Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues

Notices

Old September 12th, 2013, 07:38 AM #1

Maryland CCW & HQL

Ok I contacted MSP and got some information regarding the new HQL if you already possess a Maryland CCW. I am being told that the online sign up for both should be up and running in the next two weeks. According to MSP if you already have a MD CCW then you WILL NOT be charged a fee to get a HQL. You will however still need to submit new fingerprints along with your HQL application if it has been longer then 30 days since the last time your fingerprints were taken.

I just wanted to share this information with everyone, at least those of us who have our MD CCW won't be out the $50 for the HQL.
k9guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:00 AM #2

Who did you talk to? Ddeanjohnson got clarification from the head of the licensing division yesterday and posted a thread. There has been conflicting information on this subject depending on who you spoke with.
#250A
Spin Master
Straightshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:10 AM #3

I got my information from Mr. James Kozlowski.
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:10 AM #4
autodidact

autodidact

No, that's bad information

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9guy View Post
Ok I contacted MSP and got some information regarding the new HQL if you already possess a Maryland CCW. I am being told that the online sign up for both should be up and running in the next two weeks. According to MSP if you already have a MD CCW then you WILL NOT be charged a fee to get a HQL. You will however still need to submit new fingerprints along with your HQL application if it has been longer then 30 days since the last time your fingerprints were taken.

I just wanted to share this information with everyone, at least those of us who have our MD CCW won't be out the $50 for the HQL.
I'm sorry to inform you that you have received misinformation. This subject is thoroughly discussed in another thread, here:
http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=131343

To summarize that thread: As of October 1, anyone with a currently valid Maryland carry permit -- even if it was issued a year or two ago -- may obtain a HQL license merely by submitting an on-line request, which will include a request for the carry permit number. The MSP will confirm that the requester has a valid carry permit, and then will issue a HQL. The requester will NOT be required to submit new fingerprints (and also, as you said, there is no fee). This information was confirmed in writing by Lt. John G. Cook, commander of the Licensing Section, as recently as yesterday (Sept. 11, 2013) -- again, see the thread linked above.

The MSP is adopting this policy under a specific provision of SB 281 that gives the Secretary of the MSP authority to issue HQLs to carry permit holders "without an additional application or fee." The fingerprinting requirement to which you refer is, of course, part of the general HQL application process. Thus, what you were told not only contradicts what the Section Commander says, but if attempted, would contradict the plain language of the statutory authority on which the MSP is basing the policy. The MSP is not mandated to issue HQLs on request to carry permit holders, but when it employs its lawful authority to do so, it must do so "without an additional application or fee."
ddeanjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:13 AM #5

Dd, do you ever sleep?
#250A
Spin Master
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:26 AM #6

Ok that sounds great, I was just sharing the information I received. That is great that you do not have to submit new fingerprints or pay a fee. Question; I see that the new HQL has a photo of the applicant on it, how do we get a photo to MSP for the HQL.
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:28 AM #7

Through MVA records.
#250A
Spin Master
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:29 AM #8
autodidact

autodidact

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9guy View Post
Question; I see that the new HQL has a photo of the applicant on it, how do we get a photo to MSP for the HQL.
They used the camera on your laptop to take your photo yesterday, while you were talking to Mr. Kozlowski. So you are good to go.
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:32 AM #9
President, MSI

President, MSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeanjohnson View Post
I'm sorry to inform you that you have received misinformation. This subject is thoroughly discussed in another thread, here:
http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=131343

To summarize that thread: As of October 1, anyone with a currently valid Maryland carry permit -- even if it was issued a year or two ago -- may obtain a HQL license merely by submitting an on-line request, which will include a request for the carry permit number. The MSP will confirm that the requester has a valid carry permit, and then will issue a HQL. The requester will NOT be required to submit new fingerprints (and also, as you said, there is no fee). This information was confirmed in writing by Lt. John G. Cook, commander of the Licensing Section, as recently as yesterday (Sept. 11, 2013) -- again, see the thread linked above.

The MSP is adopting this policy under a specific provision of SB 281 that gives the Secretary of the MSP authority to issue HQLs to carry permit holders "without an additional application or fee." The fingerprinting requirement to which you refer is, of course, part of the general HQL application process. Thus, what you were told not only contradicts what the Section Commander says, but if attempted, would contradict the plain language of the statutory authority on which the MSP is basing the policy. The MSP is not mandated to issue HQLs on request to carry permit holders, but when it employs its lawful authority to do so, it must do so "without an additional application or fee."
This is my understanding as well. You *should* be able to do so on-line come Sept. 16 by entering your MD CCW number in the HQL license application menu. You should be able to indicate the basis for exemption from the training requirement as well. EG If you are a certified instructor, you are also exempt from the training requirement. We shall see if it actually works.
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:39 AM #10
autodidact

autodidact

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqappellate View Post
This is my understanding as well. You *should* be able to do so on-line come Sept. 16 by entering your MD CCW number in the HQL license application menu. You should be able to indicate the basis for exemption from the training requirement as well. EG If you are a certified instructor, you are also exempt from the training requirement. We shall see if it actually works.
I am not sure what "training requirement" you are referring to here. A person who has a Maryland carry permit will submit nothing but the request and his carry permit number, and a HQL will be issued, period. All of the other requirements and exemptions for a HQL, including the training requirement and exemptions thereto, are inapplicable to someone who already has a Maryland carry permit, under the statute-based MSP policy as explained by Lt. Cook and summarized above.

If you are talking about the exemptions to the training requirement that will apply to everybody who actually has to apply for a HQL (people who do not have carry permits and who are not otherwise exempt), then it is also my understanding that the on-line application process will allow for the entry of certificate numbers and the like that will validate one exemption or another.

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues