• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    OK,
    got about 100 rounds into the Lyman Great Plains Rifle.
    .54 cal

I'm using .530 Ball
    Pillow Ticking from Walmart
    70g Goex 2F
    Swabbing between shots
    50 yards from the bench with Lyman Rear Peep sight attached.

I'm getting some cutting of the patches. Need to find out if that is from muzzle or the shooting.

How much accuracy should I expect out of this at 50? 100?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
      photo.JPG
      39 KB · Views: 927
    • GPRpatches20140707.JPG
      GPRpatches20140707.JPG
      77 KB · Views: 1,060

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Patch Lube is a 7:1 Water Ballistol mix dried on a pan.

I also have a thicker .535 Ball I will be trying.
    Seems like I could spend a year experimenting with patches and Lubes and never shoot a different rifle.

I recently tried duplexing 15g 2F Goex and 50g American Pioneer 2F.
    Pre-measured at home and loaded from plastic Vials, Loading is swift and I went about 30 rounds one day never needing swabbing. But accuracy is not as good (from the bench) as the Goex. It might be that offhand shooting I would not notice the accuracy change as much.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I had been working on a new "No swab" load in parallel with the Goex BP. It was just slightly larger group than the BP though. I changed something this morning and I'm tickled pink.
    The POI is the same as the Goex load now (previous "no swab" load was about 2moa left of the Goex)
    Eager to try it again and then some at 100. I only had 30 mins today at AGC before work so this is the only group I shot.
    It measured 2 1/4" Group @ 50 yards from the bench.

Attachments

• Duplex2.JPG
      Duplex2.JPG
      40 KB · Views: 743

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My "no swab" load is working pretty good.
    here are 2 papers, 5 shots and 4 shots.
    Both from the bench @ 50yards. Rear sight was adjusted since the last trip posted above.
    No swabbing between the 9 shots.

Attachments

• 2014071450ydsduplex1.jpg
      2014071450ydsduplex1.jpg
      11.9 KB · Views: 629
    • 2014071450ydsduplex2.jpg
      2014071450ydsduplex2.jpg
      6.9 KB · Views: 630

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Had poor results @ 100 yards monday so I bumped the charge up 10 grains. It still hit the same POI @ 50 but @100 it was looking good enough to be setting up a gong.

Attachments

• GPR54at100yds60gBH209.JPG
      GPR54at100yds60gBH209.JPG
      44.9 KB · Views: 651

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    hit the gong.
    What you don't see is the 4 misses in the dirt berm.
    I was hitting low then adjusted for the last 2 shots and hit one of them.
    Had to go to work though so just took 5 shots.

Attachments

• gong1.JPG
      gong1.JPG
      61.7 KB · Views: 606

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Nice groups at both distances. I would be happy with that for hunting.

You must have better eyes then me. I cant see the 8 inch target let alone your 6 incher. My Great Plains have open sights. Now where is my 10 in steel target?

miben

Sep 29, 2007
    NC formerly Eldersburg MD
    Those targets look good. I have been told by an older muzzleloader that cooking grease like crisco is good for breaking in a new barrel. Think of a cast iron frying pan that needs to be seasoned. Take that for what it's worth. Either way, once the barrel is broken in you should get better accuracy.

Could the flyers be from not packing the ball tight enough against the powder? The ramrod should bounce off the loaded ball solidly when it is fully packed. In other words after packing, throw the rod against the ball and let the rod bounce. You should get a consistent bounce for each load.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Alex,
    Although I had Lasik on my eyes in 2001 and my eyes are still 20-30, I need reading glasses. With regular open sights, I use a piece of tape with a hole in it. (commercially, there is a product called eye pal). With enough ambient light, it will make most people's eyes a decade or more young again.

Luckily, I have the Lyman rear Peep on this one. So it's almost like shooting an M1 Garand. But the 6" target is still just a small fuzzy dot @ 100 to me. I just aim at the center of the fuzzy dot.

Miben, my flyers could be a number of things. I've thought about greasing up the patches even more to season it. I did use about 60 of the traditions wonderlube patches for the break in which I think is WAY more lubed than the normal mixture I use now for better accuracy. I think the main reason for my flyers is torn patches. I'm seeing a ratio of demolished patches in the grass at about the same rate of flyers I get (about 5:1) I don't think it's the muzzle cutting it cause I pushed a couple balls down with large pillow ticking then pulled them out and no cuts. It may be when shot. The flyers @ 50 yards are acceptable for now but I sure would like them reduced.

I'm duplexing BP and BH209 BH209 is CRAZY consistant for a sub. I'll still be experimenting to see how little BP I can use to get good ignition. Duplexing is stretching my supply of BP cause BH209 is easy to find right now and BP is not it seems.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ... I think the main reason for my flyers is torn patches. I'm seeing a ratio of demolished patches in the grass at about the same rate of flyers I get (about 5:1) I don't think it's the muzzle cutting it cause I pushed a couple balls down with large pillow ticking then pulled them out and no cuts. It may be when shot.

Sounds like you need to correlate which patch came from which shot. Maybe you could mark the patches with a sharpie or pen before loading, using dots or numbers. Then watch each shot. If the third shot is a flyer, and the patch marked "3" or "..." is the only one cut, then there's your correlation. Not very helpful, though, if you can't eliminate the cutting.

If I'm being too German, then just ignore me.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Sounds like you need to correlate which patch came from which shot. Maybe you could mark the patches with a sharpie or pen before loading, using dots or numbers. Then watch each shot. If the third shot is a flyer, and the patch marked "3" or "..." is the only one cut, then there's your correlation. Not very helpful, though, if you can't eliminate the cutting.

If I'm being too German, then just ignore me.

I had the exact same thought so great minds think alike.
    I was going to number them but kept forgetting to bring a sharpie.
    It would have to be a day that I'm really able to spend some time cause I bet there will be some patches I won't be able to find so it may take 2-3 groups to make it happen.
    I'm an Engineer so analysis is in my blood. I can't just let it go....

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Good call Threeband
    I marked them and collected all
    Can you guess which was the flyer?
    I ran out of Balistol patches and ha some dry ones for me to try out slit patches
    Man what a difference. I was nailing the gong with the spit patched shots
    Thx for the wise advise on marking the patches

Btw I bumped up my charge 10grn with the Balistol patches and they all were flyers. Patches were ripped to shreds. So I have some patch lube experimenting to do here

EDIT: Add pic of spit patches

Attachments

• image-3868942787.jpg
      image-3868942787.jpg
      65.2 KB · Views: 340
    • image-698070069.jpg
      image-698070069.jpg
      86 KB · Views: 343
    • patches3.JPG
      patches3.JPG
      77.1 KB · Views: 333
    Last edited: