• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Local24MD

Apr 1, 2015
    Perry Hall
    I have a Romanian Tok 7.62 and I was considering getting a compensator. Was interested how they were and where you got it from. I'm not sure if there is a real difference in ttc and tt33 toks. I think the same compensator would work on both but I don't know. Any advice would be great, thanks.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Speaking for the majority in here, we in the C&R forum do not condone that. Just sayin...

If you insist on doing it, please keep the original parts. Ttc and tt-33 same thing

Local24MD

Apr 1, 2015
    Perry Hall
    Speaking for the majority in here, we in the C&R forum do not condone that. Just sayin...

If you insist on doing it, please keep the original parts. Ttc and tt-33 same thing

Not sure if getting one yet, looking for input from people. Thought it could be a fun addition to it. I would never get rid of original parts

Jul 1, 2012
    I'm about as hard-core C$R as it gets :) and put one on a TTC.
    No real difference IMHO except flame goes up instead of forward.
    It's a simple replacement with no mods to the gun, just replaces the stock barrel bushing.
    I did have to spend an hour or so with a file and emory board (on the compensator!) to get it to fit right.

There's a guy on eBay that sells them, along with replacement firing pins and cross-pins (worth getting a spare or two) ID = crasher455

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Not trying to be a PIA C&R type (even though I am), but the question would be, "Why?" You'll spend money on it, and it's not going to achieve anything.

So ... then it comes down to whether or not you just want it to look "kewl", and that's where you'll bump heads with most of the people here. We think that C&R firearms are as kewl as can be in their original configuration.

P.S. - The Rom Tok is my wife's favorite handgun, and she likes having the flames blast out of the front of it.

Local24MD

Apr 1, 2015
    Perry Hall
    Well the good thing is that my curio firearms are mine so I can modify if i want it to look cool. You guys who don't want to modify your weapons, don't. I'm asking about the compensator not whether or not people agree with that. Plus it's not going to ruin the gun, not like I'm really changing anything big to it. Sorry to seem shitty because I'm assuming that's how I'm gonna come off.

Jul 1, 2012
    The TTC I put this on is refurb'd, horrible import mark, and of course has the added safety.
    It needed a new firing pin and some other small parts.
    C&R / collector value = 0.0

Time to revert to original config < 1 min.

Would I put it on the 1940 TT-33 with matched mag? of course not :)
    But then again, I don't shoot the valuable stuff.

Attachments

• DSCN6494.JPG
      DSCN6494.JPG
      153.9 KB · Views: 5,135
    • DSCN6498.jpg
      DSCN6498.jpg
      69.3 KB · Views: 2,196

Local24MD

Apr 1, 2015
    Perry Hall
    I'm about as hard-core C$R as it gets :) and put one on a TTC.
    No real difference IMHO except flame goes up instead of forward.
    It's a simple replacement with no mods to the gun, just replaces the stock barrel bushing.
    I did have to spend an hour or so with a file and emory board (on the compensator!) to get it to fit right.

There's a guy on eBay that sells them, along with replacement firing pins and cross-pins (worth getting a spare or two) ID = crasher455

Thank you, I will have to look. Did you replace a lot of the internals when you got it? I have seen posts about people replacing the firing pin as well as the spring.

Jul 1, 2012
    I had to replace the firing pin retaining cross-pin (it had a nail, no fooling), broken firing pin, and replaced all the springs while I was at it (Wolff complete kit). There was something in the hammer assembly that was wonky too but don't remember what. That hammer pack is relatively easy to get apart, but not as easy to get back together!

Local24MD

Apr 1, 2015
    Perry Hall
    Well you posted the pics and info to my last question right as I was typing so no need to answer that now but yeah, if my Tok was perfect it would sit in a case but its not, it's just a fun little shooter for changing things up a bit.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Well the good thing is that my curio firearms are mine so I can modify if i want it to look cool. You guys who don't want to modify your weapons, don't. I'm asking about the compensator not whether or not people agree with that. Plus it's not going to ruin the gun, not like I'm really changing anything big to it. Sorry to seem shitty because I'm assuming that's how I'm gonna come off.

Yep. Your gun, and your right. Nobody here will argue that, but don't be surprised if people here tend to like keeping their guns original. After all, this is a C&R group, and most non-original mods to C&R guns actually will take them out of that category.

Yeah ... you are at least coming off as being defensive when people here are just trying to explain the environment of this group to you. You can take the well-intended advice, or you can get all defensive ... and maybe seem shitty. That's your right, too.

And I did respond to your question -- honestly. The compensator won't give you any advantage. It will cost you money. It will make the gun not look original. There's no real point in putting one onto your Tok ... unless you just think that it looks kewl. Other than possibly scuffing the finish, it won't hurt anything ... but there's no real advantage to doing it. It's that simple. There's your answer.

There are a lot of very dedicated gun preservationists in this group who started out just as you seem to be doing. They hung out, discussed, listened, and finally figured out that it's in their own best interests to keep their guns original. And then there have been a few people who came in here and decided that everyone but them was wrong ... and they eventually left.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Yep. Your gun, and your right. Nobody here will argue that, but don't be surprised if people here tend to like keeping their guns original. After all, this is a C&R group, and most non-original mods to C&R guns actually will take them out of that category.

Yeah ... you are at least coming off as being defensive when people here are just trying to explain the environment of this group to you. You can take the well-intended advice, or you can get all defensive ... and maybe seem shitty. That's your right, too.

And I did respond to your question -- honestly. The compensator won't give you any advantage. It will cost you money. It will make the gun not look original. There's no real point in putting one onto your Tok ... unless you just think that it looks kewl. Other than possibly scuffing the finish, it won't hurt anything ... but there's no real advantage to doing it. It's that simple. There's your answer.

There are a lot of very dedicated gun preservationists in this group who started out just as you seem to be doing. They hung out, discussed, listened, and finally figured out that it's in their own best interests to keep their guns original. And then there have been a few people who came in here and decided that everyone but them was wrong ... and they eventually left.

Good post.

I joined this place right after I had sanded and refinished a Chinese Type 53, and refinished a CZ82. Now I wish I could go back in time and NOT do those things.

So, they converted me.... :)

Local24MD

Apr 1, 2015
    Perry Hall

And I did respond to your question -- honestly. The compensator won't give you any advantage. It will cost you money. It will make the gun not look original. There's no real point in putting one onto your Tok ... unless you just think that it looks kewl. Other than possibly scuffing the finish, it won't hurt anything ... but there's no real advantage to doing it. It's that simple.

There are a lot of very dedicated gun preservationist in this group who started out just as you seem to be doing. They hung out, discussed, listened, and finally figured out that it's in their own best interests to keep their guns original. And then there have been a few people who came in here and decided that everyone but them was wrong ... and they eventually left.

I understand where your coming from, if it was an expensive, perfect condition, all matching then yeah I'd leave it but this was a cheap fun piece to add to the collection. Yes I guess you did answer my question and maybe I jumped back at you a little quickly so sorry for that. I guess I'm just used to seeing or talking to people who get all over people on forums when people look for answers to their questions not necessarily from site.

Jul 1, 2012
    Bear in mind, this is a totally non-impactive,non-destructive modification that can be "undone" while cleaning the gun after the range trip.
    It's not sanding off the finish, rebluing or cutting the barrel, or other Bubba-trocity.

True, in my less-than-scientific test with one magazine, it didn't seem to make any difference.

That may be the real take-away for the OP, who already realizes it's Not A Good Thing to modify something permanently.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Toks are cheap and most are not very rare.
    That being said, I'd not expect much gained with messing with a perfectly good fireball.
    In contast, I'd want to know what ammo I could use to create a BIGGER fireball?

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Toks are cheap and most are not very rare.
    That being said, I'd not expect much gained with messing with a perfectly good fireball.
    In contast, I'd want to know what ammo I could use to create a BIGGER fireball?

WC820 powder! (H110 might produce similar results)

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    I understand where your coming from, if it was an expensive, perfect condition, all matching then yeah I'd leave it but this was a cheap fun piece to add to the collection. Yes I guess you did answer my question and maybe I jumped back at you a little quickly so sorry for that. I guess I'm just used to seeing or talking to people who get all over people on forums when people look for answers to their questions not necessarily from site.

No harm, no foul.

The only thing that I'd add is just a reminder that people in this group often see guns for sale that were modified (not talking about your gun now) 'way back in the day when that gun was seen as being a cheap shooter. Now we groan that the same gun that may not have seemed to have much value in the '50s got cut up, drilled for a scope, etc., etc., because it would be a valuable gun now. It happens all the time.

One of our sayings around here goes something like, "Why would someone want to take a $400 gun and spend another $250 to turn it into a $150 gun?"

"Curio and Relic" is a collectors' license, and the intention of collecting is to preserve the history of these guns. That's why they are called "curios" and "relics," rather than "cheap old guns". The BATFE further recognizes this distinction by stating that only minor mods can be made to a gun's original configuration and have it remain in the C&R category.

Given all this, it's just good form for someone who is new to the group to realize its purpose, and to go with the flow of the group. That's all.

And yes, I do realize that the compensator is pretty much a snap-on sort of an affair for the Tok (Century has had them for years). It's just not going to give you anything other than a cosmetic change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom