• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I'm going to be loading for an M1 Garand in 308. I know there are powder burn rate limitations for the Garand which I have been loading for in 30-06. I'm assuming those same limitations apply to 308 loads also. I've been using H4895 in my 30-06 loads and I have that on hand as well as BL-C2 and 4064.

What is a good source of load data for 308 "M1 Garand safe loads"?
    If you load for a Garand in 308 what are you using?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Hornady's 9th edition has a whole M1 section.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      63.2 KB · Views: 2,088

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    I duplicate the commercial Hornady ammo, direct from the mouth of Hornady:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.php?p=233799&postcount=9

46.5g varget with 168gr A-max

WHOAH!!!!!!!

OP was requesting data for a 308 Winchester M1.

46.5 gr. of Varget for a 168 may be OK in an original '06 Garand but it is WAY over the max for 308 Win.

OP - use a reloading manual. Any published loads for 308 Winchester using Garand suitable powders (H4895, IMR4895, IMR4064, Varget, etc.) will be fine.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Well I'm sure mine is for 30-06 too but I'll leave t up since it shows no data and it might get attention paid to it. I just jumped on the ole M1=30-06 deal since it was the original flavor and not some watered down ***** version.:innocent0
    Let the bickering begin after that bait sentence.:lol2:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Well I'm sure mine is for 30-06 too but I'll leave t up since it shows no data and it might get attention paid to it. I just jumped on the ole M1=30-06 deal since it was the original flavor and not some watered down ***** version.:innocent0
    Let the bickering begin after that bait sentence.:lol2:

Oh, you mean like the .308 being just like the venerable 30-06, only with training wheels?

I keed...I keed! :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The standard load for the M-1A is 41.5 grains of H4895 behind a Sierra Match King 168 grain. That should work fine in a .308 Garand also.

But you might want to go check out the CMP Forums. LOTS of Garand specific loading info there.

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    The standard load for the M-1A is 41.5 grains of H4895 behind a Sierra Match King 168 grain. That should work fine in a .308 Garand also.

But you might want to go check out the CMP Forums. LOTS of Garand specific loading info there.

Would that load (41.5 grs. H4895/Sierra Match King 168Gr.) be using commercial or military brass?

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015

I'd like to hear what some others use for their Garand. I don't want to push it on the pressure. After reading around on the CMP and other forums, I used 45.0g of 4895 with a 168g Hornady Match bullet. That is using military brass (HXP). The chrono had it at ~2500 fps. The surplus HXP ran ~2570. I'm all for saving some powder and wear on the gun.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    My M-1A likes 42.0 gr of TAC with 150 gr SST which I use for hunting load.
    on page 421 of Hornady's 9th edition reloading manual is data for the 308 service rifle. Their test rifle was a M1A and 11 different powders are listed.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I'd like to hear what some others use for their Garand. I don't want to push it on the pressure. After reading around on the CMP and other forums, I used 45.0g of 4895 with a 168g Hornady Match bullet. That is using military brass (HXP). The chrono had it at ~2500 fps. The surplus HXP ran ~2570. I'm all for saving some powder and wear on the gun.

That load is for the .30-06. It is way over pressure for a .308.

For the .308, 41.5 gr. 4895 with a 168 is a standard load.
    For the .30-06, I use 46 gr. 4895 with a 168.
    Both loads are with LC brass and both are capable of holding the spotting disc., if the rifle is good and the shooter is up to it.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

I don't have my books handy, but, that load is WAAAAAAAAAY too much in .308 for the Garand.

If you reduce that powder charge back down, where we've suggested, you'll keep that Garand intact a LOT longer.

Get at least TWO loading manuals and READ them.

It is not my intent to be, or sound nasty, but, you really can't just 'throw powder charges' and think you are going to be safe.

Many of us here, have been loading/reloading for decades.

I'm walking away from this thread, before YOU get hurt.

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    Sorry for the confusion. The above is for 30-06. I was going to use 47g, but I read to subtract 2g if using military brass. Does the braintrust agree with this?

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I read these posts with tongue in cheek. Have owned over 120 Garands and will never ever load for one. Wouldn't it just be cheaper, and SAFER, to just shoot a good grade military round in these old timers. The Lake City, Greek HXP and PPU stuff should suffice.

Lew-Ranger63
    US Army (Ret-'84)

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    I read these posts with tongue in cheek. Have owned over 120 Garands and will never ever load for one. Wouldn't it just be cheaper, and SAFER, to just shoot a good grade military round in these old timers. The Lake City, Greek HXP and PPU stuff should suffice.

Lew-Ranger63
    US Army (Ret-'84)
    I can understand where you're coming from. I like to reload because it gets me more involved in the overall shooting process and I enjoy that. It's a hobby. Similarly, I could save money by buying burger at Safeway, but I prefer to kill and eat venison. From a cost standpoint, HXP from CMP runs $.68 each. I can reload for about $.45. Of course there's equipment costs. As far as safety, you have to be smart about your reloading. But I'll take my reloads over old Greek surplus any day.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Shoot Greek HXP and save the brass until there isn't any more HXP then reload. For 68 cents you get a round including a never fired piece of brass. With the 45 cent reload you get a round and to add one more firing to the brass life countdown. How much is the reload if you buy new brass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom