• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Just wanted to share this home made wet tumbler.

756575c833e584e19a64c1b7d7a8df23.jpg

ea16a3b16efb1266e8cbdc4b57e6b7a4.jpg

Parts list:
    3/4 Plywood Scraps
    5/16 Threaded Rod, washers and nuts $9
    5/16 Pillow Bearing Blocks $8
    XML Belts and Pulleys $33
    5gal Bucket w/twist off lid $15
    12v DC 15a power supply $13

For the motor we had a ninja style blender and the pitcher broke. The drive wheels were taken from a set of unused roller blades.

Total $78

I just need to attach a few baffles inside and I can test this thing out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Getting a bit concerned about the dust from my dry tumbler and might have to make something or buy one (a wet tumbler). I saw a guy that got pretty good results out of an ice cream maker machine, maybe I'll go full ghetto and do that :)

I have an ultrasonic but it doesn't get the primer pockets as clean as I see people get from SS wet tumbling. Mine also has an annoying 8 minute max timer.

This looks awesome!

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Tumbled about 350 cases for 1hr. I dont know how good they are supposed to look but they look good to me.

c972ddc90847a3bb56f53877c9b8b8da.jpg

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Mine always shine up like new or even better and I still shake my head in disbelief after every batch. But if you are happy with the results that's what matters the most. The bling certainly isn't needed.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Mine always shine up like new or even better and I still shake my head in disbelief after every batch. But if you are happy with the results that's what matters the most. The bling certainly isn't needed.

Maybe i need to add more citric acid and detergent along with some more time. I'm be doing another batch soon. I've got about 2000 cases saved up.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Maybe i need to add more citric acid and detergent along with some more time. I'm be doing another batch soon. I've got about 2000 cases saved up.

I use a tiny bit of straight citric acid also but I have used Dawn only a few times and don't see much of a difference. I have a feeling your brass and pins are mostly sliding on the bottom as your bucket turns. Every tumbler I have ever seen has a hex/oct shape which causes great agitation.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I've got some baffles in there but maybe I need more pins since the bucket is so large

5150898508394837f38fb83be450df4c.jpg

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I first wet tumbled. Then I wet tumbled with pins.
    I found the pins were only needed on stubborn brass that was outdoor range pick up.
    lemon shine, soap and water does a really good job by itself and less work to separate the pins from the brass.

I'm curious if anyone really feels the pins are that necessary or worth the extra hassle.

I mostly vibe with walnut though.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I've got some baffles in there but maybe I need more pins since the bucket is so large

I wonder if they are falling too far and getting beat up? How much water do you use in the bucket? Frankford wants the tumbler full but it's a much smaller diameter. Like Melnic mentioned, my not so dirty brass gets pretty shiny without pins.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I first wet tumbled. Then I wet tumbled with pins.
    I found the pins were only needed on stubborn brass that was outdoor range pick up.
    lemon shine, soap and water does a really good job by itself and less work to separate the pins from the brass.

I'm curious if anyone really feels the pins are that necessary or worth the extra hassle.

I mostly vibe with walnut though.

The jury is still out on that. I have so much tumbled brass that I haven't had to re-tumble any yet.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I wonder if they are falling too far and getting beat up? How much water do you use in the bucket? Frankford wants the tumbler full but it's a much smaller diameter. Like Melnic mentioned, my not so dirty brass gets pretty shiny without pins.

I'll try another batch with some soap and more water. I only had about 1-1/2 gal so it was not even close to full.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom