• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Probably not until after Christmas.:sad20: How often are you guys down there(at the range)? I think Buff said most weekends?

Buff is correct. Most weekends some of us can find our way to the range early on Sunday morning. :thumbsup:

If I can get out of the house that day, can I hitch a ride up with you?

Go for it outrider...give DA a ride... :D

P.S. - After Christmas comes January and February. Plan on the weather being real cold about then!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Buff is correct. Most weekends some of us can find our way to the range early on Sunday morning. :thumbsup:

P.S. - After Christmas comes January and February. Plan on the weather being real cold about then!

We'll give you guys a heads-up when we get our act together. Maybe we can sneak up there during gun season(it gets mighty cold up there then too!).

:D

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

:lol:

I knew you were twisted. :D

I don't have to worry about the cold, I'll bring my DeWalt heated jacket. Maybe I can find some heated gloves... :lol2:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Good deal! And plan on it being cold from about Thanksgiving till Memorial Day... :innocent0

I have vacation the whole week before Memorial Day weekend! The Saturday before Memorial Day weekend, a friend and I do the annual Cabela's pilgrimage, to the store in PA. I might have a new rifle to bring out and break in, if we get up there after Cabela's. :D

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I don't know exactly how it happened. All I did was stop at Cabelas to browse. Next thing I knew I was filling out paperwork because this was the last "on sale" Savage they had chambered in 6.5CM. Much like a baby beagle that needs a new forever home...this poor little rifle was in need of a new place to live.

It will make its range debut at this Sunday's Hooligan shoot...

;)

I saw your post a few weeks ago and I was salivating as I read. I figured that a 6.5CM or .308 would be in my safe next spring. I already had a Leupold VX6 ready to go.

At the York show today I was looking at a beautiful custom limited edition Savage but at $1700 it was out of my league. As I was thanking the guy for letting me hold it he said he had a Savage Axis II over here ->

I himmed and hawed for about 30sec and then decided to give the little homeless Savage a new home.

51deb317545b46a822337f053f695cc6.jpg

03df3f461f3fb155b4067d2e0ef23886.jpg

Picked up 3 boxes of ammo on the way out too. I can't wait to try this out next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I saw your post a few weeks ago and I was salivating as I read. I figured that a 6.5CM or .308 would be in my safe next spring. I already had a Leupold VX6 ready to go.

At the York show today I was looking at a beautiful custom limited edition Savage but at $1700 it was out of my league. As I was thanking the guy for letting me hold it he said he had a Savage Axis II over here ->

I himmed and hawed for about 30sec and then decided to give the little homeless Savage a new home.

Picked up 3 boxes of ammo on the way out too. I can't wait to try this out next weekend.

Congrats! In either caliber you will have fun with that rifle! :thumbsup:

I still have less than 100 rds through my 6.5CM so it's not in sync with me and my reloads yet. That will come.

There is a lot of 50 yd POI variance among the different factory ammo I've been shooting. Groups are good, but the factory bullet weight and powder charge has moved my shots several inches off my scope's zero. The good news is my reloads have been consistent. :thumbsup:

6.5CM has become my new fun cartridge. Today I fired a box of factory rounds simply to get empty cases to reload. Buying new cases and loading them is more expensive than buying factory ammo, shooting it and reloading the nice fire-formed cases. At least you get one shot from the factory rounds.

Good luck on your Axis II! Pics and range reports are always welcomed!

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Good luck on your Axis II! Pics and range reports are always welcomed!

Like you I went with a 6.5CM.

Finally got a chance to get out to the range today. After getting the scope zeroed I did notice some unusual variation in accuracy. I don't think it is the rifle but more likely the ammo. I would have two out of three shots at <1 MOA then a runner +1 out.

I wanted to keep shooting but at $1.35/round my ass puckers with every trigger pull. There is an upside, I saved all my brass and plan on reloading these next year.

I did like feel shooting offhand standing fit my style very nicely. I do need to get some lower scope rings or a cheek riser but other that aiming feels smooth. Even though the rifle is more front heavy than my AR it seemed easier to hold target. The Accutrigger seemed a little soft but I'll play with that adjustment later. The recoil is also very soft but i'm guessing that has more to do with the thick silicone pad on the stock than anything else.

Here are my last 6 rounds offhand standing using my VX-6 scope at 10x.

3a26732bf67c4d796405b8ba9664a5ba.jpg

Very satisfied so far.

So i do have a question. Are there any aftermarket upgrades you have been looking at?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Setup today at 200yds prone shooting on sand bags.

Shots 1-2 were to sight in
    Shots 3-4 after elevation adjustment.

I should have stoped there but I had a brain lapse and over corrected for windage thinking 4clicks=1 minute. However 5-6 are still less than 1 minute apart.

I'm guessing reloading could be quite rewarding. since I was just shooting factory ammo.
    a0fda17c2072e24cd30aacc519f42441.jpg

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    ToolAA, it looks like you're making progress. :thumbsup:

I wanted to keep shooting but at $1.35/round my ass puckers with every trigger pull. There is an upside, I saved all my brass and plan on reloading these next year.

Reloading is your friend. So far I've found it's cheaper to buy factory ammo and shoot it vs. buying virgin cases and loading them the first time. Once I have the fire-formed cases for my rifle - I can start experimenting.

No targets from today, but groups with my neck-sized reloads are getting much tighter than factory ammo.

Here's a "drool" op:

As we Hooligans were leaving this morning a guy was setting his 6.5 CM rig to test some loads for long range shooting. I'm not sure what it is - a Ruger I think. But I know for sure it's a major step up from a Savage Axis II!

:drool::drool::drool:

Attachments

• DSC06461 SNIP.jpg
      DSC06461 SNIP.jpg
      69.9 KB · Views: 289

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Here's a "drool" op:

As we Hooligans were leaving this morning a guy was setting his 6.5 CM rig to test some loads for long range shooting. I'm not sure what it is - a Ruger I think. But I know for sure it's a major step up from a Savage Axis II!

:drool::drool::drool:

So I stumbled across this company

https://mdttac.com/

They make a modular aftermarket stock system for the axis.

This model is about $400 allows you to use a standard AR stock and also 10 round mags.
    c11f327e103f8ec7351ba6e5795f6896.jpg

Here is their top of the line floating stock it's pretty bad ass looking but will set you back $750

12592bf0ef16bedf7bc24eb048ea7677.jpg

Just get your barrel threaded and you basically end up with a Ruger Precision Rifle.

My whole purpose for this purchase was to have a decent bolt action hunting rifle, but those stocks do make me drool a bit.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    what is the process of "breaking in the barrel?" this is a serious question. thank you.

Thanks all.

The cell phone pic was in my hotel room last night. Couldn't edit it on my IPad. Here's a better pic with some of the additional loot and the obligatory foot. ;)

This is a rifle/scope combo with a Weaver 3-9X40 scope. The rifles are on sale for $399 with a $30 rebate from Savage. Not top of the line, but if it shoots like my other Savage rifles it will be a lot of fun. Besides, I now have one more caliber to reload...as if I needed that part.

It's time for a range day so I can break in the barrel.

:gun2:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    what is the process of "breaking in the barrel?" this is a serious question. thank you.

Here's the process Savage posts on their website: https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/proceduresbarrelbreakin/
    I tried that once. It got very old very fast! ;)

I've abbreviated the process and clean the barrel after each of the first few shots and then after 3 shot groups a few times. By then I'd rather be shooting rather than cleaning barrels. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom