Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Neighborhood > West Virginia

Notices

Old August 13th, 2013, 11:08 AM #11

You can get more than that in Frederick County for sure...

I live in Myersville area...here is one $465k 3.6acres

http://www.mrishomes.com/homes-for-s...TA-CT-97956476
Speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 11:18 AM #12

I have family who moved to the panhandle from Baltimore. That was well over a decade ago and for half of that time they have needed outside financial support(me) in order to survive. They will likely soon be returning to Maryland now that the housing market is somewhat stabilizing.

Jobs, Jobs, Jobs, and again I say Jobs is a big issue. The local employer closed up shop and things have gone downhill.
As long as you have stable income you'll be fine (true anywhere), but in WV if you're relying on a local skilled job you are in danger. There are not many local options for replacing a lost job when there is generally only one of that type of a company in a large geographic area.

Expect long drives for most everything unless you live in town. Fine as long as you account for it. No more quick trips to pick up a pizza, etc... Not too big of a deal really. Consolidate shopping trips in a day.

Gun laws, what laws? Just kidding, but compared to MD...
I carry and shoot there with no issues.

Schools, not so good. Teachers are underpaid and recruitment of top talent is low.

Potential neighbor problems, yes.
Potential drug problems, yes.
These happen everywhere.

I considered moving there with the previously relocated family but jobs for wife and self were the biggest limiting factor.
AntiGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 12:02 PM #13

Not totally thread hijack, its on the same subject, but my inlaws are thinking of moving from Bel Air to the panhandle after they retire. They have pensions so jobs are not an issue and schools are not an issue.

Can anyone make recommendations about nice areas to start the looking process. They are looking for a quiet home with some land not in town in the panhandle region within a reasonable weekend driving distance so wife, kids and I can visit.
Thanks
Tom
T-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 12:25 PM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppaj View Post
I have employees that live there and take the train in to work. The biggest concern that most of them have is their schools are apparently not real high quality. I don't know if you have school age children, so take that for what it's worth.
Two and soon to be three so...yea.

One of my staff lives in WV and moved from MD, and she doesnt like it. She says the people are backwards and the actual system that is in place (court, hospital, schools) are not the best. Which is where I have some concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
You can get more than that in Frederick County for sure...

I live in Myersville area...here is one $465k 3.6acres

http://www.mrishomes.com/homes-for-s...TA-CT-97956476
Yea, I like something like that however the wife wants new construction (or very near new/ total rehab) To get what we both want is out of our price range.

I was even thinking about right over the line in PA. Its about 30mins either way to WV or PA from my office here in Frederick.

“... arms ... discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property.... Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law-abiding) deprived the use of them.” —Thomas Paine

NRA Range Safety Officer
Maryland Designated Collector
Amateur Ham
jpo183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 12:31 PM #15
JamBandGalore

Send a message via AIM to bean93x
JamBandGalore

I love WV.. You can do anything you want if you have the $.

How ever keep in mind its a bunch of fat, ignorant rednecks. I have a love hate relationship with WV..
Old August 13th, 2013, 12:33 PM #16
JamBandGalore

JamBandGalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpo183 View Post
Two and soon to be three so...yea.

One of my staff lives in WV and moved from MD, and she doesnt like it. She says the people are backwards and the actual system that is in place (court, hospital, schools) are not the best. Which is where I have some concern.

Yea, I like something like that however the wife wants new construction (or very near new/ total rehab) To get what we both want is out of our price range.

I was even thinking about right over the line in PA. Its about 30mins either way to WV or PA from my office here in Frederick.
Truth.
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:23 PM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean93x View Post
I love WV.. You can do anything you want if you have the $.

How ever keep in mind its a bunch of fat, ignorant rednecks. I have a love hate relationship with WV..
If you are a gun owner in Maryland, you are viewed/thought of as this my the majority of people that live in this state, whether you fit the description or not.....

What I don't get is all those that can't get over that there is not the nightlife/shopping etc. Oh boo hoo there isn't a starbucks on every corner....the way I see it you have a choice, live in Maryland and deal with BS gun laws being taxed out of a decent life or move to WV where you can save money and have more freedom.

For jobs, if you work in Fredrick and have a good paying job, you can still live in WV and commute to work. It's not that far people, think of all the people that migrated to Shrewsbury Pa from Baltimore, they still work in Baltimore, but just commute down 83 every day. That commute is farther then say Harpers Ferry to Fredrick. Also WV and western MD sits on a huge ocean of Natural gas, that WV is getting pretty heavily involved in fracking to capture it. Maryland on the other hand is moving towards banning/and preventing that from happening. This is the cusp of a huge economic boon that will soon be happening in WV.

For schools, my kids already have to go to catholic school, because the schools in my area suck, so it won't be much of adjustment to have them go to a private/catholic school in WV.

Chris Rummel
Rumnhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:28 PM #18
товарищ плачевная

товарищ плачевная

not to hijack but every piece of land I see is part of a subdivision does that mean a HOA?
Old August 13th, 2013, 03:47 PM #19
Lurker.

Lurker.

I defected to West Virginia over a year ago. I am not a homeowner in WV though, so I have no insight to anything about that.

Obviously the gun laws are much much better, and for many gun enthusiasts this is enough reason to cross the river.

As others here have stated... jobs kinda suck. I still work in Hagerstown.

GAS TAX. As much as I hate giving any more money to MD, the gas tax in WV is significantly higher. Typically expect to pay 10 cents more per gallon compared to MD or more. Since I work in Hagerstown I just get gas there.

My auto insurance went down significantly when I moved here, because WV does not require PIP, unlike MD.

No sales tax on food as of July 1 this year.

I had an incident where someone illegally entered my car. Nothing was stolen that I am aware of. My fault for leaving it unlocked ... but crime does happen in this state.

Edit: Speaking of cars... registration fees and such are cheaper. NO EMISSIONS TESTING WOOT.
krew08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 04:39 PM #20

The panhandle is the most builtup and yuppiefied portion of WV ., so the culture shock will be least. The Governmental infrastructure will be smaller , with fewer layers than Md , but less corrupt. Generally speaking that will be an advantage.

For the OP's situation , the commute is reasonable. As he noted , the other option of PA is about the same commute , so the real debate is WV v Pa .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Neighborhood > West Virginia