• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    First off, I know some here were hesitant to post this information, and understandably due to the whole climate of this state's stupid laws and how the interpretation of them might change based on our illustrious :sarcasm: AG. But, after getting off the phone with Mr. Clutter AGAIN, I've concluded it's best to save people the anguish of another disapproved form.

One of my recent less than 29 inch OAL rimfire SBR's came back disapproved for the following reason.
    disapproved_message.jpg

Therefore, the following statements or something similar, should be annotated in the correct sections on the Form 1, for rimfire SBR's less then 29 inches. There is also character limitations, so use your words carefully and be aware of which boxes can take new-lines on the online form.

4h. Additional Description:
    <trust name>, <city> <state abbreviation>
    22LR RIMFIRE CALIBER CARTRIDGE, IN ACCORDANCE WITH MD LAW. <---new-line

4i. State Why You Intend To Make Firearm.
    TO BE IN COMPLIANCE WITH MD CRIMINAL LAW ARTICLE 4-301.

That's it! Like I said, this is for less than 29 inch rimfire SBR's only!!!

My SBR was approved in under 24hrs after the corrections were resubmitted. Thanks Mr. Clutter, truly!

Hope this helps.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    No problem. Hopefully this clears up the last of the ATF f-ups for MD. Now we just have to slap them around a bit concerning 5320.20 interstate transfer forms, for our friends in PA and VA can bring their toys into MD.

ponypeddler87

Feb 17, 2013
    St. Marys
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking about submitting for a rimfire sbr as well but had seen you all having trouble getting them approved. Now I'm not so worried.

MACTHEGUN

Aug 18, 2014
    Maybe slightly off topic but, if you are approved for a >29" SBR (in say, 5.56) would it then be permissible to attach a <29" upper in .22LR (in Md)?

Captnstabn

Apr 22, 2010
    Now, if I could just get the $200 back they owe I'd be set to sbr my 15-22. 62 days and counting...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Maybe slightly off topic but, if you are approved for a >29" SBR (in say, 5.56) would it then be permissible to attach a <29" upper in .22LR (in Md)?
    I would personally say yes. Your gun is what it is, and if it's in a rimfire "state", the centerfire-related copycat criteria should not apply.

MACTHEGUN

Aug 18, 2014
    I would personally say yes. Your gun is what it is, and if it's in a rimfire "state", the centerfire-related copycat criteria should not apply.

That's the way I read it too. Wouldn't it make sense then to submit as a >29" SBR and then make the switch as needed and forgo all the <29" .22LR foolishness, or are others just not wanting to take the chance?

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    That's the way I read it too. Wouldn't it make sense then to submit as a >29" SBR and then make the switch as needed and forgo all the <29" .22LR foolishness, or are others just not wanting to take the chance?

I think some people just like having dedicated SBRs. 1 for 22lr, 1 for 5.56, 1 for 300BLK, etc. Atleast that's what my goal for the future is.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You could do that, but I'd be sure you could restore it to the configuration on the form.

I think some people just like having dedicated SBRs. 1 for 22lr, 1 for 5.56, 1 for 300BLK, etc. Atleast that's what my goal for the future is.
    Pretty much what I do with my AR-15s. Two 5.56x45 SBRs, two 9mm SBRs, one 22lr SBR. Works nicely, none of this swapping uppers around business.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Back in January, I had some issues getting an approved Form 1. After some discussion with the NFA General Council and the Maryland Tech Examiner (I can't remember his official title), I attached a letter with my Form 1, stating this:
    "22LR Rimfire, to remain in accordance with Maryland State Law."

They asked me to not make posts about "how to do a 22lr SBR" until they'd had time to circulate a memo around the office, and finished discussions with the MSP. I guess now is as good as ever. Bobthefisher and I spoke about it while everything was still up-in-the-air, and I'm glad to see that the ATF and MSP have worked it all out.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Back in January, I had some issues getting an approved Form 1. After some discussion with the NFA General Council and the Maryland Tech Examiner (I can't remember his official title), I attached a letter with my Form 1, stating this:
    "22LR Rimfire, to remain in accordance with Maryland State Law."

They asked me to not make posts about "how to do a 22lr SBR" until they'd had time to circulate a memo around the office, and finished discussions with the MSP. I guess now is as good as ever. Bobthefisher and I spoke about it while everything was still up-in-the-air, and I'm glad to see that the ATF and MSP have worked it all out.

I very much applaud your work and effort in dealing with the ATF and MSP concerning this issue. I apologizes if I posted these instructions out-of-turn. However, I could no longer stand by and watch my fellow citizens be raped of another $200, while the powers at be squabble like delinquent children. Only after speaking with Mr. Clutter and given specific instructions to the affirmative, did I decide to post these guidelines for a rimfire SBR less than 29 inches in OAL.

Darkknight

Mar 22, 2008
    Parsonsburg, md
    I was looking at this yesterday, where did you input this to get it to populate 4H in the efile form?

First off, I know some here were hesitant to post this information, and understandably due to the whole climate of this state's stupid laws and how the interpretation of them might change based on our illustrious :sarcasm: AG. But, after getting off the phone with Mr. Clutter AGAIN, I've concluded it's best to save people the anguish of another disapproved form.

One of my recent less than 29 inch OAL rimfire SBR's came back disapproved for the following reason.
    View attachment 145261

Therefore, the following statements or something similar, should be annotated in the correct sections on the Form 1, for rimfire SBR's less then 29 inches. There is also character limitations, so use your words carefully and be aware of which boxes can take new-lines on the online form.

4h. Additional Description:
    <trust name>, <city> <state abbreviation>
    22LR RIMFIRE CALIBER CARTRIDGE, IN ACCORDANCE WITH MD LAW.
    <---new-line

4i. State Why You Intend To Make Firearm.
    TO BE IN COMPLIANCE WITH MD CRIMINAL LAW ARTICLE 4-301.

That's it! Like I said, this is for less than 29 inch rimfire SBR's only!!!

My SBR was approved in under 24hrs after the corrections were resubmitted. Thanks Mr. Clutter, truly!

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom