• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Went to the Gunshack in Mt. Airy a couple hours ago to pick up some reloading stuff. Looked in one of the racks and saw this sitting there, looked it over and it appeared to be a well used M91/30. Saw the price tag and decided to take it home with me. $100. They had it marked as a "wall hanger" and after seeing some of its characteristics I almost agreed at the time, but there was something special about it.

1939 Ishevsk. Only thing that matches on it is the buttplate, I suspect the stock and bands match too since they are Ishevsk marked. No import marks anywhere. No post war refurb markings either. Not counterbored but the bore is pretty dark, I think it will clean up though. Tons of dust inside and outside. Like its been sitting in a closet for decades. Small amount of surface rust but I cleaned most of it off with some kroil.

The reason they thought it was a "wall hanger" was because the trigger wouldn't work and the bolt couldn't be removed. Easy fix as all it was is somebody forgot to put the axis pin in last time it was disassembled.

Let me know what you guys think! (Especially h2u).

Attachments

• IMG_0524.jpg
      IMG_0524.jpg
      79.5 KB · Views: 569
    • IMG_0526.jpg
      IMG_0526.jpg
      65 KB · Views: 564
    • IMG_0529.jpg
      IMG_0529.jpg
      62.8 KB · Views: 570
    • IMG_0531.jpg
      IMG_0531.jpg
      68 KB · Views: 581
    • IMG_0533.jpg
      IMG_0533.jpg
      74.8 KB · Views: 570
    • IMG_0534.jpg
      IMG_0534.jpg
      48.4 KB · Views: 574
    • IMG_0539.jpg
      IMG_0539.jpg
      54.7 KB · Views: 565

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    i think you got a great score there!

Agreed. Looks like a vanilla milsurp Izzy someone bought cheap once ago and let sit. But with no import mark it could be a bring back.

For $100 in today's market most of us would have brought it home too.

Nice find. :thumbsup:

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    the rifle is neat. certainly looks like it could be a bringback but who knows. by the way.... you have a nice looking house.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks guys, Bringback passed through my mind, figured "maybe" from Korea or Vietnam (although I remember reading somewhere that m91/30s showed up seldom if at all there).

I don't think it is a SCW as it's 1939 date is too late to have been sent to Spain for the conflict (SCW ended in April 1939) and it doesn't have the "Made in USSR" marking or the wire sling hangers.

Oh and after I bought it I went down the street to Shooter's Discount to see what Lou thought and he wasn't there! WTH

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I called them last week said they didn't. I would have pick it up too, but the bolt looks really old.

If you mean you asked if they had any Mosin-Nagants when you called, Steve at the gunshack told me they had just got it in 2 days ago on consignment.

I believe the bolt is mid-war due to the rough machining, its got some light surface rust and grime on it, which is steadily coming off due to me soaking it in kroil

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    If you mean you asked if they had any Mosin-Nagants when you called, Steve at the gunshack told me they had just got it in 2 days ago on consignment.

I believe the bolt is mid-war due to the rough machining, its got some light surface rust and grime on it, which is steadily coming off due to me soaking it in kroil

Got mine already, put a scope on it. Can't wait to try it out. Any good outdoor range near Montgomery county besides crespa that opens to the public?

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Thanks guys, Bringback passed through my mind, figured "maybe" from Korea or Vietnam (although I remember reading somewhere that m91/30s showed up seldom if at all there).

I don't think it is a SCW as it's 1939 date is too late to have been sent to Spain for the conflict (SCW ended in April 1939) and it doesn't have the "Made in USSR" marking or the wire sling hangers.

Oh and after I bought it I went down the street to Shooter's Discount to see what Lou thought and he wasn't there! WTH

Yep, I was closed today; had two appointments, one in PA and another in western MD.

jindodog

Sep 29, 2007
    Chester
    I'm thinking SCW even with the late date. Some where in my hazy memory I seem to recall a thread on one of the other collector sites where a 91/30 dated 1939 was being discussed as having possible SCW provenance. If I recall correctly, some pretty good arguments were made for the possibility of such being the case. Dan's rifle surely has the "look" of a SCW to me. The "red" look to the finish is something I see on some of the SCW rifles in my collection. Not all SCW rifles are import marked with the "Made in USSR" or "Made in URRS" stamp. Spanish sling hangers could have been removed after import. I'm only going on a feeling and can't really say for sure and anybody's guess is certainly as good as mine,but I'm going to say SCW. It is a fine piece in any event and it was a steal at the price. Congratulations to MilsurpDan!

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Took it apart and fixed the "broken trigger". Cut a nail and put it in place of the axis pin (saved me $5 plus shipping) and the trigger works, the bolt cycles and can be removed and it dry fires.

The more I think about it the more I don't think its a SCW, just for the reasons I already listed and the fact that I found a piece of what looks to be the leather dog collar stuck in the rear sling slot. It's very possible that it could be though

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I think you may have a survivor. That's great. Glad you were able to get the trigger working too.

Congrats!
    Jim Smith

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I'll start off by saying any of the above guesses could be correct. I've seen the vertical serial stamped on the stock on some Balkan rifles in the past-all M1891s.

My first guess is to agree with the sentiment that has it coming in before import marks were required and being neglected. I have a 100% Remington M91 that was left in a damp basement for years and looks even worse than this rifle :sad20:

But I keep returning to that stock stamped serial number and the wear/dings on the stock and become lost again as to what I think :D

All I know is its a cool rifle and I wouldn't have hesitated a second to pay $100 for it! Congrats!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom