• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I was warned about Remington quality....

Check out my rail mounting holes on my brand new varmint barreled ADL. I'm going to call Remington for sure...would you guys trust a retap on this receiver? I plan to shoot this long range.

On a related note, does Nightforce expect you to drill and tab for larger screws with their rails? I just got one,and the screws are wider than the holes tapped (sideways) on the gun.

Attachments

• 20150529_141359.jpg
      20150529_141359.jpg
      68.7 KB · Views: 362

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    A common thing to do in higher precision guns is to drill and tap for larger screws, and also lap and bed the bases or rail.

That said, that rifle should never have left the factory like that. Just curious, where did you buy it?

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Bought it at Cabela's, and I agree...never should have left the factory. It is very obvious when putting in the tiny screws that the holes are off.

I'm worried that they started the holes too far to one side, which will make drilling and tapping on the centerline very difficult.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Remington says they want to evaluate the gun, which means shipping it back most likely.

A common thing to do in higher precision guns is to drill and tap for larger screws, and also lap and bed the bases or rail.
    By the way, thanks for this info. I am brand new to bolt guns/precision shooting. This is my first non C&R bolt gun. I'm trying to learn as much as I can while setting it up.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Remington will likely ask you to ship it back, they should cover the shipping though.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Update to this, in case anyone cares.

Remington had me ship the gun (they paid) to their preferred gunsmith in KY. I sent a screw from the Nighforce rail for them to use as a guide. I figured they'd need to drill out and re-tap the holes (if they were in line) anyways, so might as well do it to the spec I needed. I got a call from them a week or so later...conversation went like this:

Them: "These holes are right on the centerline...don't know why we're looking at this gun"
    Me: "Because they are drilled at an angle"
    T: "Let me check"....comes back 5 minutes later "Oh yeah, just a slight bit off"
    I'm thinking that it's more than a 'slight bit', but whatever.
    M: "So they're in line...that's good. What can we do about the hole angle?"
    T: "We'll drill and re-tap"
    M: "I sent a screw for you to match the threads to"
    T: "We'll do it to factory spec, otherwise you'll be paying for the work, and freight, both ways"
    M: "That makes no sense...it will be more work for you to put it to factory spec since you'll have to add metal back in, and re-blue the barrel"
    T: "No, we'll just drill and re-tap"
    M: "You can't do that to an off-center hole, especially with fine threads. There will be two sets of threads, and neither one will hold. You'd have to put metal back in"
    T: "I mean, yeah, we'll put metal back in"

I could tell he was appeasing me. I've tapped my fair share of holes in my time (giggity), and I know you can't just re-do it at the same size. You either A) drill and tap for a bigger screw (easiest), B) Fill the hole, drill and tap, or C) tap wider and heli-coil for original size.

So he asked what I wanted to do...I said go with factory spec under warranty. I sent Remington an email telling them about the situation, and how I thought I'd be doing them a favor (saving labor costs) by letting them go bigger, and never got a response.

I got the gun back today, and they drilled for the Nightforce screws :). I guess either Remington gave Paducah the OK to go with the larger holes, or the gunsmith realized it'd be more work his way, and went with mine.

Now I just gotta see how it shoots.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Update to this, in case anyone cares.

Remington had me ship the gun (they paid) to their preferred gunsmith in KY. I sent a screw from the Nighforce rail for them to use as a guide. I figured they'd need to drill out and re-tap the holes (if they were in line) anyways, so might as well do it to the spec I needed. I got a call from them a week or so later...conversation went like this:

Them: "These holes are right on the centerline...don't know why we're looking at this gun"
    Me: "Because they are drilled at an angle"
    T: "Let me check"....comes back 5 minutes later "Oh yeah, just a slight bit off"
    I'm thinking that it's more than a 'slight bit', but whatever.
    M: "So they're in line...that's good. What can we do about the hole angle?"
    T: "We'll drill and re-tap"
    M: "I sent a screw for you to match the threads to"
    T: "We'll do it to factory spec, otherwise you'll be paying for the work, and freight, both ways"
    M: "That makes no sense...it will be more work for you to put it to factory spec since you'll have to add metal back in, and re-blue the barrel"
    T: "No, we'll just drill and re-tap"
    M: "You can't do that to an off-center hole, especially with fine threads. There will be two sets of threads, and neither one will hold. You'd have to put metal back in"
    T: "I mean, yeah, we'll put metal back in"

I could tell he was appeasing me. I've tapped my fair share of holes in my time (giggity), and I know you can't just re-do it at the same size. You either A) drill and tap for a bigger screw (easiest), B) Fill the hole, drill and tap, or C) tap wider and heli-coil for original size.

So he asked what I wanted to do...I said go with factory spec under warranty. I sent Remington an email telling them about the situation, and how I thought I'd be doing them a favor (saving labor costs) by letting them go bigger, and never got a response.

I got the gun back today, and they drilled for the Nightforce screws :). I guess either Remington gave Paducah the OK to go with the larger holes, or the gunsmith realized it'd be more work his way, and went with mine.

Now I just gotta see how it shoots.

Sounds like they had an easy-out (pun intended) with your requested screw size and went for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom