and .22 are blowback. It means that they can fire if the bolt is forward or partially open if the hammer drops. If the bolt is partially open and the hammer drops, the casing won't be fully supported by the chamber and the casing will rupture and blow the casing. Sometimes it does nothing, sometimes it just blows out a magazine and leaves a blown casing jam in the receiver. Sometimes the shooter gets serious shrapnel, and it's possible to get fatally wounded in a worst case scenario.

If you can't find cases of blowback firerams firing out of battery then your asking the wrong people or looking in the wrong places.

I have had countless blowback guns in my hands that have blown up with just a regular semi auto design. The binary triggers and bump stocks increase the risk of firing out of battery because of how the stocks and triggers work. I too have seen them blow up with these stocks and triggers. I have a very fast trigger finger and blew up my 9mm AR with a regular Geissele SSA-E. Adding a binary trigger (without a trigger lock/safety sear) or bump stock to a blowback AR is foolish no matter what the manufacturer says

The only binary trgger that won't allow a blowback gun to fire out of battery is the Fostec Echo, Gen 2 and if the host blowback gun has an M16 compatible carrier (M16 Carrier/Sear Trip). The Echo Trigger has a safety sear (they call it a trigger lock) that prevents the hammer from firing unless the carrier is in battery.

Thanks.

I guess for the 22 upper I should just stick to using the lower that I put a Rise Armament RA-140 trigger into, which has a light pull, and super short reset which is pretty damn fast.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thanks.

I guess for the 22 upper I should just stick to using the lower that I put a Rise Armament RA-140 trigger into, which has a light pull, and super short reset which is pretty damn fast.

I'm glad to shed some light on the question.

If you want a binary that works on everything, return the Franklin and Buy an Echo.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    I'm glad to shed some light on the question.

If you want a binary that works on everything, return the Franklin and Buy an Echo.

Would if I could but don't think they'll take it back after being installed and I'm pretty much tapped out :(

It's all good though. I've got enough toys to keep me happy for a long long time

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom