Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues

Notices

Old September 10th, 2013, 07:40 PM #1

A visit from the Maryland State Police

I received a visit from two officers of the Maryland State Police this morning. They rang the doorbell at 6:10 am, apparently to catch me before I could go to work (which they did).

The backstory: back in March, I purchased a heavy-barrel Colt AR-15 A3 from a Virginia dealer at the Chantilly gun show. Since it was a Colt and has a heavy barrel (not M4 or other profile), both the dealer and I agreed it was exempt from the Maryland regulated firearms and so I purchased it over-the-counter (after the normal NICS check).

Their story: the ATF audited this dealer sometime afterwards, and wrote down all purchases made by MD residents and reported them to the State Police. Since the dealer recorded it as "Colt AR-15", the police had to investigate since it could have been an improper purchase of a regulated firearm.

At their request, I retrieved the gun in question from the safe. They verified the serial number and then said I had to register the gun because it was a regulated firearm. And, apparently, the only way to register a gun in MD is to fill out all the MD regulated firearm purchase paperwork, since they insisted I had to fill it out. I tried to argue that it is a Colt and it has a heavy barrel (to which they agreed on both points), but they said it was still regulated. They pulled out a copy of the regulated long gun list and pointed to the AR-15 line, where it says AR-15s and all copies & clones "except for Colt Sporter HBAR". Since my gun is marked "Colt AR-15 A3" and not "Colt Sporter HBAR", they said it was regulated. They were polite and respectful, but very insistent that I had to fill out the paperwork. Even though I really didn't want to, I decided it was probably better to comply than fight the MSP, and filled out the paperwork. They said at some point in the future they would mail me a "not disapproved" notice, so I can take possession of the gun I already own.

Two points to this story:
1) The MD State Police are being very aggressive about tracking down any out-of-state purchases of potentially-regulated firearms.
2) The MD State Police are sticking to the exact wording of the regulated firearms list and consider any AR-15s not marked "Colt Sporter HBAR" to be regulated. This also means that it may not be possible to purchase any AR-15s after 1 Oct that aren't specifically marked "Colt Sporter HBAR", at least if the MSP has any say in the matter.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:42 PM #2

Deja Vu?
ROLL TIDE!!
rseymorejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:43 PM #3
Beer Czar

Beer Czar

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure it has to be marked on the lower receiver hbar. Is yours engraved on the lower?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:44 PM #4
Gone living free now!!!

Gone living free now!!!

Ok I would be calling a pro-2A lawyer
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:46 PM #5
Habitual Testifier

Habitual Testifier

Did they take the gun or leave it with you?

"The heart of the matter then is not the existence of guns, knives or pressure cookers, it is this: It’s the evil lurking in the hearts of people. And there is only one solution to that problem.
His name is Jesus Christ, and the change He brings to a person’s heart is the ultimate cure for the violence and wickedness that surrounds us." Jim Daly
pbharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:48 PM #6
Garrett Co Hooligan #1

Garrett Co Hooligan #1

Wasn't there a thread about almost this same scenario started in the last week or so?

"Happiness is also a warm Beagle" - j8064
j8064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:49 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by j8064 View Post
Wasn't there a thread about almost this identical scenario started in the last week or so?
Yeah, over a Sig 556.

Did you get it from SSG Tactical? They were the dealer in that thread too and were being audited.
ken792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:50 PM #8
SCREW SB 281

SCREW SB 281

Is this the same dealer the other MDS member patronized and got a vist from MSP over. Did we ever find out the dealer for this?

Just when i thought this state could not get any dumber with 2a!

Edit: just behind the 2 post above
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:50 PM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
I received a visit from two officers of the Maryland State Police this morning. They rang the doorbell at 6:10 am, apparently to catch me before I could go to work (which they did).

The backstory: back in March, I purchased a heavy-barrel Colt AR-15 A3 from a Virginia dealer at the Chantilly gun show. Since it was a Colt and has a heavy barrel (not M4 or other profile), both the dealer and I agreed it was exempt from the Maryland regulated firearms and so I purchased it over-the-counter (after the normal NICS check).

Their story: the ATF audited this dealer sometime afterwards, and wrote down all purchases made by MD residents and reported them to the State Police. Since the dealer recorded it as "Colt AR-15", the police had to investigate since it could have been an improper purchase of a regulated firearm.

At their request, I retrieved the gun in question from the safe. They verified the serial number and then said I had to register the gun because it was a regulated firearm. And, apparently, the only way to register a gun in MD is to fill out all the MD regulated firearm purchase paperwork, since they insisted I had to fill it out. I tried to argue that it is a Colt and it has a heavy barrel (to which they agreed on both points), but they said it was still regulated. They pulled out a copy of the regulated long gun list and pointed to the AR-15 line, where it says AR-15s and all copies & clones "except for Colt Sporter HBAR". Since my gun is marked "Colt AR-15 A3" and not "Colt Sporter HBAR", they said it was regulated. They were polite and respectful, but very insistent that I had to fill out the paperwork. Even though I really didn't want to, I decided it was probably better to comply than fight the MSP, and filled out the paperwork. They said at some point in the future they would mail me a "not disapproved" notice, so I can take possession of the gun I already own.

Two points to this story:
1) The MD State Police are being very aggressive about tracking down any out-of-state purchases of potentially-regulated firearms.
2) The MD State Police are sticking to the exact wording of the regulated firearms list and consider any AR-15s not marked "Colt Sporter HBAR" to be regulated. This also means that it may not be possible to purchase any AR-15s after 1 Oct that aren't specifically marked "Colt Sporter HBAR", at least if the MSP has any say in the matter.

1. Does this mean MD gun shops can stamp "Colt Sporter HBAR" on anything they want to sell C&C?

2. That's absolute bull$hit. This is almost the same story we heard last week too.
SWO Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:51 PM #10
Ab_member

Ab_member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer_jim View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure it has to be marked on the lower receiver hbar. Is yours engraved on the lower?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
What if the barrel was the original 'pencil' profile?

“There are enough laws on the books by Congress that are very clear in terms of how we have to enforce our immigration system that for me to simply, through executive order, ignore those congressional mandates, would not conform with my appropriate role as president.” Barrack Obama 3/28/11 from cnsnews.com
Ab_Normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:52 PM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojo View Post
Is this the same dealer the other MDS member patronized and got a vist from MSP over. Did we ever find out the dealer for this?

Just when i thought this state could not get any dumber with 2a!

Edit: just behind the 2 post above
I believe he said it was SSG Tactical in Fredericksburg, VA.
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:53 PM #12

NRA Endowment Member
Rifleman

NRA Endowment Member
Rifleman

There's no question that they are being directed to take the most narrow interpretation of the law.

It used to be accepted that the "copy/clone" language cut both ways in that a copy of an HBAR was accepted as being non-regulated even if not so stamped.

Obviously they are being directed to interpret the language literally.

There are going to be a ton of people caught up in this one, especially those that were purchasing 16" carbines as "HBARs". There was also a Bushmaster model that was a direct copy of the Colt HBAR that was a very popular gun in Maryland about 10 years ago.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:53 PM #13
Ab_member

Ab_member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWO Daddy View Post
1. Does this mean MD gun shops can stamp "Colt Sporter HBAR" on anything they want to sell C&C?

2. That's absolute bull$hit. This is almost the same story we heard last week too.
I think you are onto something.

“There are enough laws on the books by Congress that are very clear in terms of how we have to enforce our immigration system that for me to simply, through executive order, ignore those congressional mandates, would not conform with my appropriate role as president.” Barrack Obama 3/28/11 from cnsnews.com
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:53 PM #14
I wanna go fast

I wanna go fast

This is the second reported case of this bullying tactic. I don't like it.

“Driving a muscle car fast isn't that fun, it's driving one slowly and making a ton of noise and pissing people off, that's what’s fun.” –Matt Farah
-Z/28- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:57 PM #15
Ab_member

Ab_member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
There's no question that they are being directed to take the most narrow interpretation of the law.

It used to be accepted that the "copy/clone" language cut both ways in that a copy of an HBAR was accepted as being non-regulated even if not so stamped.

Obviously they are being directed to interpret the language literally.

There are going to be a ton of people caught up in this one, especially those that were purchasing 16" carbines as "HBARs". There was also a Bushmaster model that was a direct copy of the Colt HBAR that was a very popular gun in Maryland about 10 years ago.
What do I have to do to become an industry partner offering on site 'Colt Sporter HBAR' stamping services?

Old September 10th, 2013, 07:57 PM #16
Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
I received a visit from two officers of the Maryland State Police this morning.
We have a lot in common... See my thread here: www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=130679

I was told the same about my SIG 556.
crolfe1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:58 PM #17

Damn, MSP changes the rules again. Thought we had a gentleman's agreement on the HBARs...
bpm32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:58 PM #18

So...does anyone think MD gun shops aren't next on the list for this?

Maybe an FFL can answer - do you have to keep separate books on you unregulated sales?
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:00 PM #19
SCREW SB 281

SCREW SB 281

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Z/28- View Post
This is the second reported case of this bullying tactic. I don't like it.
Yup. I had the talk with the wife in case they show up for some crazy reason. I am going to have a little different starategy though; no warrant no entry. Sorry, i have nothing to hide but i am not just gonna allow this BS.
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:01 PM #20
I wanna go fast

I wanna go fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm32 View Post
Damn, MSP changes the rules again. Thought we had a gentleman's agreement on the HBARs...
Don't take this out on the MSP. The Troopers were pawns in this scenario. These orders are coming from higher up.

“Driving a muscle car fast isn't that fun, it's driving one slowly and making a ton of noise and pissing people off, that's what’s fun.” –Matt Farah
-Z/28- is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues