• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Always on the lookout for something to do to kill the six hours waiting while the pups get groomed up in Gettysburg, I usually do a movie, antique hunting or hit a local auction. Yesterday it was a huge antique auction in nearby Carlisle that had two Arisaka T38s, a T99 Substitute and a M93 Lebel rifle.
    -The T99 Sub was matching with a struck mum and in good, original condition. But I have more of these than I need so I passed and it sold for a stupid cheap $60! Both of the T38s, a rifle missing a bolt and a carbine with DC, were of no interest to me as they had cancelled mums and the "00" SN prefix designating them as having been retired for training use only. The carbine sold for $180 and I left before the rifle sold, doubt it fetched much.
    -What I really wanted was that Tulle M93 Lebel. All good stuff and then some! Condition was very good and there were no signs of an arsenal rebuild of any type as the barrel and stock were both 1904 dated and there was no Balle N mark. What floored me was a total lack of serial numbers and an odd property mark and number stamped onto the stock near the crisp factory cartouche.
    -That was more then enough to get me fired up and I was determined to take it home. Got it for $525 OTD, an excellent price for a run-of-the-mill M93 in this condition. Got it home and noticed a small "SE" mark on the barrel that I had missed at the auction. That really got my attention as I've only seen that mark once before: on my prototype M27 carbine. Pulled the forestock to check out the barrel marks and sure enough, SE marks denoting Service d'Etudes. I'm thinking this just might be a factory pattern example as SE marks denote special examples like prototypes and patterns.
    -Posted up on GB for Patrick and the real French experts to see what they think it might be. Crossing my fingers that I just might have found another unicorn.
    -The day just kept getting better when I stopped by the Gettysburg public library to browse and kill some more time. On display next to the entrance was a like new copy of "The American Foreign Legion - Black Soldiers of the 93d in World War I", marked at $5. It's the history of the 93rd Division who fought under French command at the time when the US Army was still segregated. Should be a fantastic read from what little I already know about the 93rd and their sterling combat record.

Attachments

• IMGP7915.JPG
      IMGP7915.JPG
      21.9 KB · Views: 269
    • IMGP7919.JPG
      IMGP7919.JPG
      26.7 KB · Views: 355
    • IMGP7916.JPG
      IMGP7916.JPG
      35.6 KB · Views: 278
    • IMGP7917.JPG
      IMGP7917.JPG
      67.5 KB · Views: 286
    • IMGP7918.JPG
      IMGP7918.JPG
      54.3 KB · Views: 282
    • IMGP7923.JPG
      IMGP7923.JPG
      35.1 KB · Views: 287
    • IMGP7924.JPG
      IMGP7924.JPG
      32.8 KB · Views: 350
    • IMGP7925.JPG
      IMGP7925.JPG
      33.5 KB · Views: 352
    • IMGP7920.JPG
      IMGP7920.JPG
      67.4 KB · Views: 275
    • IMGP7926.JPG
      IMGP7926.JPG
      37.7 KB · Views: 275

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Mystery solved! Patrick tells me its a U.S.T.F., Union des Sociétés Française de Tir, rifle. They're the French version of the CMP. I've seen .22 copies of Lebel rifles for civilian training and competition but never a M93 Lebel. Explains why it doesn't have military SNs as it was never entered into military service. This one's a keeper for sure!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Found this photo of a member of La Fédération Française de Tir taken at a WWI commemoration shoot. Love the calendar, gotta see if it's been reproduced, would love to have one.

Attachments

• w2p2222286.jpg
      w2p2222286.jpg
      79.6 KB · Views: 248

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Very interesting.

But how did an unissued prototype/"study" rifle get diverted to the USTF? Was that normal?

Did the USTF normally distribute older surplus rifles, like our DCM/CMP?

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Very interesting.

But how did an unissued prototype/"study" rifle get diverted to the USTF? Was that normal?

Did the USTF normally distribute older surplus rifles, like our DCM/CMP?

Looks like it was sold directly to the USTF or a USTF member in 1904. That explains why there are no French military inspector marks or serial numbers. So it isn't a prototype or pattern but either a low production run specifically for the USTF or a rifle pulled from production and re-tasked for civilian use. I have a nice old Long Lee Enfield that was built by BSA on the same production line as their military contract but it doesn't have the Royal Cypher on the butt socket, just the manuf. name. Very similar to this Lebel.
    Used for civilian target shooting too.

Helpinghand

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 3, 2016
    MA
    French Lebel

Looks like it was sold directly to the USTF or a USTF member in 1904. That explains why there are no French military inspector marks or serial numbers. So it isn't a prototype or pattern but either a low production run specifically for the USTF or a rifle pulled from production and re-tasked for civilian use. I have a nice old Long Lee Enfield that was built by BSA on the same production line as their military contract but it doesn't have the Royal Cypher on the butt socket, just the manuf. name. Very similar to this Lebel.
    Used for civilian target shooting too.

Good job,
    thank you for sharing, and all the information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom