• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Just curious - CTD has a promotion where you vote every week on a custom AR build, piece by piece. Every vote you submit you enter for a chance to win the final rifle. They just had the barrel vote, and all 3 were nice barrels, but I can't tell if any would be classified as HBAR. This is the one that's leading so far - "Yankee Hill Machine 16" Barrel Diamond Fluted". Looked it up online & can't really find anything that helps with this determination, at least with my limited knowledge of the subject.

If any MDS members who are more AR-literate have been following this, do you know if this bbl would be MD compliant? It will be .556 NATO caliber, so HBAR rules will apply.

So far no folding stock (Luth AR stock) - check.
    Bbl is 16" - partial check

Parts selection goes until Oct 4th then it gets assembled and out to a lucky winner. In the (very) unlikely event I get drawn, I'd hate to not be able to take possession of it. I didn't see in the rules that it was not valid for residents of The Communist Republic of Maryland. All MDS members should participate, go check it out. If we can win it in the end, then it should be a sweet rifle to come home with.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    SmithMeme_CheaperThanDirt.jpg

Scumbag-Cheaper-Than-Dirt.jpg

gougemasters.jpg

prices-ctd.jpg

Cheaper-than-Dirt-4.jpg

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Before I knew any better, used to go thru CTD for a LOT of stuff.

After Newton, I haven't spent any of my own money with them. They can pound sand.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Not that I can tell. They don't even have an email address that I can find to send a question. I know our dumb MD laws don't define HBAR, so I was thinking find a barrel that is sold as "HBAR" & compare specs??

I'd email CTD to ask them but I'd like to have little to zero contact with them. I just want the rifle when it's done.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    I called yhm last year with the same question. The person I spoke with said they do not make any barrels that are considered h-bar

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I called yhm last year with the same question. The person I spoke with said they do not make any barrels that are considered h-bar
    Thanks for the info. That sux. What a let down now, in the extreme off chance one of us won the final build, we'd be exempt from getting it. Cash equivalent perhaps?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Thanks for the info. That sux. What a let down now, in the extreme off chance one of us won the final build, we'd be exempt from getting it. Cash equivalent perhaps?

Heh, good luck with that.

Knowing CTD, at best - credit. At worst, 'Well our Legal Dep't says you wouldn't have been able to take possession of the rifle anyways, so...'

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    CTD won't sell rimfire rifles, shotguns, or complete AR uppers to MD. Not sure if they will restrict Marylanders from winning in this promotion.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Wow, seeing those prices again make me feel sick to my stomach...lets hope they don't come back for a longgg time!
    If you're referring to the screen shot of CTD that was from someone named Shawn Mulligan, you'll have to note he photoshop edited a bunch of that page. If you witnessed those prices yourself - fine, but I suspect there's something afoot here, possibly some exaggeration for effect or just outright lying. I think that page is "fake news" myself.

I've bought from CTD for years and found them to be priced equally or better than most mainstream online retailers. Now, granted I've not bought AR or .223 stuff from them until the last 6 months, so maybe they were that bad at one point. I won't speak to that as I just don't know.

One knock I will say the few times I've called for customer service it was awful. Because of this I now only buy from them when they have a great sale too good to pass up, or if all the usual places don't have what I want/need. Thanks to MDS members' recommendations I now have around 10 or so new online sites to check out for better deals, but I won't just neglect CTD based on somebody's say so which is contrary to my experiences to date.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    If you're referring to the screen shot of CTD that was from someone named Shawn Mulligan, you'll have to note he photoshop edited a bunch of that page. If you witnessed those prices yourself - fine, but I suspect there's something afoot here, possibly some exaggeration for effect or just outright lying. I think that page is "fake news" myself.

I've bought from CTD for years and found them to be priced equally or better than most mainstream online retailers. Now, granted I've not bought AR or .223 stuff from them until the last 6 months, so maybe they were that bad at one point. I won't speak to that as I just don't know.

One knock I will say the few times I've called for customer service it was awful. Because of this I now only buy from them when they have a great sale too good to pass up, or if all the usual places don't have what I want/need. Thanks to MDS members' recommendations I now have around 10 or so new online sites to check out for better deals, but I won't just neglect CTD based on somebody's say so which is contrary to my experiences to date.

No, I actually remember their prices for 1,000 223 of 999.00......they are crooks, and I wouldn't buy from them ever.

They did the following to ME (not a second hand story)...
    I ordered 1000rds of Wolf 7.62x39 for $199 + ??? for shipping
    Two days later, Newtown CT happened. My order was cancelled because my order was "out of stock". Less than three hours later, the exact same product was re-listed for $499.
    I will never shop there again and will be hesitant to even accept something from them for free.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I survived the CTD fiasco after Newtown. CTD can suck a fat one and the people that run the show should have been torn apart by customers for the blatant gouging and intentional ripping off of the community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom