• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    The G22 I have started acting up at the range today. It would fire one round, then lock back on a mag with 5 rounds in it, as if it was an empty mag. I would pull the slide and chamber the next round with no issues, but then it would lock the slide back again. I tried with 180gr AE and also 180gr WWB with the same result. Any ideas?

Bnemeroff

Jul 14, 2013
    More than likely the slide lock is not installed properly, or the magazines are deformed. Check the mags first. If not make sure the slide lock spring is under the locking block pin.

Hope that helps!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    First suggestion is to let ssomeone else shoot it and see if it still happens. You could be hitting the slide lock with your left hand.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Have you shot a SIG recently? On SIG P-series guns the controls are to the rear of the slide necessitating a more forward grip which could put you right in the trouble zone for Glocks.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I used 2 different mags and it happened with both mags. I thought about my hands and tried slightly different hand holds, but it kept happening. The mags were both Glock factory mags.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Take the slide off and hold the frame upside down (rails level with the deck) and pull the slide catch down and let it go. If it don't return its the spring.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Take the slide off and hold the frame upside down (rails level with the deck) and pull the slide catch down and let it go. If it don't return its the spring.

I'll try that when I get home and report back. I think it will return, because when I pulled the slide back to manually load the next round in the mag, it would slide into battery with no issues. That is why I'm at a complete loss with this.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'll try that when I get home and report back. I think it will return, because when I pulled the slide back to manually load the next round in the mag, it would slide into battery with no issues. That is why I'm at a complete loss with this.

Upright it will go into battery with a broken slide catch spring. The slide recoiling is what will bump it up. The spring keeps it down till the follower trips it with more force than the slide can create under recoil, or when an odd profile projectile trips it by accident.

Be happy it is a Glock in 40 and not a Hi-point in 40... :lol2:

Also it would be for science! :D

You know I love ya.

I would shoot a .40 to help you. ;)

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Upright it will go into battery with a broken slide catch spring. The slide recoiling is what will bump it up. The spring keeps it down till the follower trips it with more force than the slide can create under recoil, or when an odd profile projectile trips it by accident.

I would shoot a .40 to help you. ;)

Hmm... that actually does make sense. is it possible that it would fail like this within the first 1-2k rounds? The G22 in question is a Louie special that when I got it, I figure it had less than 250 rounds through it. I'm not bashing Lou or anything with this, just curious if this could happen with such a low round count.

Thank you, my friend. I know how much it will pain you to be within eyesight of it, but I appreciate your kind offer. Let me get home and I'll report back later tonight with what happens and we'll go from there. Knowing my luck it was inadvertently tripping the slide release and not knowing/realizing it. If that is the case, feel free to fire away with the "DA is an idiot" comments. :D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Hmm... that actually does make sense. is it possible that it would fail like this within the first 1-2k rounds? The G22 in question is a Louie special that when I got it, I figure it had less than 250 rounds through it. I'm not bashing Lou or anything with this, just curious if this could happen with such a low round count.

Thank you, my friend. I know how much it will pain you to be within eyesight of it, but I appreciate your kind offer. Let me get home and I'll report back later tonight with what happens and we'll go from there. Knowing my luck it was inadvertently tripping the slide release and not knowing/realizing it. If that is the case, feel free to fire away with the "DA is an idiot" comments. :D

If a police Armorer removed it for whatever reason, its very easy to damage the spring if its pinched or installed wrong, then put in correctly. Its a tiny straight wire spring. Sometimes the crimp that holds them cuts loose too.

Its an easy fix if that's it.

:)

Well get her sorted out. :D Im happy to help my friend.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    On a completely unrelated topic, I shot my fastest 6 round string from "low ready" today with that G22 at 10 yards. I clocked a 3.60 and it was the first time I ever did that kind of shooting with my G22. I beat my dad's time by about 3 seconds. :lol2:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Ok. I did what you said and it does pop back up up into place, but there is some "play" in it when it is upside down. I can jiggle the frame and the slide release will move up and down. It also has some side to side play in it if it is not in its proper place. In addition to that, when I lock the slide back while it is upside down and pull back on the slide as if the let it move into battery, the slide release does not disengage, it will not release the slide unless I pull back on the slide two or more times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom