• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    Im trying to install a new cookie cutter compensator but I cannot get it timed. I have the compensator, two nylon washers I just grabbed at ace, a crush washer that came with the comp and I have the muzzle lock nut from the original muzzle brake. This is what it looks like with the muzzle lock nut and crush washer installed but not tight. You are looking at the top down view. So the ports should be on the sides. It looks horrendous.

Attachments

• IMG_2164.jpg
      IMG_2164.jpg
      48.4 KB · Views: 796

RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    When i remove the lock nut and just go with crush washer Im able to achieve a much better look but the timing is way off

Attachments

• IMG_2165.jpg
      IMG_2165.jpg
      50 KB · Views: 681

RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    When i go with one washer and a crush washer it lines up perfect but once I crank it tight it wont be lined up anymore

Attachments

• IMG_2167.jpg
      IMG_2167.jpg
      53.7 KB · Views: 742

RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    Any ideas on how to get it timed and still have as much of the compensator screwed in as possible so it gets close to the handguard?

Attachments

• IMG_2166.jpg
      IMG_2166.jpg
      64.9 KB · Views: 783
    • IMG_2160.jpg
      IMG_2160.jpg
      59.4 KB · Views: 681
    • IMG_2159.jpg
      IMG_2159.jpg
      62 KB · Views: 713

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    You'll need to push the barrel/thread shoulder back (so it indexes more), remove material from the mating face of the comp (so it indexes more), or have a custom spacer made.

If you have a spacer made, have it made a little too thick. Then you can sand it/file it/machine it to the exact thickness.

Remember to keep it a little thick though. So you can torque it into place/proper timing.

Make certain the muzzle doesn't bottom out inside the comp.

Good luck.

PS: Lose all of the little bits and go with one spacer. Looks like a lock nut will be a b!tch to secure with the hand guard so close to the comp.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Use a peel washer and take off a layer at a time until you get it right.

Last edited:

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    A crush washer should give you up to one full turn when you torque it down. Looks like you just need to put some elbow grease into the installation

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Just use the crush washer, tapered side toward receiver. If you "torque" it down and it's not timed correctly, break it loose and re-torque and it will be closer to being timed. May take a few times.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    How are you holding it onto the vice?
    More experienced guys answer this: Doesn't he run the risk of breaking something like the barrel pin if the barrel nut is not correct and not clamping to the barrel?
    especially if torquing it down hard
    I have used a barrel clamp after removing the hand guard when doing brakes/compensators.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    More experienced guys answer this: Doesn't he run the risk of breaking something like the barrel pin if the barrel nut is not correct and not clamping to the barrel?
    I have used a barrel clamp after removing the hand guard when doing brakes/compensators.

Should be using a BEV block or an Action rod, yes.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The barrel extension does need to be supported when torquing on a barrel, a few tools like the Bev block accomplish that. I personally like the Precision armament accu-washers. $25 for a set, each washer will change the index point 20 degrees with about .003" thickness increments, so you can get perfect alignment and a concentric fit with a single solid stainless washer at a proper torque, easier to use and tougher than a peel washer. If you end up between washers to get a proper fit, a couple swipes with a stone will make it fit perfect. Being you only use 1 washer out of the set, and you can get replacements for the ones you use for $2, it's pricey for 1 rifle, but pays for itself after a couple builds.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Just use the crush washer, tapered side toward receiver. If you "torque" it down and it's not timed correctly, break it loose and re-torque and it will be closer to being timed. May take a few times.

The proper technique for using a crush washer is to tighten, then loosen, and repeat until the device is properly timed to the barrel. But a peel washer may be best for this application if he believes there's no way to time it with a crush washer.

I've never had an issue using a crush washer, but I guess they make the peel washer for instances like this.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

You don't use that much pressure. You tighten the crush washer firmly, then back it off slightly. Then you tighten it again and loosen it. Repeat until it is aligned. The device will eventually go into place using this technique.

You DO NOT try to get the device to align in one shot. Way too much torque and heavens knows what could happen.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co

A crush washer should give you up to one full turn when you torque it down. Looks like you just need to put some elbow grease into the installation
    This... a crush washer is exactly as described, a 'crush' washer that will allow at least 3/4 of a turn after it contacts the muzzle device and the barrel shoulder. Torque it down as vgplayer said and do this til it times.

GET RID of the nylon washers, they have NO PLACE on a barrel and you don't need a locknut that is hidden behind a handguard, how the hell are you going to lock it down against the muzzle device?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I though crush washers were a bad idea on muzzle breaks/comps/qds and the recommendation is to use peel washers?
    They are if you intend to mount a suppressor, but this is a cookie cutter comp.. it ain't gettin no suppressor mounted to it... :lol2:

A long, small exit diameter comp or brake should really use no crush washer, so alignment isn't affected, but on a shorty like that, it should be no issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom