7.62x54r Surplus Training Ammo Availability?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Anyone know where it is available at an affordable price?

I've seen it going for 60 cents a round, which seems a bit high to me.

Thanks!

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Thanks! I have plenty of light ball for my mosin's.

The training ammo was mostly made by the Czechs and is 46 grains. Accurate to 200 yards and has the kick of a 22 magnum.

Great for new shooters and kids.

The light ball or "normal" surplus is more like a .308-30-06.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I have never seen that sort of ammunition but would be interested to learn about it. Might be a way to convince my girlfriend to shoot the Mosin again.

Sorry for the unhelpful post though! I thought you might just be after typical surplus ammo.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have about 500rds of it in a 50cal can. Availability of it comes and goes. I think I paid 25c a round? It has a very short white rounded hollow bullet.

Be aware that it WILL NOT feed in a VEPR 54r (but it will cycle the gun... *sigh* what a tease). I'm basically keeping it around in case I ever get the itch to do a real Mosin scoped build one day, or if it ever skyrockets to Yugo M67 levels of stupid pricing.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Never be afraid to post with information you think may be useful! I appreciate it!

And erwos, that is just what I'm looking for! Any idea where you bought it or places to look?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    There's none anywhere for a price worth paying, alas.

The OP probably feels like I did with regards to heavy ball; there was some on the market for a pretty decent price for a while, but I snoozed and losed. :) Makes me want to go buy some more 5.45x39.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I buy 5.45 whenever I get the chance. One day it will dry up like the 8 mm has. I've got 5 spam cans of 5.45 and I don't think that is enough

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    648 rounds for $149 (23 cents per round) is what I paid last Feb. at SGammo and I think that was the last time they may have had it. They are boxed in 12 rounds. They or someone else I think ended up getting some and delivering in ammo boxes with some disclaimer that a % of them were corroded and not usable.

I think I still have an entire box of it. I have to take inventory. If you really want some to try it, I can trade you regular surplus for a few boxes. I would not say its accurate to 200 yards though. 50 yards, the POI is pretty close to surplus. a tad lower. At 100 yards its noticably and groups are a little bigger, especially if windy. I judge this with my PU sniper where I can get better accuracy at 100 yards. 50 yards with iron sights is how I have kids shoot it. Or if I want to shoot offhand at 50, I'll use the training ammo.

Sirex