• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    New arrival today after about a year of searching...WWII Astra 400 that falls into the Nazi German contract range (serial numbers 92851 to 98850) delivered in late 1941. These supposedly are able to function with 5 different cartridges: 9mm Bayard, 38 ACP, 9mm Steyr, 9mm Browning Long and 9x19, although it was designed specifically for the Bayard and 38. Mawkie had a great post about fake 400s a while back and what to look for on these since they didn't receive a German waffenamt stamp.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=151030

Got lucky with this one, it popped up on Gunbroker the other week with very poor photos and no mention of being German contract. since they dont have a waffenamt I would imagine they can easily slip through the cracks as "just another Astra" to those that haven't done their research. Turned out to be in outstanding condition, even better than I hoped...very little wear and still has some fire blue left on the extractor and small parts. All matching, no import marks. This one falls squarely into the German contract serial range at number 943xx.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      74.9 KB · Views: 927
    Jul 1, 2012
    Yee-hah! That's one high on my list. Super hard to find. There's a complete rig up now on GB that's over $2k. Yours look to be in fantastic condition.

Ironically I was just thinking this weekend about digging through all the 400's that have come up lately to see if any were German contracts... but too lazy / other things going on. Congrats!

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    You always find the coolest stuff. I thought the Nazis usually marked their stuff. Is there a reason they didn't mark these?

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    You always find the coolest stuff. I thought the Nazis usually marked their stuff. Is there a reason they didn't mark these?

From what I've read (disclaimer; I'm by no means an expert on these and maybe someone else can chime in), the Germans considered them to be of a high quality, thus they decided to forego additional proofing.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    These supposedly are able to function with 5 different cartridges: 9mm Bayard, 38 ACP, 9mm Steyr, 9mm Browning Long and 9x19, although it was designed specifically for the Bayard and 38.

The 9mm Browning long is 9x20, and the 9x19 is 19 mm long and all the others are plus or minus 23 mm long. If rimless auto pistol cartridges headspace on the mouth of the case, how can this not create head space issues.

Not calling you out, just asking the people who think this can be done.

BTW really nice piece.

Jul 1, 2012
    ... the Germans considered them to be of a high quality, thus they decided to forego additional proofing.

The Waffenamt was a military acceptance stamp not a proof mark (subtle difference). The 7.65 Astra 300's didn't have the Waffenamt either, but most of the 9mm Kurtz did. Similarly, the first batch of Star B's didn't have the acceptance stamp. Not sure why (maybe as simple as the inspector was somewhere else when the shipment came in?).

The 400's sent to Germany did receive special attention to fit and finish and typically have a much more polished look. Maybe there was an agreement behind the scenes or even an off-the-books German Army inspector in Spain?

They put acceptance marks on all German-produced pistols that went to the military (as far as I know) since there were inspectors specifically assigned to the factories. And there were some fine, high-quality pistols there. With the arrogance of the regime I would think they'd give special attention to foreign-produced pistols and not take anything on face value.

Another argument against this idea was the CZ-38's didn't receive WaA's either (until the last gasp anyway). And that's not exactly a high quality pistol IMHO :)

Not sure there's a definitive answer on this one.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    The Waffenamt was a military acceptance stamp not a proof mark (subtle difference). The 7.65 Astra 300's didn't have the Waffenamt either, but most of the 9mm Kurtz did. Similarly, the first batch of Star B's didn't have the acceptance stamp. Not sure why (maybe as simple as the inspector was somewhere else when the shipment came in?).

The 400's sent to Germany did receive special attention to fit and finish and typically have a much more polished look. Maybe there was an agreement behind the scenes or even an off-the-books German Army inspector in Spain?

They put acceptance marks on all German-produced pistols that went to the military (as far as I know) since there were inspectors specifically assigned to the factories. And there were some fine, high-quality pistols there. With the arrogance of the regime I would think they'd give special attention to foreign-produced pistols and not take anything on face value.

Another argument against this idea was the CZ-38's didn't receive WaA's either (until the last gasp anyway). And that's not exactly a high quality pistol IMHO :)

Not sure there's a definitive answer on this one.

Excellent points, especially regarding the CZ-38! I was hoping you would weigh in on this question...thanks for the additional insight

Jul 1, 2012
    The 9mm Browning long is 9x20, and the 9x19 is 19 mm long and all the others are plus or minus 23 mm long. If rimless auto pistol cartridges headspace on the mouth of the case, how can this not create head space issues.

Not calling you out, just asking the people who think this can be done.

BTW really nice piece.

It did create head-space issues (and extractor failures), hence the Astra 600 in 9mm P which was designed specifically for the Germans to solve that issue. Since 9mm Largo wasn't always available the Germans shot the 9mm P thru the 400 and were less than thrilled with the performance & reliability.

Personally I wouldn't shoot .38 ACP through a pistol chambered for 9mm Largo unless the barrel is properly modified (grooved) to accept the semi-rimmed .38 ACP cartridge. Those guns are roll-marked or stamped with "38" in addition to 9m/m. Maybe it's perfectly safe but it would give me the heebie-jeebies.

BTW - they only shipped 6000 M400's to the Germans. That's not very many in the grand scheme of things, and one of the reasons this is such a prized find !

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The "works with 5 or 6 or 7 other cartridges" is an old, old bit of hype, maybe encouraged by importers, and spread by the sort of people who like to spout BS about guns. It is a big part of the mythology of these pistols.

The pistol is chambered for 9mm Largo, and that's the only correct ammo for it, but apparently it can be fired with more or less success using other 9mm rounds. Reliability and safety would be another matter.

9x19 is way too short, by about 4 mm, and would just disappear into the chamber if not caught and held by the extractor. Apparently the extractor holds the shorter round often enough to lend credence to the legend. .38 ACP may headspace on its semi-rim, and I think Americans back in the day had more success misusing that round, but it would be very dangerous to use the dimensionally identical .38 Super. The latter round is WAY too hot.

Remember, these guns are pure blowback. The breech is not locked at all.

Use the correct ammo: 9mm Largo.

Jul 1, 2012
    The .38ACP will headspace properly if the barrel face is grooved to accept the rim. The guns marked with "38" are safe to shoot .38 ACP (NOT SUPER!).
    Not really sure what will happen if it's not grooved, I guess it just wouldn't close all the way. Since the breech doesn't lockup anyway, and it's just a teeny amount, what's the harm, right? (that's sarcasm btw).

I guess we're drifting off-topic but here's graphic example of the differences between 9mm Parabellum (aka "Luger"), 9mm Browning Long, and .38 ACP. The 9mm Largo cartridge is the same size as the .38 but without a rim. Look at the drastic difference in the semi-rim design of the 9mm BL. The few times I've fired the 9mm BL it felt like a pretty hot load compared to the .38 ACP. Not sure what the rated pressures are though.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      101.9 KB · Views: 410

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Amazing how neat these Astra's are and they always seem in premium condition. I picked up the 600 that MilSurpDan had for sale for a while. Gun is definately growing on me.

Jul 1, 2012
    oh, there's plenty out there in poor condition too :sad20:
    one thing to look for is plier marks on the nose cap... shudder...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom