• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    This has been on my wish list for awhile, so treated myself today with a late Xmas gift using my tax refund.

cx-4.jpg

Now off to the Gettysburg GS in search of some unmolested mags :sad20:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Your rifle is nice, although upside down.

We gotta do something about this lame foot rule too. :lol2:

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    i had one of these a few years ago and liked it. kinda wish i hadnt sold it. but my CZ Scorpion carbine makes up for it. ;) (also thanks to 2A Sales)

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    i had one of these a few years ago and liked it. kinda wish i hadnt sold it. but my CZ Scorpion carbine makes up for it. ;) (also thanks to 2A Sales)

Those bast*rds!!! I hate 2A Sales :lol2:
    It was a tough decision, I would have preferred a carbine that used Glock mags, but liked the CX-4 size, simplicity and I have a 92SF, so mags are plentiful. Maybe deep down, it's an embedded memory of the carbine from the original Planet of the Apes movies....:innocent0

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    You just need to turn it right side up, and then get this barrel shroud to make it look meaner. Believe it or not the shroud seems to dampen the sound by quite a few dBs.

http://www.moerse.com/beretta-cx-4-storm.html

I bought one a while ago. I currently have the trigger group and oprod-spring assembly out at SierraPapa to be upgraded.
    When I get it back I'll maybe use it for my trunk gun.

REF: Sierra Papa upgrades for CX4
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=120357

REF: SierraPapa:
    http://sierrapapacx4.com/

My CX4:

Just picked up some standard capacity mags today in Gettysburg, so no cash for upgrades now, but thanks for the food for thought guys. :thumbsup:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Those bast*rds!!! I hate 2A Sales :lol2:
    It was a tough decision, I would have preferred a carbine that used Glock mags, but liked the CX-4 size, simplicity and I have a 92SF, so mags are plentiful. Maybe deep down, it's an embedded memory of the carbine from the original Planet of the Apes movies....:innocent0

Congrats!

If you look carefully, you'll see a lot of Storms in scifi shows, some modded some stock. The Battlestar Galactica remake and Riddick come to mind off the top of my head. I know I've seen them in others.

I bought one shortly after they came out. It kinda made my Hi-point obsolete as soon as it came through the door:o

Just a heads up, mine does not like to function dirty.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Congrats!

I bought one shortly after they came out. It kinda made my Hi-point obsolete as soon as it came through the door:o

Just a heads up, mine does not like to function dirty.

Thanks for the info.

The Hi-Points are tempting from a price standpoint, you could have a 9mm and a 45 for the Beretta price. A lot of people like them, what part of the Beretta shines in comparison?

I did notice the beretta manual recommends cleaning after each use.

Is it finicky with ammo, can you run cheap steel cased stuff like Wolf?

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Thanks for the info.

The Hi-Points are tempting from a price standpoint, you could have a 9mm and a 45 for the Beretta price. A lot of people like them, what part of the Beretta shines in comparison?

I did notice the beretta manual recommends cleaning after each use.

Is it finicky with ammo, can you run cheap steel cased stuff like Wolf?

Have you seen or handled a Hi-Point? They are economical, functional, and American made...I respect them and do not want to sound like I'm bashing them at all...but comparing them to Beretta is kinda like comparing a Maverick 88 to a Benelli. I paid $150 for the Hi-Point and $800 for the Beretta...there is a seen and felt difference between a $150 rifle and an $800 rifle. Is that vague and respectful enough? :o Also, the Hi-Point is a single stack mag.

I've never tried Wolf or any steel cased ammo in mine. I had some trouble with Wolf's lacquered cases not fitting into some of my tighter chambered guns, so I got away from it. Also, unless something has changed, it's really dirty ammo. My Storm didn't seem to care about any of the ammo I used (mostly 115gr FMJ, a little 147 LRN reloads). I never tried hollow points or anything really fancy. It's been a while since I've shot it. I really can't remember exactly how it malfunctions when it's dirty. It started acting up at a match one time. I quickly stripped it, knocked off the big chunks, flooded it with CLP, and it was back in action. It was pretty filthy inside. In hindsight, I wish I had tried the CLP flood alone first, just to see if that would have been enough. Maybe next time.

When I bought it, I thought it would complement my Taurus PT92. The mags are ALMOST identical. The only difference I could find (other than cost) is that the mag catch (and therefore notch in the mag) on one is much wider than the other. If I remember correctly, the larger notched mag will fit, hold, and function with the smaller catch (but not vice versa...the catch can't engage the too small notch and the mag falls out). I think this means the Taurus mags work in the Beretta, not the other way. Like I said, it's been a while since I messed with it. To a "kid" who could barely afford the rifle, mag cost was important.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I got my op-rod & trigger group back from SierraPapa Saturday and had a fun shoot with it today at AGC. It functioned flawlessly from magazines of several different sizes with about 150 rounds through it with no issue.

The trigger now breaks cleanly and feels like a trigger should. It used to feel like sand crunching in gears with the trigger actually bending.

I feel a lot better about the op-rod & buffer as in it won't break. I went through the exact same purging of the plastic trash with a new 92FS.

Now that the CX4 is now de-junked I'm very happy with the CX4 but I'm so done with Beretta.

EDIT: better photos of the SierraPapa mods: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/05/joe-grine/gun-review-beretta-cx4-storm/

Oprods compared: toothpick, Beretta OEM :sad20:, SierraPapa:

Attachments

• Composite1.jpg
      Composite1.jpg
      22.4 KB · Views: 208

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I got my op-rod & trigger group back from SierraPapa Saturday and had a fun shoot with it today at AGC. It functioned flawlessly from magazines of several different sizes with about 150 rounds through it with no issue.

The trigger now breaks cleanly and feels like a trigger should. It used to feel like sand crunching in gears with the trigger actually bending.

I feel a lot better about the op-rod & buffer as in it won't break. I went through the exact same purging of the plastic trash with a new 92FS.

Now that the CX4 is now de-junked I'm very happy with the CX4 but I'm so done with Beretta.

EDIT: better photos of the SierraPapa mods: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/05/joe-grine/gun-review-beretta-cx4-storm/

Oprods compared: toothpick, Beretta OEM :sad20:, SierraPapa:

Excellent, thanks for following up on that. I definitely want to improve that stock trigger.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Excellent, thanks for following up on that. I definitely want to improve that stock trigger.

My goal here was to show how to make a good rifle absolutely great. Accuracy also improves with the trigger re-do. It is literally a night and day makeover.

I plan to use this rifle as part of our self-defense strategy so reliability was paramount. If ultimate reliability is not a concern then the rifle is fine as-is.

I bought the rifle for its excellent handling and ergonomics. It is the perfect home defense or trunk carbine, IMHO. I in no way meant to condemn it in case there was any doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom