• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alteredz

Jul 5, 2016
    Ellicott City, MD, USA
    I'm building a 5.56 AR-15.

I'm having trouble finding the barrel that I'd like. Maybe no manufacturers make it:

Required: Heavy Profile (HBAR) (ugh, MD law)

Desired: (later option on each line is the preferred one)
    Length: 16"
    chamber/bore: 5.56 or Wylde .223
    Mid-length gas system
    Material: 4150 or 4140 steel
    chrome-lined or melanized
    M4 feed ramps
    Rifling: 1:7 twist ratio

I've been on at least a dozen manufacturer or vendor websites and can never meet these criteria with one barrel.

Maybe it just isn't produced.

BTW, Brownell's lists HBAR and Heavy contours in their selection menu for barrels. I imagine I need one that is sold as (and marked) HBAR. Or will Heavy suffice?

Thanks in advance, Pete

ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014
    Blackhole weaponry. They will even flute it, so you can save some weight. It doesnt have to say HBAR on it. I think their standard profile barrel meets HBAR specs.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Is the "HBAR" marking mandatory for MD?

No. But, if not present, the manufacturer must advertise it as HBAR or heavy barrel. Descriptions like "standard", "medium", and "government" are a no-go in lieu of the HBAR stamp. Bull barrels are generally acceptable as well.

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    Thanks for the leads!

Several have mentioned barrels that are heavy or S2W profile but aren't marked "HBAR".

Is the "HBAR" marking mandatory for MD?

I just printed a pdf of the page on dd and where I bought it from and have it saved on my email and Dropbox

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    No. But, if not present, the manufacturer must advertise it as HBAR or heavy barrel. Descriptions like "standard", "medium", and "government" are a no-go in lieu of the HBAR stamp. Bull barrels are generally acceptable as well.

I call BS. If two barrels have the same profile, then they are either both HBAR or neither HBAR.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There you go being logical, in a non-logical jurisdiction . Yes it's BS, but its intended to be BS on purpose.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I call BS. If two barrels have the same profile, then they are either both HBAR or neither HBAR.

It's not BS. As an example the Colt LE6920 SOCOM is MD legal because Colt advertises it as such on their website.

The BCM SOCOM carbine is not MD legal as it is listed as a SOCOM profile, not an HBAR on their website.

Stupid? Yes but that's per MSP guidance.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    WOA barrels. Talk to Engage Armament in Rockville and see if they have any

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    It's not BS. As an example the Colt LE6920 SOCOM is MD legal because Colt advertises it as such on their website.

The BCM SOCOM carbine is not MD legal as it is listed as a SOCOM profile, not an HBAR on their website.

Stupid? Yes but that's per MSP guidance.

MSP has been wrong about plenty of things. They don't make the laws.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    MSP has been wrong about plenty of things. They don't make the laws.

Agreed but I'm far too pretty to be in jail over something as trivial as who stamped their logo on a barrel.

Do you have any idea what they'd do to someone as pretty as me in jail? I'd be passed around like a dollar bill at a vending machine convention.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Agreed but I'm far too pretty to be in jail over something as trivial as who stamped their logo on a barrel.

Do you have any idea what they'd do to someone as pretty as me in jail? I'd be passed around like a dollar bill at a vending machine convention.

True, but I personally would rather have a heavy barrel profile barrel that was unmarked and unadvertised than a barrel that was marked or advertised but clearly isn't (like a grenade launcher cut out). Everyone has to make their own decisions though.

Steyr40

Mar 3, 2012
    AA County
    During my build I chose to go with a barrel that was marked HBAR, just because I don't feel like having my time wasted, and my gun handled by who knows how many people until they figure out that it's legal. (Because all police officers know/understand the laws they enforce, right?) But, if you do go with an unmarked HBAR, why couldn't you just have it engraved onto the barrel?

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Get a White Oak barrel from Engage and be done with it. Mine is marked HBAR in three separate locations.

Someone else mentioned Kreiger Criterion barrels; I have one... very accurate button cut barrel!

alteredz

Jul 5, 2016
    Ellicott City, MD, USA
    During my build I chose to go with a barrel that was marked HBAR, just because I don't feel like having my time wasted, and my gun handled by who knows how many people until they figure out that it's legal. (Because all police officers know/understand the laws they enforce, right?) But, if you do go with an unmarked HBAR, why couldn't you just have it engraved onto the barrel?
    This is my thinking too. I don't want any trouble when I take it to a range and someone in authority wants to quibble. I want it engraved with whatever is legal in MD. Sounds like that means it needs to have HBAR engraved on it by the manufacturer. I just don't like trouble like that. As someone else said, I don't want to waste my time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom