• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Need some advice, I'm not a gunsmith whatsoever, but like to tinker. I've had really good luck with guns (not breaking), or covered by warranty, or able to just turn it into an unit armor.

Last weekend, in the below freezing cold, went to the range and my P-01 would not shoot, I did the ol' tap-rack-click, a few times then realized my gun was really broken. If that were a life and death situation, I would have been dead.

My first thought was that the gun was just super dirty, and maybe some of the old original grease was gumming up in the cold. I did a field strip and cleaned it as best I could, still no luck.

I think I'm going to buy an ultrasonic cleaning machine (recommendations appreciated). But also found a video suggesting my problem is a damaged firing pin retaining pin. I don't want to damage the slide or make the situation worse.

I tried to remove the firing pin retaining pin, but it didn't look like it was going to budge, so I stopped. If anyone has any tips or advice on how to remove this pin let me know. I read some discussion about the issue, sounds like cz used a roll-pin which isn't so strong, and cz recommends using snap-caps when dry firing. Found a replacement pin for $6; but decided to contact cz before I replace it myself because it's still under the 5 year cz warranty. Let's see how they respond.

Found this better video about replacing the firing pin, but not specifically the firing pin retaining pin issue, that I believe I'm having:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If it's a roll pin, the Brownells roll pin punches are the bomb. The roll pin starter punches will also make installing a new roll pin in anything a lot easier than you can imagine... lol

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Brownells sells correct roll pin and spit pin punches. I remember buying them for Sig and CZ 75 pistols some years back.

If it's a roll pin, the Brownells roll pin punches are the bomb. The roll pin starter punches will also make installing a new roll pin in anything a lot easier than you can imagine... lol

Thank you both.

I was second guessing myself, thinking maybe it was blocked and I needed to remove the firing pin or something first, so the roll pin would drop out. Now I'm thinking I just didn't have the right punch, or I didn't keep at it long enough.

I'm fairly confident this firing pin rolling pin is damaged, and I just need to replace with a solid pin; but unsure until I'm able to inspect properly.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Thank you both.

I was second guessing myself, thinking maybe it was blocked and I needed to remove the firing pin or something first, so the roll pin would drop out. Now I'm thinking I just didn't have the right punch, or I didn't keep at it long enough.

I'm fairly confident this firing pin rolling pin is damaged, and I just need to replace with a solid pin; but unsure until I'm able to inspect properly.
    That sure looks like a pretty good sized roll pin and I'd be surprised if it's failing, but.. I have no experience with the CZ pistols, so I'm only speaking from experience working with roll pins. They are pretty tough, but can wear over time. If the roll pin is worn, I'd replace it with a GOOD quality replacement roll pin over a solid pin. My hunch is a solid pin will just lead to failure of another part that is interacting with it, but honestly, that is just a calculated assumption on my part.

A large roll pin can be a bugger to remove and install without the proper punches. Standard flat punches will flare out the end of the roll pin (which is actually tapered a bit to ease installation) when trying to remove, or even install a new one.

Roll pin installation punches have a little 'nub' on the end to engage the small hollow in the end of the roll pin and prevent the punch from moving off-center (as long as you are careful) when removing or finishing the install of the roll pin. Roll pin starter punches are actually punches with a hole drilled in the end that the roll pin fits into. Much of the pin will stick out, so you can line it up, tap it in and get it started (just be sure to not drive it in too far with a starter punch to where the punch can hit the surrounding area) enough to finish it off with a standard roll pin punch. Both punches are sized according to the particular roll pin diameter, so get a set of each to assist with ANY roll pin install. You will save many swear words for something better, trust me.... :lol2:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    That sure looks like a pretty good sized roll pin and I'd be surprised if it's failing, but.. I have no experience with the CZ pistols, so I'm only speaking from experience working with roll pins. They are pretty tough, but can wear over time. If the roll pin is worn, I'd replace it with a GOOD quality replacement roll pin over a solid pin. My hunch is a solid pin will just lead to failure of another part that is interacting with it, but honestly, that is just a calculated assumption on my part.

A large roll pin can be a bugger to remove and install without the proper punches. Standard flat punches will flare out the end of the roll pin (which is actually tapered a bit to ease installation) when trying to remove, or even install a new one.

Roll pin installation punches have a little 'nub' on the end to engage the small hollow in the end of the roll pin and prevent the punch from moving off-center (as long as you are careful) when removing or finishing the install of the roll pin. Roll pin starter punches are actually punches with a hole drilled in the end that the roll pin fits into. Much of the pin will stick out, so you can line it up, tap it in and get it started (just be sure to not drive it in too far with a starter punch to where the punch can hit the surrounding area) enough to finish it off with a standard roll pin punch. Both punches are sized according to the particular roll pin diameter, so get a set of each to assist with ANY roll pin install. You will save many swear words for something better, trust me.... :lol2:

Ah, more expert advice, thank you!

Now I realize I was probably lucky/smart to stop tapping at the pin, it will be a bugger to remove.

I think this video explains best what I think my issue is/will be:

[YT]L7qRQkG_PiQ[/YT]

By the way, I do dry fire a lot. Like hundreds or thousands of times a week for training. So I think this is my issue.

I think you are also right about replacing with a solid pin creating other problems, that was mentioned in another video; causing damage to the firing pin. I'm at a bit of a loss now what to do, just hope that CZ responds. I'm more than willing to revert to just using snap-caps only for dry-fire practice. I've just never found a centerfire gun that was so affected. Still very surprised.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I suspect that the roll pin is what stops the firing pin from overtravelling, in which case, dry-firing without a snap cap may lead to that wear that he is showing (literally chewed up the pin). Seems a little odd, as I have fired Glock pistols (and centerfire rifles) for thousands of dry-fire cycles with no issues, but, it seems logical. A solid pin will possibly result in damage to the firing pin, since the roll pin seems to have taken the brunt of the attack. My guess is that the firing pin is harder material than the roll pin, thus the wear on the roll pin he showed. I'd replace the roll pin with a factory pin and then use snap caps to ease the wear and tear when dry-firing the weapon.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Oh and for the record, I don't consider myself an expert by any means, I know there are those here that are more knowledgeable, but I have always been a DIY'r and have a lot of experience with different machinery, though lately my focus has been more on firearms.. ;)

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    UPDATE:

Just got word they are finished, and you all were right about the issue. So lesson to self - even though CZ's are center-fired, use snap-caps, and... always check to make sure the firing pin is activating.

Here's a super simple test:

From CZ:

Description: FP roll pin

Work Performed: replaced firing pin roll pin test fired good

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    UPDATE:

Just got word they are finished, and you all were right about the issue. So lesson to self - even though CZ's are center-fired, use snap-caps, and... always check to make sure the firing pin is activating.

Here's a super simple test:

From CZ:

Description: FP roll pin

Work Performed: replaced firing pin roll pin test fired good

MifflinKid

Dec 30, 2010
    Howard County
    Good to hear your problem has likely been solved. I have two suggestions for you, though,
    as an unrepentant dry firing addict.

1. As an alternative to a snap cap, go to a hardware store and get a few small O-rings to put
    in the back of the slide around the back of the firing pin, wedging it in the channel where the
    hammer falls. The O-ring will cushion the hammer's blow preventing the firing pin from
    moving forward enough to strike the firing pin retaining pin. I suggest getting a few as I keep
    misplacing mine on my work bench.

2. Consider getting a few firing pin retaining pins from Cajun Gun Works. They will last
    longer than the CZ OEM versions.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Good to hear your problem has likely been solved. I have two suggestions for you, though,
    as an unrepentant dry firing addict.

1. As an alternative to a snap cap, go to a hardware store and get a few small O-rings to put
    in the back of the slide around the back of the firing pin, wedging it in the channel where the
    hammer falls. The O-ring will cushion the hammer's blow preventing the firing pin from
    moving forward enough to strike the firing pin retaining pin. I suggest getting a few as I keep
    misplacing mine on my work bench.

2. Consider getting a few firing pin retaining pins from Cajun Gun Works. They will last
    longer than the CZ OEM versions.

Expert advice.

Greatly appreciate this suggestion, this is new to me, and you've got me thinking.

Thank you sir!

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    86DJAHK.jpg

vwJqcX8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha