Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:40 PM #1
BillC BillC is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 18
BillC BillC is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 18
A visit from the Maryland State Police

I received a visit from two officers of the Maryland State Police this morning. They rang the doorbell at 6:10 am, apparently to catch me before I could go to work (which they did).

The backstory: back in March, I purchased a heavy-barrel Colt AR-15 A3 from a Virginia dealer at the Chantilly gun show. Since it was a Colt and has a heavy barrel (not M4 or other profile), both the dealer and I agreed it was exempt from the Maryland regulated firearms and so I purchased it over-the-counter (after the normal NICS check).

Their story: the ATF audited this dealer sometime afterwards, and wrote down all purchases made by MD residents and reported them to the State Police. Since the dealer recorded it as "Colt AR-15", the police had to investigate since it could have been an improper purchase of a regulated firearm.

At their request, I retrieved the gun in question from the safe. They verified the serial number and then said I had to register the gun because it was a regulated firearm. And, apparently, the only way to register a gun in MD is to fill out all the MD regulated firearm purchase paperwork, since they insisted I had to fill it out. I tried to argue that it is a Colt and it has a heavy barrel (to which they agreed on both points), but they said it was still regulated. They pulled out a copy of the regulated long gun list and pointed to the AR-15 line, where it says AR-15s and all copies & clones "except for Colt Sporter HBAR". Since my gun is marked "Colt AR-15 A3" and not "Colt Sporter HBAR", they said it was regulated. They were polite and respectful, but very insistent that I had to fill out the paperwork. Even though I really didn't want to, I decided it was probably better to comply than fight the MSP, and filled out the paperwork. They said at some point in the future they would mail me a "not disapproved" notice, so I can take possession of the gun I already own.

Two points to this story:
1) The MD State Police are being very aggressive about tracking down any out-of-state purchases of potentially-regulated firearms.
2) The MD State Police are sticking to the exact wording of the regulated firearms list and consider any AR-15s not marked "Colt Sporter HBAR" to be regulated. This also means that it may not be possible to purchase any AR-15s after 1 Oct that aren't specifically marked "Colt Sporter HBAR", at least if the MSP has any say in the matter.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:42 PM #2
rseymorejr's Avatar
rseymorejr rseymorejr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Harford County
Posts: 11,253
rseymorejr rseymorejr is offline
Senior Member
rseymorejr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Harford County
Posts: 11,253
Deja Vu?
__________________
Endowment Member- NRA
Member-Mount Washington Rod & Gun Club
Member- Maryland Shall Issue
ROLL TIDE!!
rseymorejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:43 PM #3
gamer_jim's Avatar
gamer_jim gamer_jim is offline
Beer Czar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Carroll County
Posts: 8,316
Images: 5
gamer_jim gamer_jim is offline
Beer Czar
gamer_jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Carroll County
Posts: 8,316
Images: 5
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure it has to be marked on the lower receiver hbar. Is yours engraved on the lower?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
"...they celebrated the occasion by eating and drinking, firing guns, and all manner of riotous hilarity."
Buccaneers and Pirates of Our Coasts by Frank Richard Stockton
gamer_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:44 PM #4
mbz300sdl's Avatar
mbz300sdl mbz300sdl is offline
Gone living free now!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 10,414
mbz300sdl mbz300sdl is offline
Gone living free now!!!
mbz300sdl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 10,414
Ok I would be calling a pro-2A lawyer
__________________
MDS's resident cheap A$$
mbz300sdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:46 PM #5
pbharvey's Avatar
pbharvey pbharvey is offline
Habitual Testifier
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14,963
pbharvey pbharvey is offline
Habitual Testifier
pbharvey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14,963
Did they take the gun or leave it with you?
__________________
Brian

"The heart of the matter then is not the existence of guns, knives or pressure cookers, it is this: It’s the evil lurking in the hearts of people. And there is only one solution to that problem.
His name is Jesus Christ, and the change He brings to a person’s heart is the ultimate cure for the violence and wickedness that surrounds us." Jim Daly
pbharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:48 PM #6
j8064's Avatar
j8064 j8064 is offline
Garrett Co Hooligan #1
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Deep Creek
Posts: 9,695
j8064 j8064 is offline
Garrett Co Hooligan #1
j8064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Deep Creek
Posts: 9,695
Wasn't there a thread about almost this same scenario started in the last week or so?
__________________
"Happiness is a warm gun..." - John Lennon, 1968

"Happiness is also a warm Beagle" - j8064
j8064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:49 PM #7
ken792's Avatar
ken792 ken792 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 3,214
ken792 ken792 is offline
Senior Member
ken792's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 3,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by j8064 View Post
Wasn't there a thread about almost this identical scenario started in the last week or so?
Yeah, over a Sig 556.

Did you get it from SSG Tactical? They were the dealer in that thread too and were being audited.
ken792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:50 PM #8
Wojo's Avatar
Wojo Wojo is offline
SCREW SB 281
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wrong side of the Potomac
Posts: 2,337
Wojo Wojo is offline
SCREW SB 281
Wojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wrong side of the Potomac
Posts: 2,337
Is this the same dealer the other MDS member patronized and got a vist from MSP over. Did we ever find out the dealer for this?

Just when i thought this state could not get any dumber with 2a!

Edit: just behind the 2 post above
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:50 PM #9
SWO Daddy SWO Daddy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Anne Arundel Oblast, USSM
Posts: 1,512
SWO Daddy SWO Daddy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Anne Arundel Oblast, USSM
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
I received a visit from two officers of the Maryland State Police this morning. They rang the doorbell at 6:10 am, apparently to catch me before I could go to work (which they did).

The backstory: back in March, I purchased a heavy-barrel Colt AR-15 A3 from a Virginia dealer at the Chantilly gun show. Since it was a Colt and has a heavy barrel (not M4 or other profile), both the dealer and I agreed it was exempt from the Maryland regulated firearms and so I purchased it over-the-counter (after the normal NICS check).

Their story: the ATF audited this dealer sometime afterwards, and wrote down all purchases made by MD residents and reported them to the State Police. Since the dealer recorded it as "Colt AR-15", the police had to investigate since it could have been an improper purchase of a regulated firearm.

At their request, I retrieved the gun in question from the safe. They verified the serial number and then said I had to register the gun because it was a regulated firearm. And, apparently, the only way to register a gun in MD is to fill out all the MD regulated firearm purchase paperwork, since they insisted I had to fill it out. I tried to argue that it is a Colt and it has a heavy barrel (to which they agreed on both points), but they said it was still regulated. They pulled out a copy of the regulated long gun list and pointed to the AR-15 line, where it says AR-15s and all copies & clones "except for Colt Sporter HBAR". Since my gun is marked "Colt AR-15 A3" and not "Colt Sporter HBAR", they said it was regulated. They were polite and respectful, but very insistent that I had to fill out the paperwork. Even though I really didn't want to, I decided it was probably better to comply than fight the MSP, and filled out the paperwork. They said at some point in the future they would mail me a "not disapproved" notice, so I can take possession of the gun I already own.

Two points to this story:
1) The MD State Police are being very aggressive about tracking down any out-of-state purchases of potentially-regulated firearms.
2) The MD State Police are sticking to the exact wording of the regulated firearms list and consider any AR-15s not marked "Colt Sporter HBAR" to be regulated. This also means that it may not be possible to purchase any AR-15s after 1 Oct that aren't specifically marked "Colt Sporter HBAR", at least if the MSP has any say in the matter.

1. Does this mean MD gun shops can stamp "Colt Sporter HBAR" on anything they want to sell C&C?

2. That's absolute bull$hit. This is almost the same story we heard last week too.
SWO Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:51 PM #10
Ab_Normal's Avatar
Ab_Normal Ab_Normal is offline
Ab_member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Carroll County
Posts: 8,525
Ab_Normal Ab_Normal is offline
Ab_member
Ab_Normal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Carroll County
Posts: 8,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer_jim View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure it has to be marked on the lower receiver hbar. Is yours engraved on the lower?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
What if the barrel was the original 'pencil' profile?
__________________
"No single law, no set of laws can eliminate evil from the world or prevent every senseless act of violence in our society." obama addressing a Sandy Hook memorial service 12/16/2012

“There are enough laws on the books by Congress that are very clear in terms of how we have to enforce our immigration system that for me to simply, through executive order, ignore those congressional mandates, would not conform with my appropriate role as president.” Barrack Obama 3/28/11 from cnsnews.com
Ab_Normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:52 PM #11
SWO Daddy SWO Daddy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Anne Arundel Oblast, USSM
Posts: 1,512
SWO Daddy SWO Daddy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Anne Arundel Oblast, USSM
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojo View Post
Is this the same dealer the other MDS member patronized and got a vist from MSP over. Did we ever find out the dealer for this?

Just when i thought this state could not get any dumber with 2a!

Edit: just behind the 2 post above
I believe he said it was SSG Tactical in Fredericksburg, VA.
SWO Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:53 PM #12
Norton's Avatar
Norton Norton is offline



NRA Endowment Member
Rifleman
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Annapolis
Posts: 70,873
Images: 6
Norton Norton is offline



NRA Endowment Member
Rifleman
Norton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Annapolis
Posts: 70,873
Images: 6
There's no question that they are being directed to take the most narrow interpretation of the law.

It used to be accepted that the "copy/clone" language cut both ways in that a copy of an HBAR was accepted as being non-regulated even if not so stamped.

Obviously they are being directed to interpret the language literally.

There are going to be a ton of people caught up in this one, especially those that were purchasing 16" carbines as "HBARs". There was also a Bushmaster model that was a direct copy of the Colt HBAR that was a very popular gun in Maryland about 10 years ago.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:53 PM #13
Ab_Normal's Avatar
Ab_Normal Ab_Normal is offline
Ab_member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Carroll County
Posts: 8,525
Ab_Normal Ab_Normal is offline
Ab_member
Ab_Normal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Carroll County
Posts: 8,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWO Daddy View Post
1. Does this mean MD gun shops can stamp "Colt Sporter HBAR" on anything they want to sell C&C?

2. That's absolute bull$hit. This is almost the same story we heard last week too.
I think you are onto something.
__________________
"No single law, no set of laws can eliminate evil from the world or prevent every senseless act of violence in our society." obama addressing a Sandy Hook memorial service 12/16/2012

“There are enough laws on the books by Congress that are very clear in terms of how we have to enforce our immigration system that for me to simply, through executive order, ignore those congressional mandates, would not conform with my appropriate role as president.” Barrack Obama 3/28/11 from cnsnews.com
Ab_Normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:53 PM #14
-Z/28-'s Avatar
-Z/28- -Z/28- is offline
I wanna go fast
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,107
Images: 2
-Z/28- -Z/28- is offline
I wanna go fast
-Z/28-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,107
Images: 2
This is the second reported case of this bullying tactic. I don't like it.
__________________

“Driving a muscle car fast isn't that fun, it's driving one slowly and making a ton of noise and pissing people off, that's what’s fun.” –Matt Farah
-Z/28- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:57 PM #15
Ab_Normal's Avatar
Ab_Normal Ab_Normal is offline
Ab_member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Carroll County
Posts: 8,525
Ab_Normal Ab_Normal is offline
Ab_member
Ab_Normal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Carroll County
Posts: 8,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
There's no question that they are being directed to take the most narrow interpretation of the law.

It used to be accepted that the "copy/clone" language cut both ways in that a copy of an HBAR was accepted as being non-regulated even if not so stamped.

Obviously they are being directed to interpret the language literally.

There are going to be a ton of people caught up in this one, especially those that were purchasing 16" carbines as "HBARs". There was also a Bushmaster model that was a direct copy of the Colt HBAR that was a very popular gun in Maryland about 10 years ago.
What do I have to do to become an industry partner offering on site 'Colt Sporter HBAR' stamping services?
__________________
"No single law, no set of laws can eliminate evil from the world or prevent every senseless act of violence in our society." obama addressing a Sandy Hook memorial service 12/16/2012

“There are enough laws on the books by Congress that are very clear in terms of how we have to enforce our immigration system that for me to simply, through executive order, ignore those congressional mandates, would not conform with my appropriate role as president.” Barrack Obama 3/28/11 from cnsnews.com
Ab_Normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:57 PM #16
crolfe1984's Avatar
crolfe1984 crolfe1984 is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Baltimore City, MD
Posts: 351
crolfe1984 crolfe1984 is offline
Enthusiast
crolfe1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Baltimore City, MD
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
I received a visit from two officers of the Maryland State Police this morning.
We have a lot in common... See my thread here: www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=130679

I was told the same about my SIG 556.
crolfe1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:58 PM #17
bpm32 bpm32 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 311
bpm32 bpm32 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 311
Damn, MSP changes the rules again. Thought we had a gentleman's agreement on the HBARs...
bpm32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:58 PM #18
SWO Daddy SWO Daddy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Anne Arundel Oblast, USSM
Posts: 1,512
SWO Daddy SWO Daddy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Anne Arundel Oblast, USSM
Posts: 1,512
So...does anyone think MD gun shops aren't next on the list for this?

Maybe an FFL can answer - do you have to keep separate books on you unregulated sales?
SWO Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:00 PM #19
Wojo's Avatar
Wojo Wojo is offline
SCREW SB 281
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wrong side of the Potomac
Posts: 2,337
Wojo Wojo is offline
SCREW SB 281
Wojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wrong side of the Potomac
Posts: 2,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Z/28- View Post
This is the second reported case of this bullying tactic. I don't like it.
Yup. I had the talk with the wife in case they show up for some crazy reason. I am going to have a little different starategy though; no warrant no entry. Sorry, i have nothing to hide but i am not just gonna allow this BS.
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:01 PM #20
-Z/28-'s Avatar
-Z/28- -Z/28- is offline
I wanna go fast
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,107
Images: 2
-Z/28- -Z/28- is offline
I wanna go fast
-Z/28-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,107
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm32 View Post
Damn, MSP changes the rules again. Thought we had a gentleman's agreement on the HBARs...
Don't take this out on the MSP. The Troopers were pawns in this scenario. These orders are coming from higher up.

__________________

“Driving a muscle car fast isn't that fun, it's driving one slowly and making a ton of noise and pissing people off, that's what’s fun.” –Matt Farah
-Z/28- is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2017, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service