• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    A what? you say... which was my first reaction too.

This finally arrived over the weekend; it puts checks in the blocks for weird, historic (sort of), Spanish pistol, and early semi-auto.
    It was just too cool to pass up...

The Spanish company of Charola y Anitua started making these in 1897 and received a patent for the semi-automatic, locked breech design in October 1898.
    Even though it looks like a shrunken-head version of the Mauser C96 it is actually different in design.
    It was originally chambered for the anemic 5mm round and between the low-powered round and the 6-shot magazine, the Spanish military wanted no part of it.
    The pistol was beefed up slightly and chambered in 7mm but still wasn't any competition for the C96 or Luger and it saw poor sales.
    Sr. Anitua apparently bailed early on as the "C y A" company lasted only a year or two before becoming just Charola.
    All told it seems like production only lasted a few years, from 1897 to the early 1900's (1903/5?).

The last variants of this pistol (like this one) didn't have any identifying marks other than the winged bullet logo
    (reminiscent of Webley and Scott) and the "Best Shooting Pistol" which is stamped across the top of the barrel.
    Probably wishful thinking... and interesting that this is in English, not Spanish.

According to the well-written Steven Fox article on these in "The Gun Collectors Digest, Vol 4" production is estimated at:
    ~ 3000 guns in 5mm (with 4 variations) S/N 1:3000
    ~ 2000 in 7mm (with 2 variations). S/N 10001:12000

This one is the later 7mm variation with fixed magazine, and it is not in the best of shape unfortunately (but didn't break the bank either, like a nice one would).
    A quick function check revealed some potential Bad Things, so I decided to disassemble it... needless to say there are no manuals on how to do so.
    I took a leap of faith and unscrewed the two large screws in the side of the receiver, which actually screw into two posts - just like the post-style binders.
    Lo and behold that unlocked the receiver from the grip frame assembly.

It slid right off to the sound of multiple parts falling to the floor.

Fortunately between studying it and consulting the patent diagram I figured out where those pieces parts go.
    Unfortunately, there's one flat spring that's broken (locking block/cam) and one that's missing (sear).
    An enterprising soul had inserted a standard coil spring jammed under the sear to get it to "work" resulting in trigger pull of about 30 pounds.
    The grip screw head is destroyed so I'll have to grind that out carefully.

I haven't figured out yet how to <properly> get the bolt separated from the barrel assembly and receiver though.

Anyway, here's some pics of an interesting and virtually forgotten turn-of-the-century pistol.
    Compared to a replica C96 for size reference - it's tiny.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      41.9 KB · Views: 504
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      41.8 KB · Views: 523
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      46.5 KB · Views: 614
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      56.5 KB · Views: 493
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      24.1 KB · Views: 506
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      43.7 KB · Views: 516
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      68.9 KB · Views: 538

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    That looks like someone started with a revolver frame and tried to figure out a way to make one of these newfangled semi-auto thingmabobs.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Love it when I get to go to school and learn something new. I'd heard about Charola pistols but in the seemingly vast universe of Spanish small arms manufacturers it was just a name and I had no idea what they built. They didn't just copy the Webley winged bullet logo but their designer William Whiting's love of flat and V springs. Certainly makes restoration more of a challenge. Curious to hear where you found this puppy as I'd imagine the survival rate is extremely low. Can only imagine what a complete and nice example would fetch!

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    A what? you say... which was my first reaction too.

This finally arrived over the weekend; it puts checks in the blocks for weird, historic (sort of), Spanish pistol, and early semi-auto.
    It was just too cool to pass up...

Yep ... very cool piece, and a nicely done write up on it! Thanks for the education. I'd have thought that "Charola" was something on the menu at Taco Hell.

Jul 1, 2012
    That looks like someone started with a revolver frame and tried to figure out a way to make one of these newfangled semi-auto thingmabobs.

My thoughts as well.
    Supposedly grips will interchange with a small S&W revolver but unconfirmed.

...They didn't just copy the Webley winged bullet logo but their designer William Whiting's love of flat and V springs. Certainly makes restoration more of a challenge. Curious to hear where you found this puppy as I'd imagine the survival rate is extremely low. Can only imagine what a complete and nice example would fetch!

... not sure what I'm going to do about the springs, probably try to adapt something thinner and springier for now.
    I have no clue what the correct pressure needs to be on the locking cam.

They pop up every now and then, usually in sad shape. Dr Antaris has a really nice one that's been up on GB for years at high $$. The 5mm are a little less valuable in general from what I can tell. Not a whole lot of data to go on though.

Since only the C y A pistols are marked with maker, some may be floating around out there as just an unkown old beat-up pistol.

Supposedly these were popular in turn-of-the-century revolutionary Mexico, and with the Bolsheviks. So I imagine many were lost or destroyed.

... I'd have thought that "Charola" was something on the menu at Taco Hell.

I keep hearing "My Charola!" in my head. I'm not well.

What was it Patton said about Mother of Pearl?
    I had to dig for that one... from the movie "Patton" ole George C Scott said,

"They're ivory. Only a pimp from a cheap New Orleans whorehouse would carry a pearl-handled pistol."

Whether he really said that or not is up for debate but he had a well-documented disdain for pearl handles :)

damn that was a good movie, haven't seen it in years... need to watch it again!

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    As others have said, thanks for the education:thumbsup: That has to be one of the oddest looking guns I've ever seen. It makes me think of some kind of sci-fi prop gun assembled from firearm-looking parts!

How does it feel in the hand?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I thin Han Solo had one of these strapped to his ankle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 1, 2012
    As others have said, thanks for the education:thumbsup: That has to be one of the oddest looking guns I've ever seen. It makes me think of some kind of sci-fi prop gun assembled from firearm-looking parts!

How does it feel in the hand?

goofy, small, unbalanced, and weird.
    basically, just like it looks :)

Attachments

• DSC_7122.jpg
      DSC_7122.jpg
      36.1 KB · Views: 393

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members