• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Took a gamble and won miraculously on Gunbroker last week. I've been looking for a M1889 Belgian Mauser to go with my WWI collection. Any Mauser collector can tell you most Belgian used Mauser's are a rare sight to see, especially the M1889 Long Rifle as most were refurbed into M1889/35 short rifles or destroyed. I found this auction on Gunbroker and once I noticed a few small details about it I knew I had to have it. I wasn't very optimistic I would win, and I was surprised the bidding didn't skyrocket at the end. I suspect it was due to the perceived condition or they just missed what it really was. I sniped in a couple bids at the end and got it for $551 plus shipping.

I never thought I'd ever get a chance to find one of these, let alone afford one, but it was always a dream of mine to own a Belgian M1889 Mauser that was captured and reworked by the Germans. Those familiar with Mosin-Nagant might recognize the "Deutches Reich" stamping usually found on M1891 rifles captured by the Germans. The Germans stamped it on arms captured from several different countries during WWI, but finding anything except a Mosin-Nagant with one is a rare find indeed. The Germans captured many Belgian M1889's early in the war and issued them to mostly rear-echelon troops. Most captured were kept in their original 7.65x53mm caliber, but a few have turned up that the Germans actually rebored to their standard 7.92x57mm. A notch was cut into the receiver in order for the longer rounds to fit. This rifle was one of the few to have been re-chambered! The Germans also re-matched the bolt to the receiver, and added proof marks to show it was fit for German service. It's certainly worn, but it looks to have seen some serious use during its time. I really wish this thing could talk, I can't imagine what it would say.

I spent the afternoon cleaning the grime off, and it looks a lot better than the auction pictures and description. It's great to see that a piece of history as cool as this survived without being destroyed by combat, de-militarization, or plain old bubba after so long. I apologize for the long post, but I'm just so happy I can hold a piece of history like this in my hands...now if I could find a cleaning rod and front sight I'll be set.

Attachments

• IMG_2275.jpg
      IMG_2275.jpg
      126.8 KB · Views: 766
    • IMG_2281.jpg
      IMG_2281.jpg
      99.7 KB · Views: 773
    • IMG_2290.jpg
      IMG_2290.jpg
      102.1 KB · Views: 784
    • IMG_2305.jpg
      IMG_2305.jpg
      90.4 KB · Views: 802
    • IMG_2349.jpg
      IMG_2349.jpg
      125.4 KB · Views: 750
    • IMG_2361.jpg
      IMG_2361.jpg
      86.6 KB · Views: 748
    • IMG_2365_2.jpg
      IMG_2365_2.jpg
      95.1 KB · Views: 790
    • IMG_2442.jpg
      IMG_2442.jpg
      97.4 KB · Views: 732
    • IMG_2479.jpg
      IMG_2479.jpg
      61.5 KB · Views: 746

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    No, never apologize for your great stories! I always enjoy them, plus the nice pictures that show in detail what you are describing.

I can see it is addicting going on the prowl and competing.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Definitely looks nicer than the GB listing. Good job getting it for such a good price (knowledge is King). Being out of the Mauser market for such a long time I was surprised at what these can sell for. Certainly seem to be as uncommon as capture Mosins. I've seen the odd Hopkins & Allen built Belgian 1889 rifle but never an FN built example. More likely to see them modified to carbines as you mentioned. Just have to wonder how she found her way here to the US.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks guys! Another interesting tid-bit about the M1889 is that the FN factory was made in order to produce the rifle after the Belgians adopted the Mauser design.

Definitely looks nicer than the GB listing. Good job getting it for such a good price (knowledge is King). Being out of the Mauser market for such a long time I was surprised at what these can sell for. Certainly seem to be as uncommon as capture Mosins. I've seen the odd Hopkins & Allen built Belgian 1889 rifle but never an FN built example. More likely to see them modified to carbines as you mentioned. Just have to wonder how she found her way here to the US.

A Hopkins and Allen M1889 is on my definite want list, as well as a Birmingham (as in Birmingham, England) made M1889. After the Belgians were overrun in August 1914, they contracted the two companies to make M1889 rifles and carbines to supply the Belgian forces fighting in the tiny space of Belgium that the Germans didn't take over since the FN factory and Leige were taken over.

I'd wish I could know how it got over here too. It's not duffle cut, but the rear band appears to be some kind of non-correct replacement. The previous owner tried to glue some kind of brass shim to hold the barrel band tighter. I can't find out what kind of band it is, but I suspect American since it has a U stamped on it. Anybody know what it goes to?

For reference, here's two older auctions of German captured M1889's. The only other two I've seen listed for sale. The first is in better shape than mine, but you can see the Germans renumbered almost every part.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/8802265

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/7666972

Attachments

• IMG_2413.jpg
      IMG_2413.jpg
      72 KB · Views: 612

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Congrats on your Grail rifle and thank you for the history lesson

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    A kind member of Gunboards from Belgium gave me some very interesting information about what I had originally thought was a German applied marking.

The "AP 236" on the receiver is actually a unit marking for the Belgian "Garde Civique". It was a paramilitary organization that was similar to a militia or National Guard to some extent. Not very many units were armed with M1889's by the time WWI started. Most had still been armed with Blackpowder cartridge Comblain rifles. "AP" is apparently the code for the city of Roeselare in the region of Flanders. I'm currently trying to find some information about the G-C's actions there during the war, but I suspect it fell into German hands early on, as Roeselare was the site of a large German encampment during much of the war.

http://www.abl1914.be/organisatie/markering.htm

Attachments

• IMG_2469.jpg
      IMG_2469.jpg
      72.6 KB · Views: 290

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    The nice Belgian man was kind enough to give me a history of the Garde Civique in Roeselare during WWI....

"The Garde Civique from Roeselare (Roulers in French, and also called Rousselare by the Germans) got their 89 rifles somewhere in 1907 as a replacement of the 1882 Comblain rifles.
    Belgium got invaded on August 4th,1914. Throughout the invasion , Garde Civique elements of the different Belgian towns assisted the Belgian army in a secondary role. Immediately the Germans considered the armed Garde Civique elements as civilian irregulars and that caused severe reprisals for the population. Due to the fear for reprisals, the town council of Roeselare, on August 21th, ordered the Garde Civique to hand in their firearms. From the “town arsenal” these weapons were shipped to the city of Bruges where they remained till the occupation of the city later on. From there the rifles were shipped to Germany.The town of Roeselare itself was invaded a first time shortly on august 24th,1914, by recce elements of the 11th Uhlans on their way to Dunkirk on their search for info about Belgian, French and British presence in that region.
    On October13th, 1914, Roeselare got “visited” by 30.000 British BEF-troops that left again the next day.
    On October15th, cyclists of the Res. Cav. Abt. 46, ahead of their following, newly formed 46th Res. Div..
    This was the beginning of a long German occupation by the Germans who installed a military administration in the town.
    The train station of Roeselare was important for the Germans during the rest of WW1 for troop movements to their important front sectors of Ypres till Diksmuide, and also lots of German instances were installed in the town: divisional and corps headquarters, workshops of all kinds, rest and recreation facilities for frontline troops... .
    From 1915 onwards, the town got bombed by British planes and shelled by long range 38 cm British artillery. In December 1917 all remaining civilians had to leave the city. They only started to come back to the city the day after the armistice.
    In June 1919, US-president Wilson, visited the city on the way back from his Ypres visit."

Really freakin' cool!!!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Awesome thread. So nice of the Gentleman from Belgium to share the local history in such detail. This is what I love about collecting.

Chrisftk

Aug 26, 2012
    I'd say you did really well! That is a really tough rifle to find.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom