• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    Haven't been to a gun show, sorting out the process first.
    My understanding that that for a regulated purchase (handgun), a background check must be performed by the seller, whether FFL or private sale. What about the 7 day waiting period? Does that apply at MD gun shows? If so, equally to FFL and private sales?

Eng

CCW UT
    Jan 11, 2017
    Scaggsville, Ocean City
    the check and wait applies to all FFL handgun sales period. check required for private sales HQL required for sales and transfers, not sure if wait applies to private sales. Others can give you chapter and verse.

Essentially the PDR of MD wants to track every handgun transaction---and it ain't give you a refund!

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Haven't been to a gun show, sorting out the process first.
    My understanding that that for a regulated purchase (handgun), a background check must be performed by the seller, whether FFL or private sale. What about the 7 day waiting period? Does that apply at MD gun shows? If so, equally to FFL and private sales?

There really is no such thing as "Private Sales" of handguns in Maryland.
    All handgun sales MUST be documented, you can have an FFL do it or you can go through the MSP in person at a Barrack. The 7+ day waiting period applies no matter how you do it, as well as all other laws.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    And, location is completely irrelevant. Same laws apply at a gun show, in the dealer's shop, or around your kitchen table. Any handgun transfer rquires 77r & 7 day wait, plus HQL for non- C&R handguns.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    And, location is completely irrelevant. Same laws apply at a gun show, in the dealer's shop, or around your kitchen table.

This is the important takeaway here. There are NO "special circumstances" or "loopholes," or anything different about buying a gun at a gun show. It is EXACTLY the same process as buying one anywhere else.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    There is also no "internet loophole."

Guns ordered over the internet have to be shipped to a Federally licensed dealer, and the actual transfer is handled just like any other dealer sale, with all the paperwork, forms, licenses, and waiting periods.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Private Sales of handguns in Md went away on Oct 1 , 1996 .

At a Show, you will find a greater selection than at a single , or handfull of dealers, but the purchase process is the same.

And find large assortments of gun supplies, accesories, paraphernalia, tasty beef jerky, knives of all price ranges. Spend the day with gun people, meet fellow MDS'ers, and visit the MSI booth at most Maryland, and some regional shows.

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    So if you buy a handgun at a gun show in MD, the seller would have to ship it to you in 7 days. Or you'd have to meet up some other way, right? So I'm guessing not that much handgun sales happening?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    He can't legally ship it to you. You would have to go to his shop a week later, or perhaps meet him at the next gunshow.

So I'm guessing not that much handgun sales happening?

Why not? This is just the standard drill for all handgun sales. Get fingerprinted. Attend training class. Apply for HQL. Wait. First background check for HQL. Shop for handgun at store or gunshow. Fill out multiple multi-page forms. Pay money. Second background check for actual gun. Wait 7 or more days. Return to store to pick up gun.

What could be simpler?

There is no getting around the 7 day wait. There are no loopholes.

(Of course, criminals can buy illegal guns the same way they buy illegal drugs.)

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    He can't legally ship it to you. You would have to go to his shop a week later, or perhaps meet him at the next gunshow.

Why not? This is just the standard drill for all handgun sales. Get fingerprinted. Attend training class. Apply for HQL. Wait. First background check for HQL. Shop for handgun at store or gunshow. Fill out multiple multi-page forms. Pay money. Second background check for actual gun. Wait 7 or more days. Return to store to pick up gun.

What could be simpler?

There is no getting around the 7 day wait. There are no loopholes.

(Of course, criminals can buy illegal guns the same way they buy illegal drugs.)[/QUOTE]

OH, the Undocumented Citizen goes to the Undocumented Firearm Dealer? That Loophole?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    So if you buy a handgun at a gun show in MD, the seller would have to ship it to you in 7 days. Or you'd have to meet up some other way, right? So I'm guessing not that much handgun sales happening?

As Threeband said, he can't ship a gun to you. That's illegal.

There are two ways you can buy a gun at a gun show (or anywhere else, the process is exactly the same):

1) From a dealer (FFL). You go to their table, buy the gun, and fill out the paperwork. They submit everything for you, and you wait seven days. Then you go to their shop, sign the final papers, and take home your gun.

2) From a private seller. You pay them money. Then you go to an FFL and pay them to handle the transfer for you. You fill out all the same paperwork as above, and after seven days, you get your gun. Or you can go to an MSP barrack and fill out the paperwork there, wait your seven days, etc.

In any case, ALL handgun sales in MD must go through either an FFL or the MSP, they all involve the same paperwork, and they all involve the seven day wait.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    my definition of a private sale does not involve an FFL. In other states, also known as Face to Face FTF.

If it involves an FFL, it's not private.

YMMV.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    my definition of a private sale does not involve an FFL. In other states, also known as Face to Face FTF.

If it involves an FFL, it's not private.

YMMV.

Then there is no such thing as a private sale for handguns. Not sure what you'd call it then since the only money the dealer is getting is a transfer fee and the privilege of storing a gun for 7 days.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    a transfer involving MSP does not involve an FFL, hence it can be considered private, at least as private as it can get in MD.

other states can do private sales involving only the buyer and seller.

i think we're splitting hairs here

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    CMP long guns are shipped direct in states where allowed which includes MD.

No offense meant, but this discussion is for handguns, not long guns. While your post is informative, may I ask what it adds to the relevance of the conversation?

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    From what the FFL dealers that I have dealt with told me, the actual transfer of a handgun/registered gun (like an AR lower) can only occur at their shop, not at a gun show after the 7 waiting (BS) period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom