• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sheat36

May 24, 2012
    Westminster, MD
    What's the difference between 6061 and 7075, other than $10?

6061 This is the least expensive and most versatile of the heat-treatable aluminum alloys. It has most of the good qualities of aluminum. It offers a range of good mechanical properties and good corrosion resistance. It can be fabricated by most of the commonly used techniques. In the annealed condition it has good workability. In the T4 condition fairly severe forming operations may be accomplished. The full T6 properties may be obtained by artificial aging. It is welded by all methods and can be furnace brazed. It is available in the clad form ('Alclad") with a thin surface layer of high purity aluminum to improve both appearance and corrosion resistance. Applications: This grade is used for a wide variety of products and applications from truck bodies and frames to screw machine parts and structural components. 6061 is used where appearance and better corrosion resistance with good strength are required.

7075 This is one of the highest strength aluminum alloys available Its strength-to weight ratio is excellent and it is ideally used for highly stressed parts. It may be formed in the annealed condition and subsequently heat treated. Spot or flash welding can be used, although arc and gas welding are not recommended. It is available in the clad ('Alclad") form to improve the corrosion resistance with the over-all high strength being only moderately affected. Applications: Used where highest strength is needed.

mhemling33

May 7, 2013
    Forest Hill
    7075 is considered a better aluminum to use because of it's strength and because it is what the military uses in their M16. 6061 is cheaper then 7075.

There is a lot of debate wether it is necessary to use 7075 in a lower receiver. In my opinion there is not any reason why 6061 is not satisfactory to use for a lower; but other people may not agree with that.

This I pulled from wiki
    6061-T6
    T6 temper 6061 has an ultimate tensile strength of at least 42,000 psi (300 MPa) and yield strength of at least 35,000 psi (241 MPa). More typical values are 45,000 psi (310 MPa) and 40,000 psi (275 MPa), respectively.[4] In thicknesses of 0.250 inch (6.35 mm) or less, it has elongation of 8% or more; in thicker sections, it has elongation of 10%. T651 temper has similar mechanical properties. The typical value for thermal conductivity for 6061-T6 at 80°C is around 152 W/m K. A material data sheet [5] defines the fatigue limit under cyclic load as 14,000 psi (100 MPa) for 500,000,000 completely reversed cycles using a standard RR Moore test machine and specimen. Note that aluminum does not exhibit a well defined "knee" on its S-n graph, so there is some debate as to how many cycles equates to "infinite life". Also note the actual value of fatigue limit for an application can be dramatically affected by the conventional de-rating factors of loading, gradient, and surface finish.

6061-T6 is used for:
    the construction of bicycle frames and components.
    many fly fishing reels.
    The famous Pioneer plaque was made of this particular alloy.
    the secondary chambers and baffle systems in firearm sound suppressors (primarily pistol suppressors for reduced weight and functionality), while the primary expansion chambers usually require 17-4PH or 303 stainless steel or titanium.[9][10]
    The upper and lower receivers of many AR-15 variants.

7075-T6
    T6 temper 7075 has an ultimate tensile strength of 74,000–78,000 psi (510–572 MPa) and yield strength of at least 63,000–69,000 psi (434–503 MPa). It has a failure elongation of 5–11%.

7000 series alloys such as 7075 are often used in transport applications, including marine, automotive and aviation, due to their high strength-to-density ratio.[2][4] Their strength and light weight is also desirable in other fields. Rock climbing equipment, bicycle components, and hang glider airframes are commonly made from 7075 aluminium alloy. Hobby grade RC models commonly use 7075 and 6061 for chassis plates. One interesting use for 7075 is in the manufacture of M16 rifles for the American military. In particular high quality M16 rifle lower and upper receivers as well as extension tubes are typically made from 7075-T6 alloy. It is also commonly used in shafts for lacrosse sticks, and camping knife and fork sets. Desert Tactical Arms and French armament company PGM use it for their precision rifles.
    Due to its strength, high density, thermal properties and its ability to be highly polished, 7075 is widely used in mold tool manufacturing

I found this in regards to bicycle frames.

Alloy Composition 6061 Aluminum
    The 6061 alloy of aluminum is primarily composed of magnesium and silicon. This gives 6061 aluminum alloy superior welding ability over other alloys of aluminum, which are traditionally difficult to weld because of their chemical makeup and lack of conductivity. Some other elements of 6061 aluminum alloy include small amounts of iron, copper, manganese, magnesium, chromium, zinc and titanium.

Manufacturing Uses of 6061 Aluminum
    The 6061 composition of aluminum is an extensively used material for the construction of a wide variety of materials. Bicycles, airplane parts, automotive parts and aluminum cans are all constructed utilizing 6061 aluminum. In many cases, the foil interior wrapper on food containers is also made with 6061 aluminum alloy. Because the material is extremely workable, it is an ideal material for use in these products. Bicycles in particular benefit greatly from the use of 6061 aluminum alloy because of the ease with which it is welded and the rigid strength of the final product when compared to its overall weight.

7075 Aluminum Alloy Composition
    The 7075 aluminum alloy, while not being entirely different from 6061 aluminum alloy, is both more expensive and more prone to corrosion than 6061 aluminum alloy. The 7075 alloy is primarily composed of zinc as the alloying agent of the aluminum, as well as higher levels of magnesium and copper than are found in 6061 aluminum. This makes this composition of aluminum alloy as hard as many steels while still retaining the lightweight qualities of aluminum.

7075 Aluminum Alloy Uses
    Uses for 7075 aluminum alloy include many applications in which it is important to have the strength of steel with the light weight of aluminum. For this reason, 7075 aluminum is extensively used in military aircraft construction and is also used to build boats and in some automotive parts. Some sports equipment also utilizes 7075 aluminum alloy because of its strength and light weight. In particular, lacrosse stick shafts, bicycle components and rock climbing equipment are generally constructed using 7075 aluminum alloy.

Good job sheat36! You beat me to it

NattyBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2010
    My buddy has NOT received any emails or anything. He said he called and they said it shipped Friday or Monday and that he would send another email with tracking. That was 2 hours ago... I know a few said they received but I know I wouldnt place an order...

mhemling33

May 7, 2013
    Forest Hill
    I talked to the one guy and he said that they got a little messed up with the holiday but they shipped a lot of orders out today.

I am sorry if you guys are worried I would be too, but the people that have received stuff already can also vouch that they are good people and not a scam.

It is really bad now that you have to worry about everything being a scam, I am just as paranoid as any of you. This is why I am grateful for things like this forum, where we can help each other choose the right people to deal with.

If you guys want I can keep track in the OP of recent dates (ex. order date, shipping notification date, delivery date, and your overall opinion of the product based on a 5 star scale).

Meatasaur

Feb 21, 2013
    I received my Ares Armor stealth kit yesterday and just saw this today. Just bought another lower using the discount code. Thanks! Anyone want to get together and have a milling party? I had originally planned to use the milling machine at work but I don't work there anymore. So now I have a lower and the jigs but no access to a milling machine. I am more than happy to share my jig for access to a milling machine! :)

tapeman1

Ultimate Member
    Aug 31, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    I called them last night after I posted that. The guy was cool and very helpful. They've been having a bunch of computer problems in the last week. That coupled with the holiday really messed their system all up. He said my stuff should be going out today or tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom