• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Okay so from the switchblade thread it has me so confused whether you can even own a switchblade in MD muchless conceal it. My dad used to have one and did get arrested for it because of a DWI LONG ago.

The question is that I see people selling butterfly knives in the mall and was wondering the legality of them. I assume it must be legal to buy and sell them but what about possession?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Okay so from the switchblade thread it has me so confused whether you can even own a switchblade in MD muchless conceal it. My dad used to have one and did get arrested for it because of a DWI LONG ago.

The question is that I see people selling butterfly knives in the mall and was wondering the legality of them. I assume it must be legal to buy and sell them but what about possession?
    As near as I can tell, butterfly knives, simply due to the fact that they don't have a spring loaded blade, fall under the category of "penknife".

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    As Trickg said, but there is confusion because they may also fall under the definition of gravity knife. Although the court precedent about penknives seems rather explicit to me that ANY folding knife that is not automatic is a penknife.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It's kind of an interesting rule regarding the definition of "penknife" too because there are knives that are "spring assist" that are essentially switchblades, and the Emerson offerings are even faster with the way they open with the "wave opening feature" that catches on the lip of your pocket, extracting the blade as it's pulled out. The Emerson Karambit is designed so that not only is the blade automatically deployed, but with the ring on the end, it's in your hand in a usable position (reversed fighting grip) as soon as the blade is deployed - and yet by the definition of the law, it is not a switch blade or gravity knife.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    It's kind of an interesting rule regarding the definition of "penknife" too because there are knives that are "spring assist" that are essentially switchblades, and the Emerson offerings are even faster with the way they open with the "wave opening feature" that catches on the lip of your pocket, extracting the blade as it's pulled out. The Emerson Karambit is designed so that not only is the blade automatically deployed, but with the ring on the end, it's in your hand in a usable position (reversed fighting grip) as soon as the blade is deployed - and yet by the definition of the law, it is not a switch blade or gravity knife.

(1) a knife or a penknife having a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, commonly called a switchblade knife or a switchblade penknife; or
    The srping assist knives don't have a button, spring or other device that one applies pressure to which is in the handle of the knife.....or at least this is how I gather it.

There is some case law that said as long as it is a penknife, it does not matter if it is concealed open or closed it is not illegal.

I am not a lawyer.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    With I think the exception of shooting knives, no knives are illegal in MD by state law (local laws differ).
    It is the concealed carry and the transfer of switchblades (OTF in this case) and concealed carry of some other knives that are prohibitted.

So can I buy those knives or is that against the law under the transfer law? BTW-I live in Ho.Co. if it matters.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    So can I buy those knives or is that against the law under the transfer law? BTW-I live in Ho.Co. if it matters.
    I know switchblades are illegal in Baltimore city and I think OC even in your own home, but I do not know about Howard.

Yes, you can buy one of those knives, but only when physically in the few certain states where they sell them legally because sales of them across state lines is illegal under federal law.
    If someone had one in MD, it would be illegal for them to give or sell one to you as I understand it.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    I know switchblades are illegal in Baltimore city and I think OC even in your own home, but I do not know about Howard.

Yes, you can buy one of those knives, but only when physically in the few certain states where they sell them legally because sales of them across state lines is illegal under federal law.
    If someone had one in MD, it would be illegal for them to give or sell one to you as I understand it.

So I can't buy it mail order then?

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    No, you can buy it mail order, but only when you are in Fl, GA, CA, AR...:D

No, you cannot order it mail order to MD or across any state lines.

So I can go to FL and buy it then bring it back to MD as long as I don't possess it on my person?

God, laws are stupid! Can't even own a stupid knife.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    So I can go to FL and buy it then bring it back to MD as long as I don't possess it on my person?

God, laws are stupid! Can't even own a stupid knife.

YOu can possess it and I think you can bring it back to MD across state lines, but I am not sure if you will have to travel through a state where they are illegal though.
    Do not fly with it even in checked luggage I hear. You would likely have to travel by ground.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Ranger Surplus in Rockville sells butterfly knives, last time I was there. Also saw a bunch at the Silverado Gun Show in Frederick in November.

WbradM

Oct 3, 2009
    legal to own but not to carry

To the best of my understanding, butterfly knives are legal to own (usually as martial arts weapons) but are not permissible for carry. Like most martial arts weapons you can own it, transport it to and from martial arts activities use it in any private property who's owner allows it but concealed carry is not permitted.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    To the best of my understanding, butterfly knives are legal to own (usually as martial arts weapons) but are not permissible for carry. Like most martial arts weapons you can own it, transport it to and from martial arts activities use it in any private property who's owner allows it but concealed carry is not permitted.
    The MD case law says that any folding knife where the blade folds into the handle is a "penknife", so it seems the ballisong knives are legal to carry concealed by state law alone.
    Openly carried there is no state law against carrying even swords.

I am not a lawyer, but if you read 4-101 of the criminal law article you will see no prohibition on the open carry of a weapon by adults who do not have the intent to unlawfully injure.

WbradM

Oct 3, 2009
    Not a lawyer just a Karate geek.

While the strict wording of Maryland law may allow open carry, the practical definition is legal to own questionable to carry illegal to conceal carry. I want to stay out of jail more that I want to publicly make a legal point. Especially since there are equally good and unquestionably legal choices available.

I'm basing this my experience as a martial artist not a lawyer. In the particular case of butterfly knives I think these fall under the large legal definition of a gravity knife.

I have a friend who was stopped and detained for walking home carrying a sword. A man who robed my karate instructor's truck was caught because he for questioned for carrying one of the stolen tonfa (a generic weapon that wouldn't stand out as one of the stolen items).

While you may not eventually be convicted; open carrying a martial arts weapon will get you questioned and possibly detained. A butterfly knife is most likely the one that could lead to some sort of arrest or conviction depending on a prosecutor's and judges interpretation of existing law particularly since any reasonable way of carrying this knife could be interpreted as concealed.

The law is stupid but I would rather go around it than through it.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom